Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Joeykins

AS is a long standing BA partner and, as of 31st March 2021, a full member of oneworld. You can book AS flights using your Avios through BA: prior to AS joining oneworld this was only possible on the phone through your local service centre, but it is now possible to book online with some caveats, specifically that at this time (August 2022) it's not possible to retrieve the AS PNR via ba.com - the chat function on alaskaair.com is staffed by helpful and responsive agents though who can get your AS PNR issued quickly. You can book flights up to 330 days in advance.

It has been reported that flights operated by Skywest "Skywest operating as Alaska Airlines" for flights like SEA-SLO are not possible to book with Avios. The system may initially allow agents to grab inventory but then will send back an error message when going further even with the telephone booking.

Avios Cost
The cost should be in line with the normal BA reward price banding. To get an idea of what your flight may cost check the distance with the BAEC flight calculator or using gcmap, and then have a look at the avios banding here.

Note that all AS flights (just like any other non-BA flights) are priced at the peak avios rates. Also note that from 2 February 2016, redemption rates for travel on American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, and TAM will start at 7,500 Avios rather than 4,500 Avios, effectively pricing Distance Band 1 flights as Band 2.

If the flight includes a number of stops under the same flight number then the avios charge is for a non-stop flight from the departure point to the destination. For example, for Seattle to Juneau AS65 the service makes three stops enroute. However, the avios rate charged is as if it were non-stop Seattle to Juneau flight (7,500 avios) and not the avios total for four segments.

Taxes, Fees, and Charges
As with other non-BA reward bookings you need to pay the taxes, fees, and charges. You should be able to predict what this will be by having a look at the taxes, fees, and charges on the AS website or on itamatrix.

BA policy is to charge £15/US$25 for offline award tickets but there has been consistent and sustained reports for years of agents waiving fees. As recently as 1/2017, there have been confirmatory reports that the telephone fee has been consistently waived. When initially calling the call center let your first sentence be, "Can you help me with an Alaska booking that I cannot complete online." The agents have all proactively waived fees in every circumstance. If they do not, HUCA (hang up and call again - or ask supervisor to waive)

Can I Check Reward Availability Online?
You can attempt to make a booking on ba.com and this should at least show Alaska mainline routes. You can also check AA website and the AS website. If AS reward flights show as available on aa.com, then they should be bookable with BA using avios. Check MileSAAver availability not AAnytime availability. AA may be better to check as this should show partner reward availability.

Checked Bags?
AS charges for checked bags on all economy fares, however oneworld ruby & sapphire members are entitled to 2 free bags and emerald members to 3 free bags. Note that oneworld elite baggage allowance is only applied to the passenger with the elite status: 1 GCH and 3 blue members on the same booking only provides 3 bags free, not 12. See the baggage information here. Note that you can only add bags at OLCI, at the airport, or on the phone no earlier than 24 hrs before the flight. Baggage fees are also waived for Alaska Credit Card holders and up to 6 companions on the same booking.

Redemptions in First include 2 checked bags per passenger as the base entitlement.

oneworld Benefits?
AS joined oneworld on 31st March 2021: priority check-in, priority boarding, baggage allowance* and lounge access for passengers with status all apply per the normal oneworld/AS policies. Alaska's table is here.
(* see the Checked Bags question above for an important detail)

Does the 24 hour Cooling Off Period Apply?
Yes it does. However, you must cancel by phone - it is not possible to do it online. Miles are refunded immediately into your Avios account, taxes (if returned) just take a few days to be credited.

Can I Amend the Booking?
Yes, subject to fees and reward availability on the flight you want to move to. You need to do it on the phone. Fees (both the offline fee and change fee) are shown here.
Because of the fee structure of BA Avios - it is often beneficial to book two one ways instead of one roundtrip if you are unsure about either your departure or return dates.

