Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On the Uselessness of Avios

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
As others have said, I too look at what I would have paid, not what I actually pay. I also look at the Avios as something I got for free. What I have paid for, are the flights I flew when I got the Avios, and I got the Avios as a free bonus.

If going to London, and there was an I-fare available, I would off course boook that. If I didn't have the possibility to stay for a night between Saturday and Sunday, I see the use of Avios as a great value.

My next flights with BA are in two bookings, one CE flight from OSL to LHR with a domestic connection, and the second booking from NCL via LHR to somewhere in Europe.

As mentioned previously, I paid 4500 Avios for one booking, and 7500 for the other one (paying half the Avios asnd some more cash) and 1250 NOK in cash.

A normal ticket for these flights in CE/domestic, would have cost 15,492 NOK. I paid 1250, and 12000 Avios, which I got for free when I flew BA/OW.

In my eyes: a bargain.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:19 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I booked two J class HKG-SYD-HKG for 200,000 Avios, which I thought was not too bad. I do not know if this is more or less Avios than was required in BA Miles previously.

As it saved us c.£6,000, I was happy.

Nearly made up for not being able to use the Amex 241 in F all the way from LHR to SYD....
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DWFI
. What other program gives you IPC-SCL-EZE/AEP-GRU-LIM-GYE-JFK in business class with a stop in each place for 40K points?
None, of course.

Thanks to greedy Chase punters and clueless US agents although allowed most of those routings were clearly against the rules and might have helped in some way to BA changing the rules.....

Anyway with LAN Argentina being thrown out of AEP and LAN constantly changing schedules those multi stopover routings are going to cause their redeemers a lot of headaches over the next year........rather them than me.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:52 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by stueys
Of course the downside on this is you have to fly UA....

BAEC does make a less sense for NA pax now.
BAEC makes loads of sense for NA pax flying short haul on AA!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat
And UK ones for that matter!

18,000 Avios + £6.40 GBP for 2 pax DFW-MSY-DFW, which would have cost over £320 GBP. That is a steal in my book, when I am miles rich and cash poor (thanks to the BA sale!)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rossmacd
And UK ones for that matter!

18,000 Avios + £6.40 GBP for 2 pax DFW-MSY-DFW, which would have cost over £320 GBP. That is a steal in my book, when I am miles rich and cash poor (thanks to the BA sale!)
That seems to come out at less than 2p per Avios
However, your Avios/Cash equation is different to mine. I'll stick to UuA to CW, at around 9p/A
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinkcat
All true, must confess I tend to stop at long haul when spending miles. I need to broaden my horizons, though I like looking for cheap AA F in the US
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by T8191
That seems to come out at less than 2p per Avios
However, your Avios/Cash equation is different to mine. I'll stick to UuA to CW, at around 9p/A
Not great value, but I have more Avios/DC Miles/FB Worthless Miles than I can shake a stick at, so the opportunity to spend them far outweighs the value I get from them, even at 2p per Avios
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont value Avios points like everyone else. In the end they are free either from flying or cc or online shopping. However, it depends on how long it takes someone to earn the amount of money to pay for the flight. In my opinion thats the value of Avios points.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by origin
I dont value Avios points like everyone else. In the end they are free either from flying or cc or online shopping. However, it depends on how long it takes someone to earn the amount of money to pay for the flight. In my opinion thats the value of Avios points.
I think like that as well.....my maths is crap anyway.

Biggest advantage I see when using miles is the flexibility that redemption tickets offer.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Why don't you read the post you're replying to? It clearly says two one-ways for 40k in J, ie 20k each way or 40k return.

One would expect better from a self-proclaimed "Frequent Flying Consultant."

I trust you'll now revise your statement above to saying that Avios is now above average compared to NA programs, seeing as I have just doubled the value of the programme for you?
I never said I had an encyclopaedic knowledge... in this case I'm happy to stand corrected

(though it would help if Avios had a semi-functioning award chart instead of that map nonsense)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I strongly believe that AVIOS points are only useful to use to upgrade one class more than what you pay for in cash if someone wants to avoid paying the silly BA fuel surcharges.

Redemption for a free ticket on BA is becoming a burden.
Not for me, but then I'm not US based. I've just booked my first ever straight redemption LHR - MAD in Business on IB for 30,000 Avios and thirty something pounds which to me was an absolute bargain given the cost of the tickets were coming in at £500+ even with the sale.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Amidst this discussion, we highlight the same point again ... there's something in BAEC for everyone, depending on their needs and aspirations.

As a fairly infrequent [3 p/a] leisure traveller, I'm broadly speaking:
Cash-rich [whatever that actually means]
Avios-comfortable [and self-sustaining]
TP-poor

To retain Silver, I can't afford the luxury of full-redemption flights that don't earn TPs! Instead I have to spend cash [BA & Amex] to earn Avios and, critically, TPs on those 3 holidays each year. What else do I do? Stay at home and leave it all to the kids when I go?

Other people here, who are genuine frequent flyers, earn ludicrous amounts of Avios in their peripatetic existence [that substitute for having a life ] and inevitably have Avios to burn. Redemptions make a lot of sense, whilst the ££/$$ equation [especially with "taxes and fees"] assume greater significance.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:15 am

Some people get far too carried away with all this miles malarkey. Analysing their worth down to 0.1 of a cent is a sign that someone has a problem if you ask me.

If I have miles I spend them without giving it too much thought. Tier points don't concern me...thank goodness for that and if I don't have miles then there is always the old fashioned method of using cash to pay for a ticket.
Some of those can actually work out much better value than using miles and you don't have to worry about finding availability.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Some people get far too carried away with all this miles malarkey.

As a 'BA employee' how can you say that

I too am an infrequent traveller but collect the miles when I can by various methods. I then just book what suits us and if that blows all the miles whether by a full redemption or MFU then so be it.

Life is too short to NOT go to places you may want to visit or see people/family or whatever. I cant tell you the amount of times I have heard bereaved people say "Oh we were going to do this/go there/experience that but never quite got around to it"

BAEC and miles (I refuse to call them Avios ) gives loads of oppportunities and as T8191 has stated there is something for everyone and YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.