Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Codesharing between AB and BA is to start on 5 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG

Codesharing between AB and BA is to start on 5 July:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

British Airways and airberlin (AB) have announced that they are to operate a codeshare on more than 40 flights across some of their key European markets. The new agreement came into effect on 14 June 2011 on a range of both business and leisure routes, with flights starting from 5 July.

More information

British Airways customers will see London Gatwick to Hanover and Nuremburg added to their network, while Air Berlin customers will now be able to fly direct from a number of German cities into London Heathrow, a critical hub for business travel around the world.

The codeshare will also apply to domestic travel within each carrier's home market, opening up a host of transfer possibilities.

airberlin is the second largest carrier in Germany, operating from its main hubs of Berlin, Dusseldorf and Palma. They operate a single class service within Europe and offer business class on their longhaul services.

Flight details

British Airways will place its code on the following airberlin direct services:

London Gatwick (LGW)-Nuremburg (NUE), Hanover (HAJ) and the return services
London Stansted (STN)-Paderborn/Lippstadt (PAD), Muenster/Osnabrueck (FMO) and the return services

British Airways customers will also be able to connect to and from British Airways flights onto the following airberlin flights bearing the BA code:

Dusseldorf (DUS)-Dresden (DRS), Nuremburg (NUE)
Hamburg (HAM)-Cologne/Bonn (CGN), Nuremburg (NUE)
Munich (MUC)-Cologne/Bonn (CGN), Muenster/Osnabrueck (FMO), Hanover (HAJ), Brindisi (BDS), Palermo (PMO), Lamezia Terme (SUF)
Stuttgart (STR)-Hanover (HAJ)
Salzburg (SZG)-Dusselldorf (DUS)
Berlin (TXL)-Cologne/Bonn (CGN), Muenster/Osnabrueck (FMO), Nuremburg (NUE), Gothenburg (GOT)
Vienna (VIE)-Muenster/Osnabrueck (FMO), Hanover (HAJ), Nuremburg (NUE)
Zurich (ZRH)-Hanover (HAJ)

Codeshare on British Airways

AB codes will be placed on the following BA direct routes:

LHR-TXL, FRA, HAM, MUC, STR, VIE, ZRH, BSL, ORY
LGW-SZG
LCY-FRA , ZRH, EDI, GLA

And on the following BA operated services when connecting from either an AB or an AB codeshare flight:

LHR-ABZ ,EDI, GLA ,MAN, NCL
LGW-JER, EDI, GLA, MAN
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and from airberlin.com:

airberlin expands codeshare agreement with oneworld partners

airberlin's CEO Joachim Hunold stated that becoming a member of the global airline alliance oneworld® has been one of the most important business decisions since the company's public offering. As Hunold declared at airberlin's Annual General Meeting in London today: "International networking offers a huge opportunity for growth. Therefore, we have already concluded codeshare agreements with American Airlines, Finnair and S7. The contracts with Iberia and British Airways will follow shortly.“ Furthermore, as of June 20th, airberlin's most recent transatlantic flight – Berlin/New York – will codeshare with American Airlines. Hunold stated: "In this manner, all our flights to North America will codeshare with our American partner."
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
and from airberlin.com:
It's a bit hard to write in proper sentences when your corporate style doesn't allow you to use capital letters.

imagine if oneworld banned the use of capital letters, mAAde you write every phrAAse with doubles AAAAs and mAAde you use only the colour of S7 green for everything
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:25 am

So when's the first award FMO-MUC-LHR-XXX available? :-)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Surprise AB does not fly LGW-DUS or BER...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: Yes
That's what I'm hoping for, more flights moving from STN to LGW - purely subjective of course because LGW is so much easier to get to from Reading, but it suppose it would make sense for them. Not quite sure what they are waiting for, but it has to be something...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quark999
That's what I'm hoping for, more flights moving from STN to LGW - purely subjective of course because LGW is so much easier to get to from Reading, but it suppose it would make sense for them. Not quite sure what they are waiting for, but it has to be something...
Maybe Flybe......who knows.

ab should fly Glasgow, EDI, MAN, BHX to Dus or Ber rather than STN to so many secondary cities.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Quark999
True.

The advantage to BA customers would be the use of the BA lounges @ LGW. Im really not sure when/if the rest of the STN flights will move over to LGW, but it would make sense to consolidate with the rest of the OW airlines at LGW North Terminal.

I would also expect to see further codeshare expansion, especially on the BA LGW Caribbean routes to suppliment AB's existing routes in the area.

cs
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by chongcao

ab should fly Glasgow, EDI, MAN, BHX to Dus or Ber rather than STN to so many secondary cities.
I did a round trip on AB from Manchester to Berlin a few years ago. Liked them as an airline but the flights went to STN as an intermediate stop both ways which made it a ridiculously long flight.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
What surprises me (having hardly followed this thread) is that there is a modern airline that has all the possibilities in the world of selecting a fantastic premium seat and they decide on a 170 degree slopey one. Are they that much cheaper? What on earth in the business rationale behind that decision?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by chongcao

I am quite sure BA doesn't want them on these routes but rather flying to Europe from other London airports than LHR as has been announced.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ian001
Codesharing between AB and BA is to start on 5 July:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

British Airways customers will also be able to connect to and from British Airways flights onto the following airberlin flights bearing the BA code:

Zurich (ZRH)-.....Hanover (HAJ),......

OOh yes please, great, now I can buying a connecting itinerary on one value-for-money, seamless connection on LON-ZRH-HAJ. Hooray.

Now, let me plug my dates into ba.com, and see what extra-value fare I can get.

Outbound - Wednesday 6 Jul, 2011

6 Jul
City Airport (London) 1550
Zurich 1830
BA8767
BA Cityflyer Club Europe

6 Jul Zurich 2050
Hanover 2220

BA7667
Air Berlin Economy

Inbound - Wednesday 13 Jul, 2011

13 Jul
Hanover 0630
Zurich 0750
BA7664
Air Berlin Economy

13 Jul
Zurich 1010
City Airport (London) 1045
BA8764
BA Cityflyer Club Europe

Price breakdown
Passenger - 1 Adult
Price - £ 3,078.00
Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges per person - £ 176.35

Inclusive total* - £ 3,254.35

Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Looks like Gatwick to Hanover ends at the end of July 2011

however, once you can earn on AB flight codes it throws up some interesting options for a fairly short TP run. LGW-JER (BA), JER-DUS (AB), then DUS-LHR (BA)

cs
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Folks,

I've pulled the posts above out of the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...neworld-3.html thread. This codeshare development will interest many here and I thought the news deserved greater exposure.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Folks,

I've pulled the posts above out of the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...neworld-3.html thread. This codeshare development will interest many here and I thought the news deserved greater exposure.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Good plan o wise one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.