Can I Cancel the Booking?
Yes you may subject to the usual fees here Fees (both the offline fee and change fee) are shown here. If the taxes, fees, and charges you paid were less than the cancellation fee due then you simply forfeit the taxes and fees paid and that serves as your effective cancellation fee. If taxes, fees, and charges you paid were more than the cancellation fee then you would pay the cancellation fee USD55 but get back your taxes in full as well as your miles. (Rather they debit USD55 from your taxes and fees and return to you the balance remaining to your form of payment.)

Can I SDC Same Day Confirm on an AS Avios Ticket?
Yes, AS Avios tickets are eligible for AS same day confirmed change benefits as detailed on the AS website. If AS agent tells you differently HUCA. But AS website should allow you to do this regardless.

Are AS Avios tickets upgradeable with cash?
Yes, AS Avios tickets can be upgraded by paying a fee at 24hr check in, "U" inventory allowance, space available. Please note upgraded U fare class tickets are not eligible for lounge access.

Do AS Elite Benefits apply to AS Avios tickets?
Yes, if you are AS MVP Gold for instance your AS Avios ticket is eligible for Complimentary Upgrades and as long as your AS FFN is in the reservation, you will be automatically added to the AS complimentary upgrade list (AS in 12/05/16 changed policy to allow complimentary upgrades to apply to award tickets - including Avios awards) Gold Guest Upgrades, however, have never been allowed to be applied to AS Avios tickets.

Can I book Virgin America flights now using avios?
As of 25 April 2018, Virgin America no longer exists as far as reservations systems are concerned. Former VX flights are now AS flights and can be booked with Avios.

Print Wikipost

Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but you can use the Finnair site to put in an AA FF# so that when you go to AS.com you can get preferred seats if you are an AA elite (and you get free bags). I've sometimes had difficulty getting AS phone agents to take out my BA # and put my AA or DL # in, they claim partner elite benes are only available on paid tickets.
Details on using the Finnair site at http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...ican-airlines/
BTW- I snagged last minute tickets for YYC (ski trip to Lake Louise) which were running $350 each way, only 4500 avios each way, great deal!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:33 pm
bhp

Originally Posted by bjywong
Thanks for the response!

I assume BAEC is still waiving the phone booking fee for redemptions on AS?
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Some people have had the fee waived; others haven't. No harm in asking.

Officially, BA only waives the fee if what you are trying to do online can normally be done online but can't do to problems with the website. Since the booking of AS awards can't normally be done online (no website functionality) former BA Executive Club representative Nicci has explained that AS awards will have a telephone booking fee assessed.
I was lucky that the phone rep only charged taxes for a redemption on AS but my friend that booked the same trip was indeed charged the phone booking fee. For those that are unwilling to pay, maybe hang up and try another phone rep.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by bhp
I was lucky that the phone rep only charged taxes for a redemption on AS but my friend that booked the same trip was indeed charged the phone booking fee. For those that are unwilling to pay, maybe hang up and try another phone rep.
For the first time, in about a dozen or so calls I've made to BA for AS award flights, I was going to get charged the booking fee x 4 for the tickets I booked. I told the rep, "Nah, ah, ah - no booking fees if you cannot book online. They're waived. Ask a colleague and get it done, or I'll just hang up now and call back to speak to a rep that knows this." I was quite impatient and testy about it! She just got the 'approval' and then waived them. But it took FOREVER...I think it was BA India - so that could be why...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:34 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:35 am
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Unfortunately not true.
Doesn't matter if it's 'true' or not. It's not a published policy, but it's practiced, which means you can get them waived. I did. I just had to push back. It was either that, or keep calling till they did. That's a savings of $100 CAD for me!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:00 pm

SJC - KOA availability

Hey all,

Looking to book three reward seats for a SJC - KOA flight next December and need some advice. There are currently only two seats made available for rewards bookings and was wondering if anyone knew, or had experience with, reward seats becoming available closer to the departure date.

I grabbed both seats currently available but need the 3rd seat as I am traveling with two minors who both have to be on the same flight with me. Should I bite the bullet and pay for the 3rd seat or hold out to see if one opens up?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by elrebel18
Hey all,

Looking to book three reward seats for a SJC - KOA flight next December and need some advice. There are currently only two seats made available for rewards bookings and was wondering if anyone knew, or had experience with, reward seats becoming available closer to the departure date.

