Transfer Avios (Iberia Plus) to Avios (BA)

Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:01 am
Original Poster

UPDATE @ September 2014

This thread is concerned specifically with the process of transferring Avios from an Iberia Plus account to a British Airways Executive Club account.

The Avios currency can currently be converted on a par basis (i.e. 1:1) between the following related Avios-denominated schemes:

- British Airways Executive Club
- Iberia Plus
- Avios.com / AerClub (ex-Airmiles Scheme / Aer Lingus)
- DiamondClub (ex-BMI scheme, one-way transfer to BA Exec Club only - CLOSED end of 2016)

In all cases the 'Combine My Avios' (CMA) tool is used to perform near-instantaneous transfers between your chosen pair of accounts.

The transfer tool on BA.com is located within "Manage my account".
Executive Club --> Manage my account --> Combine my avios
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

This thread originated when the facility to transfer Avios from an Iberia Plus Account to a BA Exec Club account was first introduced. The first few pages of posts largely deal with initial technical problems inherent in the tool at that time; however, throughout the remainder of the thread you will find advice about specific issues that may prevent you performing the transfer you wish to make. You may therefore find reading backwards from the last post the most helpful way to navigate here.

The following guiding principles may be helpful when trying to resolve transfer issues:

- Accounts must be 'Active':
Both the sending and receiving accounts must be active in order to be able to perform a successful transfer. In the case of an Iberia Plus account it must over 90 days old and have received Avios from some other qualifying activity (such as flights, promotions or other partner postings). Combine My Avios transfers do not general count as activity.

- Account details must be matching:
The personal details on the accounts must be the same. Particular attention should be paid to ensuring that the name of the account holder exactly matches. It is not clear as to exactly which other values must match; but as a general rule, the chances of a successful transfer are increased if all personal details, contact numbers, dates of birth, contact addresses etc are the same.

- Household Accounts:
Where the individual accounts concerned are part of a Household Account (HHA) this may prevent certain transfers. It is not possible, for example, to transfer from an Iberia Plus account to a BA Exec Club account that is part of a Household Account. A workaround to this can be to perform a two-step transfer via an Avios.com account (i.e. Iberia Plus to Avios.com, and then Avios.com to BA Exec Club).

If anyone finds any other useful / more-accurate information as they read through the thread then please feel free to send me a private message and I will update here for the benefit of everyone else.

My original initial post is included below for reference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone managed to do this yet?

When using the Balance Transfer Tool on BA.com I get a "session timed out" error when trying to log in to Iberia Plus. On the Iberia Plus website I can't even locate the equivalent tool.

Anyone had any success in combining from Iberia to BA?

I guess I am probably a bit premature in trying this.

Last edited by Gulliver_UK; Dec 19, 2016 at 5:18 am Reason: Thread Summary Added
Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, AMEX BA PP
I tried a couple of times to login on the BA tool, but it said my login info was incorrect...which it wasn't. The Iberia site won't load for me now, so i wonder if we've caught them mid update. Although earlier i was able to price up a couple of reward flights.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:17 pm

As an update to anyone interested, the combine your Avios points tool still doesn't work for Iberia Plus transfers. It tells you that your password details have not been recognised, and if you retry a few times, it locks you out of your Iberia account.
I've tried this with two sets of BAEC and Iberia Plus accounts with matching names and addresses.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze :-(, United, Virgin, Starwood, Marriott
I have just tried to combine my Iberia avios into my BAEC and it didn't work.

I have just spoken to a helpful lady on the BAEC line and she has pointed out that you cannot transfer your avios from Iberia into a household account!!

The only way is to break up the household account and then transfer the avios to me from Iberia. However I can't create the HA for another 6 months!

Ragman

Last edited by Ragman; Nov 19, 2011 at 8:58 am
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:32 am

I've got 4k of avios stuck in IB+ (every little helps). Where on the BA site is the option to transfer out of IB+. I can't find it, can someone point me in the right direction?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:54 am
Original Poster

The transfer tool on BA.com is located within "Manage my account".

Executive Club --> Manage my account --> Combine my avios

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Still won't work for me; so I'd be interested to hear of any successful transfers.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Unhappy

mmmm.... thought I had it cracked when I got this.... seems those of us with new IB accts are going to have to hang on......

--------------------
Combine my Avios was unsuccessful

Sorry, your selected account has to be three months old to use Combine My Avios. Please try again at this time

For reference purposes, here is the transaction id: CMA-11000XXXXX.XXXX

To talk to someone about this problem, you can see our phone numbers here, quoting reference CMA-11000XXXXX.

Return to my Executive Club account
Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by yorkshire exile
mmmm.... thought I had it cracked when I got this.... seems those of us with new IB accts are going to have to hang on......

--------------------
Combine my Avios was unsuccessful

Sorry, your selected account has to be three months old to use Combine My Avios. Please try again at this time

For reference purposes, here is the transaction id: CMA-11000XXXXX.XXXX

To talk to someone about this problem, you can see our phone numbers here, quoting reference CMA-11000XXXXX.

Return to my Executive Club account
That's rather annoying. I have 5100 orphaned Avios in my IB account which I opened a month ago so that I could credit a BA flight to it and prevent myself tipping over silver before the 16th so that my status would last longer and I'd give myself an outside chance of getting gold.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:11 pm
formerly frankdjs

Programs: BA EC Gold
I was told the problem should be sorted by Monday....

.... but doubt this will be the case.

I also dissolved a household account and would be very annoyed in case I can't recreate the hh account once I finally finish the transfer. Will wait till Monday to try again, getting a bit annoyed how much time everyone has been wasting trying to do the transfer from IB to BA.....
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by exitcontrol
I've got 4k of avios stuck in IB+ (every little helps). Where on the BA site is the option to transfer out of IB+. I can't find it, can someone point me in the right direction?
Cheers guys all sorted now and a successful transfer, despite me being listed as Mrs Exitcontrol on IB+ (i'm a Mr Exitcontrol - so they're not matching title!!)

Thanks again

Last edited by exitcontrol; Nov 19, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gulliver_UK
Has anyone managed to do this yet?

Unfortunately not.
Logged into IB and found that my IB Plus points had expired....probably years ago.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Nope, still not working for me
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:25 am
formerly frankdjs

Programs: BA EC Gold
Same here, still not working. tried it on 2 accounts after dissolving the hh account last week...... very annoying.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Well got past all the errors finally to be told as by IB account is not 3 months old cannot do it!

While I can see the point of this it is annoying as it was not mentioned earlier and IAG made it sound like freedom of points between programs so made my plans accordingly with the idea of booking with iberia once it all changed.

If I missed something with the original announcement a couple of months back saying you could move points between where this condition was listed I apologise but if there was not such condition mentioned I do feel like it is a bit of a con and not sure what they really gain with it as to have got the avois points in the first place will have to have collected BA miles!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:47 am

My IB Plus account was several years old but still didn't work...until i figured out that your IB Plus password must contain only numbers and not letters. Then it worked like a charm for me! 267,930 points transferred.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.