Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On the Uselessness of Avios

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: ACDC Gold
[QUOTE=Ferdinand Magellan;17695220

1,230,000 miles versus 780,000 miles, and $19,000 versus $700, even though I used three companion BA vouchers. And the UA flight time is around eight hours less in each direction.

BA, I'm very disappointed.[/QUOTE]

I redeemed 40,000 Avios plus Ł54.60 (US$85) for two one-way HKG-SIN in J on CX.

BA, I'm delighted ^
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Yes, that 40k for HKG-SIN r/t in J is great - it used to be 80k.

10k for a W-J upgrade BAH-LHR which I am making use of this evening to get a decent night's sleep!

SIN-SYD r/t in J on BA/QF is now 80k, also reduced from 100k.

And 30k for J-F on LHR-HKG which is Thursday's little treat, down from 40k before the changes.

No Avios-related complaints here.

Last edited by BahrainLad; Dec 27, 2011 at 1:11 am
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BahrainLad

No Avios-related complaints here.
Same here. I am almost embarrassed to say this after reading so many complaints, but after having been with QFFF for a fairly long time, I keep saying "heeeeyyyyy this Avios stuff is fantastic"! Redemptions cost far less, MFU gets confirmed immediately, etc etc.

For what I'm doing, it's better than before or no different, except perhaps it would have been faster for me to get the status before the change, but that's only because of how the timing of my 'full' programme changeover from QFFF to BAEC is working out and it will happen only once during the changeover.

I really think it's all about expectations. I admit I had a very low expectation of how the programme works
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I strongly believe that AVIOS points are only useful to use to upgrade one class more than what you pay for in cash if someone wants to avoid paying the silly BA fuel surcharges.

Redemption for a free ticket on BA is becoming a burden.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:14 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

I guess this just shows how different people view these things differently.

On a personal level, I am making a habit of an annual First redemption with companion tickets. If the high fuel surcharges keeps the seats free for me, I'm one happy chappy

OP - enjoy UA. And me, I'll enjoy BA.

Merry christmas.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Yes, that 40k for HKG-SIN r/t in J is great - it used to be 80k.
No! No! You don't wanna do that. You want to fly east to get to SIN from HKG, that's what you wanna do. See! 1,756,500 Avios plus Ł34,235 taxes/fees/surcharges
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:18 am

Avios work for me too! But I can see why people from the US, or at least the non-east coast US say they don't work for them long haul due to a combination of the taxes and surcharges (not really a BA thing but a UK/Euro thing - eg euro *A make surcharges) and the changed rules for multi-leg flights. But by the same token, as a European, collecting with Air China, US air, Southwest, or Air Canada (for example) wouldn't be a wise policy for me. I did my research on the great resource that is FT, rejected most non-Euro schemes, considered my routes, selected EC and started sorting out the credit cards. The problem comes when people do it in the reverse order, starting with the credit cards first (cou-chase-gh).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Gamsteroonerino
I redeemed 40,000 Avios plus Ł54.60 (US$85) for two one-way HKG-SIN in J on CX.

BA, I'm delighted ^
40K one way in J for what is essentially a regional length flight isn't really a "great" deal- it's merely average compared to the award costs of the North American based programs.

As for other Avios prices, I definitely agree- Avios is useful if you're doing one segment only. As soon as transfers come into play, then you're gonna be hit hard. Not to mention fuel surcharges...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Still think that 330K for LHR-SYD with stopovers on both inbound/outbound F (using 2-4-1) + Ł800 is a good deal for 2 people.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ferdinand Magellan
Just got off the phone with US Airways. I got 7 UA first class and business class seats from Florida to Seoul, returning from Manila (just what we wanted). I got them for a total of 780,000 miles, plus $700 for ticketing, connecting flights included.

1,230,000 miles versus 780,000 miles, and $19,000 versus $700, even though I used three companion BA vouchers. And the UA flight time is around eight hours less in each direction.
Of course the downside on this is you have to fly UA....

BAEC does make a less sense for NA pax now.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
40K one way in J for what is essentially a regional length flight isn't really a "great" deal- it's merely average compared to the award costs of the North American based programs.

As for other Avios prices, I definitely agree- Avios is useful if you're doing one segment only. As soon as transfers come into play, then you're gonna be hit hard. Not to mention fuel surcharges...
Why don't you read the post you're replying to? It clearly says two one-ways for 40k in J, ie 20k each way or 40k return.

One would expect better from a self-proclaimed "Frequent Flying Consultant."

I trust you'll now revise your statement above to saying that Avios is now above average compared to NA programs, seeing as I have just doubled the value of the programme for you?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:27 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by d3vski
Still think that 330K for LHR-SYD with stopovers on both inbound/outbound F (using 2-4-1) + Ł800 is a good deal for 2 people.
300k surely!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by uk1
300k surely!
even bigger bargain than i thought!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: ACDC Gold
Why don't you read the post you're replying to? It clearly says two one-ways for 40k in J, ie 20k each way or 40k return.
What he said!
Personally think it is a bargain.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
In your situation, I would view it that I didn't need to pay the fares though.

I don't look at what cash I had to spend to book it, but what I didn't have to pay. Maybe I am an optimist after all
I look at it like you, not what it did cost me, but what it WOULD have cost me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.