I grabbed both seats currently available but need the 3rd seat as I am traveling with two minors who both have to be on the same flight with me. Should I bite the bullet and pay for the 3rd seat or hold out to see if one opens up?
I have 4 SEA - KOA flights booked for spring break, and I booked 11 months in advance and I didn't see a whole lot of changes in the few months after that when I checked, but I did see award seats open up when we went to HNL last year. You should be able to buy a revenue ticket whenever you want, so I'd hang on to see if they release more seats! Good luck!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by pokee
I told the rep, "Nah, ah, ah - no booking fees if you cannot book online. They're waived. Ask a colleague and get it done, or I'll just hang up now and call back to speak to a rep that knows this." I was quite impatient and testy about it!
I think you should have been charged the fee just for being this rude to the agent.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:50 pm

Thanks pokee for the data point. I'll hold of on buying a rev seat and pray a seat opens up.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think you should have been charged the fee just for being this rude to the agent.
Haha...I'd never pay it anyway, so she could try to charge it all she liked. I wouldn't say I was rude, but I definitely was impatient, because she was useless...and took forever. Worst BA call ever! Past calls have been smooth and efficient. I was done with her by that point. I was already prepared to hang up and call again. Thankfully, as expected, all she needed to do was check with a colleague to see that waiving the fee was indeed A-Okay. In the end, the lesson learned is to ask the booking fee question in the beginning of the call, instead of 15 minutes into a booking...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:16 am

Changing Vs. Canceling AS Award - Fees?

I need to change the dates for 4 AS award tickets booked with Avios (origin and destination are the same), and there is availability.

Problem is, I don't have enough points to simply book the new dates and then cancel the old dates at my leisure - I'd need to 'change' the dates - and fees are documented at $58 per ticket. For a cancellation, I'd simply waiving the $12 taxes paid for each ticket.

Does anyone know if you can cancel, have points redeposited and then rebook in the same call? I recall the points being reposted to my account rather quickly when I've cancelled in the past - I just cannot recall if it was later in the day...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I need to change the dates for 4 AS award tickets booked with Avios (origin and destination are the same), and there is availability.

Problem is, I don't have enough points to simply book the new dates and then cancel the old dates at my leisure - I'd need to 'change' the dates - and fees are documented at $58 per ticket. For a cancellation, I'd simply waiving the $12 taxes paid for each ticket.

Does anyone know if you can cancel, have points redeposited and then rebook in the same call? I recall the points being reposted to my account rather quickly when I've cancelled in the past - I just cannot recall if it was later in the day...
Yes you can .. A few months ago I switched 2 BA award tickets for 2 KLM tickets (less YQ). All was done on the same phone call.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
A bit confused... Have I been robbed?

Hello all,

Just off the phone to the silver line having booked 3 reward tickets for travel YVR-PDX-YVR in late March. The agent said there was no service fee, yet the total taxes came to CAD $62 per person for a total of just over $180. She could not offer any further breakdown.

I had been expecting taxes of about $5 each way per ticket (as per the American Airlines website) - have I been done?

Thanks!

Jpwcollins
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jpwcollins
Hello all,

Just off the phone to the silver line having booked 3 reward tickets for travel YVR-PDX-YVR in late March. The agent said there was no service fee, yet the total taxes came to CAD $62 per person for a total of just over $180. She could not offer any further breakdown.

I had been expecting taxes of about $5 each way per ticket (as per the American Airlines website) - have I been done?

Thanks!

Jpwcollins
No. You are flying internationally that will be one big difference. You can see what AS would charge ($50+) by making a dummy booking at their site.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No. You are flying internationally that will be one big difference. You can see what AS would charge ($50+) by making a dummy booking at their site.
You're totally right. Thank you! For some reason, aa.com was showing the US domestic type taxes I mentioned in my first post.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.