Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 27, 11, 4:10 pm   #1
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 615
BA award ticket cancellation fee

I booked a BA award for myself and my brother to GIG for next year right before the devaluation, flying on AA metal. Looks like i may soon need to cancel the award. Do the old BA award cancel fees apply or do the new cancel fees apply? Are the fees per reservation or per traveler? Trying to figure out what the total fees will be. There is a chance i may just cancel one of the tickets and not both. Will know in about a week.
longleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 11, 4:13 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by longleaf View Post
I booked a BA award for myself and my brother to GIG for next year right before the devaluation, flying on AA metal. Looks like i may soon need to cancel the award. Do the old BA award cancel fees apply or do the new cancel fees apply? Are the fees per reservation or per traveler? Trying to figure out what the total fees will be. There is a chance i may just cancel one of the tickets and not both. Will know in about a week.
Old fees apply, so 15 online and 30 (I think) per person over the phone.

I'm not sure whether its possible to just cancel just one of the tickets.

Last edited by Paralytic; Nov 28, 11 at 5:33 am. Reason: Had wrong amounts for old fees
Paralytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 11, 4:35 pm   #3
Senior Moderator and Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 13,274
I believe new fees apply: 25 per passenger and an additional 15 pp if cancelled offline. Offline fee is waived for Gold card members
Prospero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 11, 4:37 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
I believe new fees apply: 25 per passenger and an additional 15 pp if cancelled offline. Offline fee is waived for Gold card members
Nope, Nicci definitely said T&Cs from the time of booking apply, as they should do.

Last edited by Paralytic; Nov 27, 11 at 4:43 pm.
Paralytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 5:27 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A Scot in Provincia de Buenos Aires
Posts: 29,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
Old fees apply, so free online and 15 (I think) per person over the phone.
I thought pre-Avios days there was a cancellation fee even when you cancelled online......it was only free to Gold?
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 5:32 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I thought pre-Avios days there was a cancellation fee even when you cancelled online......it was only free to Gold?
Yes, sorry, you are right - it was 15 online and more (30?) offline. Its gone up-post Avios.

It was changes that were free online before, but these are now have a 25 online fee (which is waived for Golds). I think this is a big benefit that many Gold forget as it really restricts (financially) the ability to "hold" award seats and then change them later if availability changes.

I'll change my post above.
Paralytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 5:36 am   #7
uk1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 10,641
With respect to the change fees!

On new bookings is the change fee per passenger per ticket ie if you change two legs on a single ticket for two people is it two or four fees please?
uk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 5:51 am   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
With respect to the change fees!

On new bookings is the change fee per passenger per ticket ie if you change two legs on a single ticket for two people is it two or four fees please?
I'd like to think its a single fee per passenger but perhaps it depends on the change. eg, a change of date for both legs should only be one change per passenger.
Paralytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 7:04 am   #9
uk1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 10,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
I'd like to think its a single fee per passenger but perhaps it depends on the change. eg, a change of date for both legs should only be one change per passenger.
Do you know ..... I've hunted through the FT threads and the BA web site and I cannot find an answer ....
uk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 8:42 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SAN, SNA
Programs: BAEC (Gold), DL (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), SPG (Gold)
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
Yes, sorry, you are right - it was 15 online and more (30?) offline. Its gone up-post Avios.

It was changes that were free online before, but these are now have a 25 online fee (which is waived for Golds). I think this is a big benefit that many Gold forget as it really restricts (financially) the ability to "hold" award seats and then change them later if availability changes.

I'll change my post above.
Sorry (never cancelled before), just to be clear, there are absolutely NO cancellation fees paid by a Gold for award reservations?
ocdb8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 9:11 am   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdb8r View Post
Sorry (never cancelled before), just to be clear, there are absolutely NO cancellation fees paid by a Gold for award reservations?
You'll still pay the charges as specified by the ticket's fare rules (ie booking class dependent), but not the service charge fee.

And, for completeness, that fee does exist but is waived for Golds.

Fee here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...l/public/en_uk

Last edited by Paralytic; Nov 28, 11 at 9:16 am.
Paralytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 9:15 am   #12
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
Do you know ..... I've hunted through the FT threads and the BA web site and I cannot find an answer ....
I do think you'd only be charged one fee per person. From this page:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...l/public/en_uk

Reward fees apply to each passenger in the booking.
Paralytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 11:23 am   #13
uk1
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 10,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
I do think you'd only be charged one fee per person. From this page:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...l/public/en_uk

Reward fees apply to each passenger in the booking.
Thanks - yes - I'd seen that but to me the guidance could still easily mean that if you change say the dates on 3 of the legs on a 4 leg return trip then that represents 3 date changes and therefore 6 fees for two people on the same ticket.

Anyone?!
uk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 11:37 am   #14
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Programs: OneW(Gold) Virgin(Gold) SkyT(Gold) StarA(Silv) Hilton(Diam) ICG(Plat) Marriott(Gold) Amex Cent
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Offline fee is waived for Gold card members
The marketing blurb does not limit the Gold waiver to offline changes/cancellations. It states all redemption transactions carry no charges for Gold members.
pas70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 11, 3:29 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London mostly
Programs: BA Silver and a couple of hotel progs
Posts: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pas70 View Post
The marketing blurb does not limit the Gold waiver to offline changes/cancellations. It states all redemption transactions carry no charges for Gold members.
Useful. Do you have a link?
littlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:19 pm.