Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chase and British Airways Unveil First Airline Co-Brand Card with EMV Chip-with-Signa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase and British Airways Unveil First Airline Co-Brand Card with EMV Chip-with-Signa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR

Chase and British Airways Unveil First Airline Co-Brand Card with EMV Chip-with-Signature Technology [in the US]

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Co-Brand-Card

US cardholders have complained of difficulties when trying to use non-chipped credit cards in Europe and elsewhere, especially in self-service machines in France. The remedy has usually been to persist and tell the retailer that the cards are signature-enabled.

Now there is a US card with chip-and-signature. It's NOT chip-and-PIN, though. I wonder who'll be the first to say they couldn't use their chipped card and demand compo.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Will this make the card harder to cut up for those AAmericans inclined?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Will this make the card harder to cut up for those AAmericans inclined?
To save time, it is designed to auto-destructs within one hour of the first attempt to book a free BA award flight.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:32 am

Oh crap! Not only can they not use their avios, now they can't use their card. The forum will go mad!

Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The words Chase and British Airways now bring me out in hives.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
My main complaint about using my CC in US petrol stations is that they want a zip code - so I end up having to go into the shop and pay with the credit card in there.

It looks like they almost have Swipe and PIN but not quiet.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Gives me panic attacks!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by KenJohn
My main complaint about using my CC in US petrol stations is that they want a zip code - so I end up having to go into the shop and pay with the credit card in there.

It looks like they almost have Swipe and PIN but not quiet.
99% of the time ANY Zip Code will work with UK cards, 90210 always works for me

Last edited by CT-UK; Nov 21, 2011 at 7:37 am Reason: s not a d
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CT-UK
99% of the time ANY Zip Code will work with UK cards, 90210 always workd for me
97% of the time, surely?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by CT-UK
99% of the time ANY Zip Code will work with UK cards, 90210 always works for me

ISTR someone saying 00000 works, but it never has for me. Nor has any Florida zip code worked whilst in Florida.

(And we've gone OT again - started as a thread about Chase, now any credit card at a petrol/gas pump!)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Tell me about!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: BA gold
Was going to ask if it has a 97% APR but someone already slipped in that reference already!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Roger
Now there is a US card with chip-and-signature. It's NOT chip-and-PIN, though. I wonder who'll be the first to say they couldn't use their chipped card and demand compo.
I don't read it like that ... the way I read it, it's chip-and-pin, plus traditional signature support.

This is good news!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
I don't read it like that ... the way I read it, it's chip-and-pin, plus traditional signature support.

This is good news!
Exactly...much ado about nothing. Isn't this exactly what we have here already? I know it's new to the US, but seriously, they didn't re-invent the wheel.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Exactly...much ado about nothing. Isn't this exactly what we have here already? I know it's new to the US, but seriously, they didn't re-invent the wheel.
You don't get it. This is not about the technology.

The problem is that it is very difficult to get a US issued credit card that has chip and pin support.

No place uses chip and pin here, and that's unlikely to change any time soon.

The problem is using a US issued credit card overseas, especially if I'm trying to buy train tickets at an automated kiosk. It can also be a lot of hassle at places that don't see so many tourists and don't know how to process the US card.

I just called Chase and I should have the card today or tomorrow, in time for me to put it into use next week. Apparently all newly issued BA branded cards will have this support, so I just put in an order for a card replacement.

Chip and pin support and no foreign transaction fees ... it makes the annual fee more tolerable. (I've had this card since 1999 ... so I never got a 100K signup bonus.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.