Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Avios Earning/Converting List

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by meester69
The Tesco Finest World Mastercard earns 1 clubcard point per £2 spend, equal to 1.2 avios per £1 spent.
It hasn't available to new customers for a while, or has it?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Great list.

As an FYI, with Marriott you can get a direct 1:1 conversion to Avios if you choose a travel package, which includes a 7 night hotel stay (https://www.marriott.com/rewards/use...ck.mi#packages)
I don't get it, what is this offer ?

After reading the T+C I still dont get it

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/packinstr.mi
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
It is basically a bonus that Marriott offers for people who take one holiday a year with their points - they get a single hotel for 7 nights for the normal price of those 7 nights, and to be able to convert airmiles for a number of airlines on a 1:1 basis (when you assume that the hotel has a fixed cost, which clearly in the case Marriott don't). They also throw in a Hertz voucher

This does mean if you want to stay in a hotel using your Marriott points for 7 nights you can use this package as a mechanism to get 1:1 points from Marriott to BA. This isn't a loophole (if you cancel your stay after you get the airmiles they will give you pretty much nothing back)

It has long been a perk of the programme, but clearly has very limited usage and you need to have a lot (200k+) of Marriott points and a desire to use the majority for a hotel stay. You can't use it to get 100k Marriott points into 100k avios miles. At the higher level you get marginally over 0.4 points to an avios - but with a 7 night hotel stay thrown in for "free".
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Two more opportunities...

Iberia Credit Cards
While BA don't have a credit card in Spain, Iberia do.
There's the Sendo option, which gives you an Amex (earning 1 Avios per 1 EUR) and a Visa (1 Avios per 2 EUR); and the Max option, which is 9 Avios per 5 EUR for "deferred payment", or 3 Avios per 3 EUR for "full payment"
Full details (in Spanish) at www.iberiacards.es. These options will only pay your Avios into an Iberia Plus account - but provided both accounts have been active for 3 months, you can move the Avios into an Executive Club account.

Cash Passport
There's also the Avios Cash Passport - a reloadable MasterCard available in USD, GBP or EUR. The fees and T&Cs don't make it quite as good as the standard Cash Passport (available through Travelex, et al) but it does have some benefits.

First, the downsides: there's an ATM fee ($2.50/€2/£1.50 per withdrawal); a 2% commission fee for topping up a GBP card; if you've not used it for 12 months, it starts charging an inactivity fee; there's a negative balance fee, and a £6 'cashout' fee. The exchange rate is not quite as favourable as the regular Cash Passport, or using a fee-free card (eg Halifax Clarity) though likely still better than what your bank will offer if you use your debit card.

But: you get 1 Avios per £1 you load onto it, which potentially makes it the best non-Amex earner out there for USD or EUR purchases. If you know what you're going to be spending, then load one of these up with between £100 and £2500, and spend away. If my maths are right, the difference in exchange rate means you'll be effectively paying 4p per Avios. Or, looking at it another way, getting 0.96 Avios per £1.

(If you want to check my working, see this spreadsheet.)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by teflon
. If my maths are right, the difference in exchange rate means you'll be effectively paying 4p per Avios.
And why would you do that? BA only charge around 1.6p/Avios to buy them from them. 4p is way too much.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
The [German] Barclaycard BA Visa Premium only offers 1 Avios per € also.
It's 2 Avios / € on BA spend only.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by meester69
And why would you do that? BA only charge around 1.6p/Avios to buy them from them. 4p is way too much.
I didn't say it was necessarily a good earning opportunity!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teflon
Two more opportunities...

Iberia Credit Cards
While BA don't have a credit card in Spain, Iberia do.
There's the Sendo option, which gives you an Amex (earning 1 Avios per 1 EUR) and a Visa (1 Avios per 2 EUR); and the Max option, which is 9 Avios per 5 EUR for "deferred payment", or 3 Avios per 3 EUR for "full payment"
Full details (in Spanish) at www.iberiacards.es. These options will only pay your Avios into an Iberia Plus account - but provided both accounts have been active for 3 months, you can move the Avios into an Executive Club account.

