Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

16 year old travellers: do they need parent's written permission?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

16 year old travellers: do they need parent's written permission?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 7:17 am

a few years late but

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was a hefty kid so it never happened to me despite making 6 intercontinental flights a year on my own from 12 years old onwards (though I was nearly arrested in France because I didn't have mes papiers, which if you're 14 you don't need, until les flics think you're older than 18...).

However I can recall the story of my slim older cousin who fought in the first Gulf War, he was 17 years old at the time. He was stopped upon return to LHR and asked why his parents hadn't given him travel permission. He pointed out, to the woman's evident shock, that he was old enough to be a professional soldier and therefore was beyond parental control.
...both my kids have had this challenging experience at UK immigration but only at Heathrow airport never anywhere else. They are now 16 & 13 let's see what happens this year!
Old May 25, 2017, 7:31 am

Young rapidex 17 books his own flights,drives his car to LHR goes through the F wing and flies off to see his girlfriend in NCE.Nobody ever asks him to explain,but he has lots of smart answers if they do.He had a rather DYK moment when pax behind him muttered about row 1 being reserved for GCH and he turned quickly,reached in his pocket and said"what Gold cards like this one".

The Cabin crew where exceptionally nice to him after that he tells me.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Silver
I attended boarding school in zone 6 between ages of 11 and 18. Always flew on my own (usually BA and CX with the occasional AY/AF/LH) and not as an unaccompanied minor.

I never had questions from UK border agency (I hold UK passport and just went through that queue.)
Old May 25, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I went to NYC during the festive period of 2016/17. Being 16 at the time, I managed to not have to speak to any immigration officer in JFK nor LHR.

Any other 'minors' here who have managed to successfully use the e-passport gates in the UK whilst unaccompanied?
Old May 25, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Never have any issues when travelling HKG-LHR oh my own for school since I was 13. I had no problem entering lounges either when I was 17.
​​​
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Ex Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by james_yuen

Any other 'minors' here who have managed to successfully use the e-passport gates in the UK whilst unaccompanied?
Yeah, I have used the e-passport gates at terminal 3 unaccompanied a few times when flying back with CX. I have often found the border guards ask where I came from etc. which can be a bit tedious and often the e-passport gates are more efficient.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: no affiliations
Flying to romania

I am a romanian citizen 16 year old and i am flying to romania on short notice tomorrow. Would i need parental permission to fly to the country i was born and where my citizenship is?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I know about some countries (Romania for instance, I believe) requiring an authorisation from parents for under-18s (or similar) to travel out of the country on their own*, but I had no idea about that requirement for the UK.

*It may be applicable only to their citizens in some cases
do u know if this law applies flying into romania from the UK?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I would strongly suggest to ask to the relevant authorities in any case.

Children with a Romanian passport
Romanian state law requires that all Romanian national children up to 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult of 18 years or over when travelling out of Romania. Please check with the relevant Romanian authorities to ensure you have the correct paperwork for when your child is due to travel.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...avelling-alone

Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Specifically on the issue of British children returning to the UK, you might want to read the answers to this stack exchange question, which indicate that it can be an issue even if accompanied by one parent of a different surname. Quite ridiculous.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gabby Marin
I am a romanian citizen 16 year old and i am flying to romania on short notice tomorrow. Would i need parental permission to fly to the country i was born and where my citizenship is?
Welcome to Flyertalk Gabby Marin, and welcome to the BA forum, I hope you will find this resource useful and interesting, welcome on board.

I am not going to set myself up as the authority on this, however I think you would be OK. This is what Timatic says about your case, making some assumptions about your passport etc. If you google United Airlines Timatic you can try it for yourself. All airlines use Timatic as their source of control here. My reading of the following is that the restrictions apply to leaving Romania, and the wording is all about trying to prevent the horrific crime of child trafficking. Going back to Romania doesn't have these restrictions. However I think it would be prudent to have an email from one of your parents / guardian, and with it a telephone number they can be contacted on.

Romanian minors under 18 years of age, will be allowed to leave Romania if traveling:
- with both parents; or
- with one parent and holding notarized letter of authorization (original + copy) from the absent parent; or
- with legal guardian (other than parents), holding notarized letter of authorization from parents and also a proof of clean criminal record;
- unaccompanied, if holding a notarized letter of authorization from both parents (original + copy) and an "Unaccompanied Minor Form", issued by the operating airline.
In the case of divorced parents, letters of authorization should be written by the parent who has custody of the minor, which must be accompanied by a copy of the final divorce decree. In the event of a deceased parent, the notarized letter of authorization must be accompanied by a copy of the death certificate. Notarized letters of authorization are valid for a single trip.

All minors who are nationals of Romania are expected to hold their own travel document.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:56 am

Thank you

Thank you very much that has really put my mind at ease.
you have been really helpful thank you
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:34 am

Not quite the same but coming through LCY with my large 15 year old son the other day. The epassport gates say age 12 and above. My son was stopped and asked his age and who he was travelling with. He pointed me out at the next gate then the woman there said i had to move and go through same gate as him. So he puts his passport in- goes through ok. But no idea how the epassport gates would know I am his mother following him through. Seemed a bit daft and unnecessary
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
A couple of months ago I went through immigration at LHR with my two kids, that have a different surname from mine. The very nice immigration officer made a comment in the line of: "It's good that they (the kids) have the parents names marked down on their passports, it's more quicker and easier this way"
flygirl68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.