Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On the Uselessness of Avios

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Some people get far too carried away with all this miles malarkey. Analysing their worth down to 0.1 of a cent is a sign that someone has a problem if you ask me.

If I have miles I spend them without giving it too much thought.
Tier points don't concern me...thank goodness for that and if I don't have miles then there is always the old fashioned method of using cash to pay for a ticket.
Some of those can actually work out much better value than using miles and you don't have to worry about finding availability.
Are you really Scottish?

You are, however, clearly part of the diversity that is this Forum. And that makes it interesting.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
And UK ones for that matter!

18,000 Avios + £6.40 GBP for 2 pax DFW-MSY-DFW, which would have cost over £320 GBP. That is a steal in my book, when I am miles rich and cash poor (thanks to the BA sale!)
Another way of placing value on this redemption: using most US domestic FF programs, this same redemption would have required 50K miles. Most US programs have a flat redemption rate of 25K per round-trip ticket rather than a distance (and segment) based chart.

Southwest is an exception as their awards correlate to the actual cost of the flight, and both AA and US offer holders of their affiliated credit cards a break on mileage (AA in the form of a quarterly list of cities that may be flown for 17.5K and US with a 5K reduction off redemption costs for any flight flown solely on their metal), but, keeping in mind that with most US carriers, the dollar cost of a flight has no relationship to its distance (for instance, it's usually cheaper for me to fly ORF-SAN than ORF-BWI), using Avios for short-haul redemptions on AA can make a lot of sense.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
Are you really Scottish?
Yes but a lazy one....and a bit thick when it comes to working out figures.

To be honest if those who complain so much about having to pay BA taxes/charges didn't bother collecting BA miles and just purchased discounted tickets in Y instead then a lot of their angst would disappear.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by d3vski
Still think that 330K for LHR-SYD with stopovers on both inbound/outbound F (using 2-4-1) + £800 is a good deal for 2 people.
Originally Posted by uk1
300k surely!
d3vski is correct (the additional 30k is due to the stopovers) - see this thread.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
No Avios complaints from me either...

I managed to get in my CX redemption before the change and got the JFK-YVR-HKG-DPS-HKG-SFO in F (J on the DPS sectors) for 150k miles and £238.10 in taxes fees and charges. Also, looking for award availability to come back from the US, I can travel in F for 60k instead of it being 75k if I want to which is a saving of 15k points... I think it is great.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:44 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by louie-m
d3vski is correct (the additional 30k is due to the stopovers) - see this thread.
Thanks - I stand corrected - I completely missed it!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
As a 'BA employee' how can you say that .
Oh you are a little devil you....now I must run. I've loads to do before taking charge of my 747 compliment of cherubs all clamouring for my attention......I'm like a mother hen to them.
I've a face pack to apply, nails to sort and glue, iron my size 18 uniform and then pack my French frillies bought from an upmarket fashion house off the Champs Elisa. I tell you this trolleydolly life isn't all glamour you know.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:46 am
uk1
Suspended

Oh you are a little devil you....now I must run. I've loads to do before taking charge of my 747 compliment of cherubs all clamouring for my attention......I'm like a mother hen to them.
I've a face pack to apply, nails to sort and glue, iron my size 18 uniform and then pack my French frillies bought from an upmarket fashion house off the Champs Elisa. I tell you this trolleydolly life isn't all glamour you know.
I do love a spirited filly ....
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by uk1
I do love a spirited filly ....
I do love the internet....you can be what the hell you want and nobody knows if you're telling the truth or not.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by d3vski
Still think that 330K for LHR-SYD with stopovers on both inbound/outbound F (using 2-4-1) + £800 is a good deal for 2 people.
I think the taxes now run over 700 per person, so more 330k plus 1450 pounds I think.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:07 am
uk1
Suspended

I do love the internet....you can be what the hell you want and nobody knows if you're telling the truth or not.
People tell lies!?

No names - no pack drill!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Ferdinand Magellan

1,230,000 miles versus 780,000 miles, and $19,000 versus $700, even though I used three companion BA vouchers. And the UA flight time is around eight hours less in each direction.
Well done. I'm sure we are all glad that you are happy flying UA
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:06 am
Suspended

The devaluation was rubbish. Combined with the "charges" and "surcharges"(BA would have the gall to try to pass along a line item expense as separate from the cost of the ticket), and other miscellaneous and sundry fees(why do I have to pay 4.5 GBP when paying by credit card ?!?), Avios is only useful for short-haul redemptions on AA or upgrading from premium economy to club world.

More annoying, however, is the sneaky and underhanded manner in which they handled the devaluation - refusing to release any details until it was too late. Air Canada also had a devaluation recently, but they gave their members a year's notice. BA did not.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
I did my research on the great resource that is FT.......
I also did my research about 10 years ago, pre-fees up the wazzoo, and determined that BA was an ideal airline to collect my miles to fly where I wanted to go. Unfortunately the program changes force me to go into another direction. I plan to use up my remaining miles on short-haul AA, and trips to South America, and move on. It was great while it lasted, and I will sorely miss it.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by OxonCantab
The devaluation was rubbish. Combined with the "charges" and "surcharges"(BA would have the gall to try to pass along a line item expense as separate from the cost of the ticket), and other miscellaneous and sundry fees(why do I have to pay 4.5 GBP when paying by credit card ?!?), Avios is only useful for short-haul redemptions on AA or upgrading from premium economy to club world.

More annoying, however, is the sneaky and underhanded manner in which they handled the devaluation - refusing to release any details until it was too late. Air Canada also had a devaluation recently, but they gave their members a year's notice. BA did not.
What devaluation??? Would this be the change to Avios that BA pre-announced in this forum? The one where they increased the VFM of a lot of redemptions?Sure they could have been a lot clearer about multi-segment redemptions. But it's just not right to say they didn't release any details.

Other good value redemptions are ECoast US to UK, UK-Far East, UK-aus, J-F, .....

I have to say, apart from the first two paragraphs, your post is absolutely bang on.

@ Chuckles - yep there were some real corker redemptions before the changes and it is certainly true that the Avios change left some high and dry. Also true that fuel surcharges are sooo high now, but that isnt just BA of course, and this has affected some longterm members. Not those who didn't find out about YQs before taking out their credit card in the past cople of years though as nothing changed in this area - it was those I was really referring to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.