Cash Passport
There's also the Avios Cash Passport - a reloadable MasterCard available in USD, GBP or EUR. The fees and T&Cs don't make it quite as good as the standard Cash Passport (available through Travelex, et al) but it does have some benefits.

First, the downsides: there's an ATM fee ($2.50/€2/£1.50 per withdrawal); a 2% commission fee for topping up a GBP card; if you've not used it for 12 months, it starts charging an inactivity fee; there's a negative balance fee, and a £6 'cashout' fee. The exchange rate is not quite as favourable as the regular Cash Passport, or using a fee-free card (eg Halifax Clarity) though likely still better than what your bank will offer if you use your debit card.

But: you get 1 Avios per £1 you load onto it, which potentially makes it the best non-Amex earner out there for USD or EUR purchases. If you know what you're going to be spending, then load one of these up with between £100 and £2500, and spend away. If my maths are right, the difference in exchange rate means you'll be effectively paying 4p per Avios. Or, looking at it another way, getting 0.96 Avios per £1.

(If you want to check my working, see this spreadsheet.)
Thanks, added both

Originally Posted by raph
Already on the list!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raph
Sorry, I misunderstood, corrected! Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: BA IHG
Trying to change a BA booking to include my Avios number. MMB won't allow this so I called up the call centre to do this. They only want the last 9 digits of my Avios Number.

I'm a little confused as to what to give them, because my actual Avios card has:
308147 10141xxxx 7 - but technically the last 9 digits are:
0141xxxx7

So, the fact there are 9 digits separated by spaces on the actual card, draws me to those, especially since otherwise my last 9 start with a 0.

Anyone know better - so far I've just gone with 0141xxxx7
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
Trying to change a BA booking to include my Avios number. MMB won't allow this so I called up the call centre to do this. They only want the last 9 digits of my Avios Number.

I'm a little confused as to what to give them, because my actual Avios card has:
308147 10141xxxx 7 - but technically the last 9 digits are:
0141xxxx7

So, the fact there are 9 digits separated by spaces on the actual card, draws me to those, especially since otherwise my last 9 start with a 0.

Anyone know better - so far I've just gone with 0141xxxx7
Well according to the avios website it is the 10141xxxx part I should use for collecting points on BA - so it's all crystal clear (not).
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
May I suggest that you change the link for the Chase card? At the moment it is going to Chase with no bonus miles available.

By following the link through BA, 50000 bonus miles are available. I realize that this link might not always work, but there is usually a link to the Chase offer that is current on the US BA front page.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_us

You could also list the Chase card by name for those who aren't in on the joke.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:31 am

Note that according to this table :

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...arningmiles.do

BAEC gets 500/100 avios per stay, but IB+ get 750/150 per stay, so it makes sense to credit to IB+ and transfer to BAEC.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catch23
Note that according to this table :

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...arningmiles.do

BAEC gets 500/100 avios per stay, but IB+ get 750/150 per stay, so it makes sense to credit to IB+ and transfer to BAEC.
Thanks, noted!

Originally Posted by HilFly
May I suggest that you change the link for the Chase card? At the moment it is going to Chase with no bonus miles available.

By following the link through BA, 50000 bonus miles are available. I realize that this link might not always work, but there is usually a link to the Chase offer that is current on the US BA front page.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_us

You could also list the Chase card by name for those who aren't in on the joke.
Thanks, also done
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was just over on the VS forum (sorry ) and someone said this, they are talking about Avios and I quote....

I should get to 80k fairly easily as it's our mortgage that's been earning the points (without me knowing).
I've asked hijm who it's through, but he is offline now and I'm just dying to know the answer. Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Edit: I just re-read his OP and it's actually Tesco CC points he gets. Sorry i was PWHA (posting whilst half asleep). I still want to know to get CC points on a mortgage though

Re-edit: No, wrong, it's actually Avios he earns and the mortgage is through C+G. I clearly still haven't woken up properly yet!

Last edited by PanGalactic; Feb 13, 2012 at 6:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.