Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Phishing email from BA.com today? (BA lurkers please read)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phishing email from BA.com today? (BA lurkers please read)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I often get things telling me my account will be closed, I'll be unable to access it, etc, etc. But quite often these come from companies I don't even have an account with!
Yes I get them all the time.....always so easy to spot.

Got one the other day from Chase offering me 100,000 BA miles just for getting one of their cards. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes I get them all the time.....always so easy to spot.

Got one the other day from Chase offering me 100,000 BA miles just for getting one of their cards. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
This sounds like the automated response to an online attempt to change or confirm the email address in a BAEC profile.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Generally companies won't ask you to provide this kind of information. A lot of them also insert details into the email that cannot be 'guessed' from your email address. For example, when I get emails from ebay, they include my real name and ebay ID. When I get emails from BA regarding to my Executive Club newsletter, they include my membership number.

Be very suspicious of such emails. So many people have fallen into the trap.

If you get something like this again in the future there is nothing to stop you phoning up the company and asking them for more information before doing anything.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:11 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by tooblue
This sounds like the automated response to an online attempt to change or confirm the email address in a BAEC profile.
I've received such an e-mail, sent to me immediately after I changed the e-mail address on my wifes BAEC account.

I'd guess that this is when the BA systems send out such messages.

However, you're right to be suspicious, as there are so many fraud attempts that look very similar.

If unsure, give BAEC a call to check if the e-mail is genuine.

bjorns
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Not got it but you should be able to see where the link is pointing to by hovering over it, or alternatively have a look at the HTML source code and see where it points to.
Even then, you can't be sure when non-Roman alphabets get involved.

Can you tell the difference between ba.com and ba.com? I probably couldn't.

http://mashable.com/2010/01/01/idn-phishing/
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Customer Contact have had several reports of phishing e-mails being received, some asking the recipient to click a link and verify a charge...

These are not from BA. Do not click the links.

As for verifying your e-mail address, that type of e-mail would only be sent if you had literally just changed your e-mail in your account, to ensure that you meant to change it. If you haven't just changed your e-mail address, and you can log into your account normally (without being asked to verify your e-mail as you log in), the e-mail you've got is fake.

Forward these to [email protected] to report any you get.

Last edited by JAXBA; Aug 30, 2011 at 6:37 am Reason: Corrected e-mail address
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Forward these to [email protected] to report any you get.
well, i forwarded the message to the address you recommended and got this in reply"
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied (state 14).

Last edited by BenSenise; Aug 25, 2011 at 9:04 am Reason: cleaned up quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Interesting. Sorry about that, that was the address we were given for customers to report the fake e-mails to. I'll check to see if it has changed.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:46 pm

Just had a look at my Spam folder and saw I also got one.

I pasted the link into my browser and it sent me to a page which looks real ba.com to me. If I hadn't read about it on here I could easily have been fooled and logged in to my account.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
What is the link of the page that looks like the real ba.com, HIDDY? What does your address bar say if you select it to look at the full address?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
What is the link of the page that looks like the real ba.com, HIDDY? What does your address bar say if you select it to look at the full address?
I shall PM you it...just in case it's hiding some dark secret about me that geeks can decipher.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's odd - if the mail is exactly as you PM'd, it appears to link to httpS://www.britishairways.com/ and Chrome claims the certificate for the secure page (the S part on https://) is valid and from BA. Odd.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
It's odd - if the mail is exactly as you PM'd, it appears to link to httpS://www.britishairways.com/ and Chrome claims the certificate for the secure page (the S part on https://) is valid and from BA. Odd.
I wonder why it was identified as spam though? No other emails from BA have ever ended up in my spam folder.

Plus....strange why I got one but my wife didn't and very few other people on this forum seem to have got one either. I haven't ever requested a password reset either.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No idea - perhaps Google is over-zealous with 'password reset' or 'verify this' type keywords as the majority of them are indeed phishing. And perhaps yours was sent because some idiot requested a reset but for the wrong number/login thinking it was their own? Note also on Gmail you will get e-mails to aliases https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...y?answer=12096 too so maybe someone requested a reset to "their" address with a typo but it went to you (I've had this before) - not sure how BA's reset thing works, never used it.

Anyway, golden rule - if in doubt, don't click it. And certainly don't click something based on my posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.