FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Does Not Interline Bags Outside OneWorld? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1285035-ba-does-not-interline-bags-outside-oneworld.html)

buyjalapenos Nov 27, 2011 10:56 pm

BA Does Not Interline Bags Outside OneWorld?

Just checked in in AMS for AMS-LHR. Connecting to LHR-FRA-SFO on LH. Was told BA will not interline my checked luggage to LH at LHR since they're not OneWorld, and that I must enter the UK and pick up my bag. Lounge agent confirmed that this has always been the rule. Seems rather arcane to me?

I don't even know how to change terminals in LHR landside... :eek:

Swanhunter Nov 27, 2011 10:58 pm

It has been the rule for at least 5 years, unless the flights are all ticketed together. One of those UK airline things as VS have the same policy.

jexelot Nov 27, 2011 11:43 pm

This happened to me during my segment run. AMS-LHR and LHR-CDG-KIX with skyteam. Possible this ia something to do with uk apt policy. Good thing i had enough hours to take my bag and check in again.

KenJohn Nov 28, 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by budgetingjew (Post 17525008)
I don't even know how to change terminals in LHR landside... :eek:

Follow signs to the Heathrow Express. Do not buy a ticket as there is no charge for transfers between T5 and T123. Take the lifts down to the Heathrow Express platform.

Hope your bags have wheels.

Just checked in in AMS for AMS-LHR. Connecting to LHR-FRA-SFO on LH.

Strange routing flying through the UK to get to FRA. It is for some cheap LH ticket? In which case, you should have done some home on here first. BMI would have interlined your bags and not required a change of Terminals. BMI is *Alliance. That is the key advantage of sticking to one alliance for one journey.

irishguy28 Nov 28, 2011 12:46 am

Indeed, a strange way of getting to FRA from AMS!!

Originally Posted by KenJohn (Post 17525203)
BMI would have interlined your bags and not required a change of Terminals. BMI is *Alliance. That is the key advantage of sticking to one alliance for one journey.

Well, bmi no longer flies from AMS.

But I once flew bmi from AMS to LHR, connecting to SQ. bmi refused point blank to check my bags through, although I had almost 6 hours layover at Heathrow.

5mSvGlow Nov 28, 2011 12:49 am

Actually BMI won't even interline to star alliance unless on same ticket, they are even stricter than BA.

GASUG Nov 28, 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 17525223)
Indeed, a strange way of getting to FRA from AMS!!

Well, bmi no longer flies from AMS.

But I once flew bmi from AMS to LHR, connecting to SQ. bmi refused point blank to check my bags through, although I had almost 6 hours layover at Heathrow.

I regularly fly Glasgow - London Heathrow - Baku (GYD), always on one PNR. Since bmi no longer flies GLA - LHR this route is flown on BA. LHR to (and from) GYD is flown on bmi.

When flying GLA - LHR - GYD then my luggage goes all the way from GLA - GYD (thank you, BA!).

On return, I need to uplift my luggage at LHR, etc., etc. (no thanks, bmi!)

buyjalapenos Nov 28, 2011 2:18 am

Bag was off first, and Heathrow Express was great. Even used "First Class" car, since it was free anyway - it was the one closest to T1, she said.

Routing is due to trip to London on resonable LH ticket, with side trip to AMS on BA, partially to get my 2 of my 4 BA segments to keep Gold.

Thanks all!

Smirnoff Nov 28, 2011 2:22 am

Just checked in in AMS for AMS-LHR. Connecting to LHR-FRA-SFO on LH. Was told BA will not interline my checked luggage to LH at LHR since they're not OneWorld, and that I must enter the UK and pick up my bag. Lounge agent confirmed that this has always been the rule. Seems rather arcane to me?

It's not that arcane when you consider that an AMS-LHR ticket can be as low as £5 + tax.

And in case the bag does not make the connection, the cost of reuniting you with the bag in SFO will be, err, slightly more than £5.

Phil the Flyer Nov 28, 2011 2:24 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn (Post 17525203)
Strange routing flying through the UK to get to FRA. It is for some cheap LH ticket?

Strange OP handle is a clue ;).

OPebble Nov 28, 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by budgetingjew (Post 17525389)
Bag was off first, and Heathrow Express was great. Even used "First Class" car, since it was free anyway - it was the one closest to T1, she said.

Routing is due to trip to London on resonable LH ticket, with side trip to AMS on BA, partially to get my 2 of my 4 BA segments to keep Gold.

Thanks all!

Actually the HEX "First Class" car is NOT free for inter Terminal travel. You are supposed to travel in peasant class!

BlackBerryAddict Nov 28, 2011 2:30 am

Originally Posted by 5mSvGlow (Post 17525228)
Actually BMI won't even interline to star alliance unless on same ticket, they are even stricter than BA.

So I guess in future bmi will interline to BA :)

irishguy28 Nov 28, 2011 2:32 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict (Post 17525420)
So I guess in future bmi will interline to BA :)

^^^:D

LTN Phobia Nov 28, 2011 3:45 am

Originally Posted by budgetingjew (Post 17525389)

From the announcement that I heard on HEX, it's supposedly only free in economy class only (although I cannot be 100% sure of that as my brain is a bit dodgy) :D

Swanhunter Nov 28, 2011 3:48 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 17525589)
From the announcement that I heard on HEX, it's supposedly only free in economy class only (although I cannot be 100% sure of that as my brain is a bit dodgy) :D

You are correct - she explicitly says that.