Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Heritage Collection, Waterside

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card

blogger IanVisits has been to Waterside to visit the BA Heritage Collection, which is open to the public by appointment - and written about it here.

...and if you want to find out more, or just look at some pictures of old BA things, you can go to ba.com/museum.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by teflon
blogger IanVisits has been to Waterside to visit the BA Heritage Collection, which is open to the public by appointment - and written about it here.

...and if you want to find out more, or just look at some pictures of old BA things, you can go to ba.com/museum.
Well worth a visit, though when I went there I didn't feel it was appropriate to take photos and post them online as people should really go and visit for themselves, plus I'm a terrible photographer and an even worse blogger
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by teflon
....or just look at some pictures of old BA things, you can go to ba.com/museum.
That is no way to talk about Pucci, SRG or BBB!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's a shame its not more on public view.

Did they consider setting up a museum and and display cases in the departures halls of T5 like they have at SFO?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
There was a Business Traveller board meet up there last year, whilst the place was in the stages of being fitted out - excellent experience and would go back to see it in all its glory.

Definitely a recommendation from me.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Nice collection of pics in that blog ^
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:26 pm

Please do make time to see it, it is a wonderful place and you can grab a coffee at the pavement cafe next door and you may bump into Keith....
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
Please do make time to see it, it is a wonderful place and you can grab a coffee at the pavement cafe next door and you may bump into Keith....
Keith? Chegwin? Carradine? Richards?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by RB211
Williams - BA's Chief Exec.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Williams - BA's Chief Exec.
Oh, that Keith!

rb211.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by RB211
Chegwin, if you're very very lucky....
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:05 am
Used to be BAWatersideGuy

Programs: BAEC Blue, El Al Matmid, Amex Plat, PP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CX Gold, C.Carlson Gold, Hertz/Avis
To add my comments. The Heritage Collection is certainly interesting for those in to the history of our airline .etc.

To be exacting this has now been renamed as The Speedbird Centre and still includes the museum/ archive elements.

Additionally, there is now a section showcasing the current seating and interior designs.

To quote the announcement when this new Centre was unveiled:
New Speedbird Centre now open at Waterside

It's taken nearly three years of hard work and joint effort from colleagues across the airline and this week the new Speedbird Centre launched in a fantastic new home in Waterside.

The centre, created to reflect British Airways' past, present and future, occupies the site of the former British Airways Heritage Centre, which has been voluntarily managed by Paul Jarvis along with his team of dedicated volunteers for the last eight years.

The BA archives and museum was founded thanks to the foresight of several directors from BOAC and BEA, who feared their respective histories might be lost with their merger and the creation of British Airways in 1974; the new space honours the past, but looks ahead too.

The Speedbird Centre, a brand name associated with British Airways and its predecessor companies since the early 1930s, is a proud reflection of what BA has done as a company over 90 years, what it offers as its key products and services today, and a glimpse of the future. It will be a permanent showcase and source of inspiration and information for the future.

Visitors will be able to see just how much of British Airways' history is reflected in its brand today through the airline's new advertising campaign, keeping BA's rich heritage alive and building on the solid foundations of the past - a clear justification for the motto To Fly. To Serve.
Indeed one can visit and take a coffee at the Pavement Cafe. Although if ou actually like your coffee to taste of coffee, I would recommend walking a little further down "The Street" to the Espresso Bar, which has more of a standard coffee-house feel.

BA Waterside Guy
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy
To add my comments. The Heritage Collection is certainly interesting for those in to the history of our airline .etc.

To be exacting this has now been renamed as The Speedbird Centre and still includes the museum/ archive elements.

Additionally, there is now a section showcasing the current seating and interior designs.

BA Waterside Guy
Although the time we had was much too short, we had an opportunity to visit/tour the Speedbird Centre as part of the BA activities on the TATL portion of OWMD. The seating and interior displays were, of course, a big hit with everyone. I particularly enjoyed the historical displays - aircraft models, uniforms, in-flight service items, etc. We even got to see the silver serving tray that is engraved for Royal Flights. Hope to be able to go back sometime.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Heritage Collection link needing updated?

I really enjoyed reading this. However I see that in the 2000-present section it seems to have stopped at 2005. This despite making references to other dates much further ahead as far as 2010 when Willie Walsh left. Have BA decided not to update this part or maybe I am missing something?

Pete
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

I though if you wanted to see the Heritage Collection you needed to nip down to LGW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.