Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 16, 11, 2:33 pm   #1

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
A look at BA Avios' new distance-based award chart

I finally located the BA's new distance based award chart. Apparently, this chart is for awards that exclude BA and Iberia segments.

It looks rather interesting to me as we can get non-stop one-way award flights on AA which are less than 2749 miles for 12,500 or less. 2749 miles should cover most of North America from AA's hubs in ORD, DFW, JFK, MIA and LAX. Interestingly, Caribbean and Mexico also becomes cheaper for us.

But I simply hate the inter-continental award levels with this new distance-based award chart. Well, you win some and you lose some.

Last edited by jeelele; Dec 1, 11 at 6:02 pm..
jeelele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 2:48 pm   #2

JFK to HKG on CX in business just doubled to 100K miles each way. Yuk. Continue on to SIN and it is another 20K miles. It takes fewer miles to go on BA JFK->LHR->SIN (but fuel surcharges may differ too).

Huge devaluation.

DAK
dkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 2:53 pm   #3

Programs: SPG+, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
jeelele, thanks for posting this. The chart doesn't list any fees, but based on other posts today it looks like only the taxes.

For connecting flights, I can see how it is a devaluation. For me, my BA miles have increased in value for AA non-stops flying out of ORD.
AzLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 2:55 pm   #4

More analysis...
according to the online award calculator..
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s#CalculatePod

JFK to HKG in Business on BA is 70,000 miles each way. Reasonable.
JFK to SIN in Business on BA is 110,000 miles each way. Unreasonable.
JFK to SYD in Business on BA is 100,000 miles each way. Huh, really?
LAX to HKG 70,000 miles
LAX to SIN 120,000 miles
LAX to SYD 100,000 miles

Strange indeed.

DAK
dkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 3:01 pm   #5

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerr View Post
More analysis...
according to the online award calculator..
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s#CalculatePod

JFK to HKG in Business on BA is 70,000 miles each way. Reasonable.
JFK to SIN in Business on BA is 110,000 miles each way. Unreasonable.
JFK to SYD in Business on BA is 100,000 miles each way. Huh, really?
LAX to HKG 70,000 miles
LAX to SIN 120,000 miles
LAX to SYD 100,000 miles

Strange indeed.

DAK
Yeah, it does look a bit strange. I suspect BA is yet to iron out the definitions for the two new award tables, distance-based and the standard region-based that includes a BA segment.

I guess the miles required for a particular award will vary based on your actual award flights.
jeelele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 6:41 pm   #6

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Another positive

I just checked quite a few domestic and Caribbean routes non-stop from JFK. All seem to be cheaper than before, as others have noted. In additon, the Avios plus $ looks very interesting. You can basically pay about 1.3 /Avios and use fewer points. If you are short Avios points, you can drive the redemption values very high.

I also worked one case from DFW-Montreal in business class where the ticket price less the maximum $ case divided by the Avios points required = 9 /Avios point redeemed. That is a pretty good value.
Flyer737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 6:56 pm   #7

Programs: CO Gold, UA 1P
Matches up with the chart published by Iberia plus a few weeks ago:

http://www.novedadesiberiaplus.com/n...ec=m2&lang=en#
vertigo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 7:20 pm   #8

Since Avios is now charging per segment, how will a connection flight work on let's say for AA bookings (not a forced stop-over).

Let's say I'm traveling from NYC to Houston but there is a connection in DFW, will that be considered "2 segments" even though the connection is not by choice?
CodeAdam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 7:25 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Since Avios is now charging per segment, how will a connection flight work on let's say for AA bookings (not a forced stop-over).

Let's say I'm traveling from NYC to Houston but there is a connection in DFW, will that be considered "2 segments" even though the connection is not by choice?
Correct: two segments, regardless of whether the DFW transit is a stopover or a mere connection.
guv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 7:59 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer737 View Post
In additon, the Avios plus $ looks very interesting. You can basically pay about 1.3 /Avios and use fewer points. If you are short Avios points, you can drive the redemption values very high.

I also worked one case from DFW-Montreal in business class where the ticket price less the maximum $ case divided by the Avios points required = 9 /Avios point redeemed. That is a pretty good value.
This piqued my curiosity, so I just randomly tried a trip a week from now with a one day turnaround NYC-Montreal and I got:

Expedia.com - $689 (LGA) on US
AA.com - $1,010.88 (cheapest for the given dates)
BA.com - 9000 avios + $57.09
BA.com - 4500 avios + $127.09

That gives 10.6cpm and 19.6 cpm, respectively (based on the AA price) or 7cpm and 15cpm (based on Expedia prices).

Of course this is an extreme example as the flights are on Wed/Thu and Thursday is Thanksgiving, but let's hope these kinds of redemptions remain a good value. The Avios+money option really does seem pretty great for certain conditions.

Delta has been my go-to carrier for good last-minute availability but combined with Avios points for short-haul flights this could be an even better tool in our miles arsenal.

Last edited by drbobguy; Nov 16, 11 at 8:04 pm..
drbobguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 8:22 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
A BA agent told me that stopovers have not been affected. However, it has indirectly.
Old Nov 16, 11, 8:57 pm   #12

This is a very naive question, but because of the segment issue it's a real problem. Is there anyway on the BA web interface to choose a partner flight over a flight on BA metal? The partner flight is direct whereas BA's has two segments.

I'm trying to find BUD-KBP availability and I see using the Avios calculator that it should be 4500 Avios (as expected). I would assume that is for the direct Malev flight. But if you try to book it it automatically gives you BUD-LHR-KBP on BA metal for 17500 Avios. I assume to book the direct flight you'd have to call?
drbobguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 9:49 pm   #13

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I appreciate the effort that awardguru put into to generate the chart. However, the 7,000 miles as the cutoff for Zone 8 (35K OW in Y) and Zone 9 (50K OW in Y) just doesn't look right.

For example:
LAX-HKG 7,260 miles Zone 8
ORD-PVG 7,057 miles Zone 8
JFK-HKG 8,072 miles Zone 8
LAX-BNE 7,161 miles Zone 9
JFK-SYD 7,488 miles Zone 9

Looks like BA tweaks the distance based chart a little bit. Otherwise, those between NA and Hong Kong shall all be in Zone 9 requiring 50K OW in Y.
leonard016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 10:09 pm   #14

Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
gah.. all the interesting routes I've been looking at are 'just over' the line limit.
DFW-BZE = 1189.. that would have been a good one for 7500. Especially considering the extra kick in the pants I get if I book out of AUS.

SCL-LPB = 1173

Last edited by hauteboy; Nov 16, 11 at 10:18 pm..
hauteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 11, 10:10 pm   #15

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
As SFO based, I am disappointed. SFO-LHR-HAM is now 168,000 points plus still $584 in fuel surcharge (plus the rest of fees and taxes) in First. 18,000 more. SFO-HKG in First is now 210,000, up from 150,000. LAX-SYD is now 300,000, up from 240,000.

I am really looking at dropping BA now
Gshumway is online now   Reply With Quote