Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread - Earning Miles and Tier Points on partners and codeshares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clinic Thread - Earning Miles and Tier Points on partners and codeshares

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Points earned on BA metal but with IB code

Sorry, not come across this before. LCY-MAD on cityflier but booked on IB.com

Was given 196points and no tier bonus, which is the standard rubbish from Iberia (despite BA.com saying a minimum of 300 miles).

So do we not get BA points for flying BA then? Only if booked on BA?

Last edited by globalste; Jul 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Question regarding a mixed bag flight itinerary that I'm on the verge of booking:

LHR-MAD (BA Op, IB flight number)
MAD-LIM (LAN Peru Op, IB flight number)
LIM-CUZ (LAN Peru Op, LAN Peru flight number)
AQP-LIM (LAN Peru Op, IB flight number)
LIM-MAD (IB Op, IB flight number)
MAD-LHR (IB Op, BA flight number)

From what I understand, all the flights count for BA Miles, and 2 of the 6 (both flights between the UK and Spain) count under the "BA flights" rule. Am I correct in both those assumptions?

Beyond that - all the flights are in Y and aren't fully flexible: do I assume the standard 25% tier point and 25% miles?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: Various
Probably a basic question - is there any benefit of joining OW partner FF schemes? I'm flying AA a fair bit but keen for everything to credit to BA (consolidated miles etc).

Put another way, is there an easy way of joining AAdvantage (so I have a profile etc) and still having everything credit to BA (and maybe still benefit from some of the AA promotions)?

Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

globalste if you booked the IB flight number you'll earn miles/points as per the Iberia earnings.

Jordan D - almost correct. 25% miles and 50% TP's unless booked in Y.

britbronco22 - you'll need BA to ask MA for original routing credit. MA flights do post correctly in the end but it may require a little pushing and shoving

leisureflyer1234 - it counts as a qualiflying flight towards the 4 needed for status etc. but as IB for miles/TP earning.

Smirnoff/Raph thanks for those, will add in due course
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
britbronco22 - you'll need BA to ask MA for original routing credit. MA flights do post correctly in the end but it may require a little pushing and shoving
Thank you Hunter of Swans.

Amazingly my outbound leg from Saturday has already posted on Monday! Must be a record.
I'll wait to see what posts and if I don't get credit I will contact BA and ask for the original routing as you suggest. I still have the boarding passes for both.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Jordan D - almost correct. 25% miles and 50% TP's unless booked in Y.
Thanks Swanhunter - to confirm it is only Y class fares that attract the full whack of 100% TP and 100% miles when on the 'mixed bag' combo above?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jordan D
Thanks Swanhunter - to confirm it is only Y class fares that attract the full whack of 100% TP and 100% miles when on the 'mixed bag' combo above?
As per ba.com, correct.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
when I recently travelled LHR to BOG via MIA, I overnighted in MIA and AA offered me an upgrade on the second leg from Economy to Club for $150. Why do I still get 10 TP instead of 40?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onchanman
when I recently travelled LHR to BOG via MIA, I overnighted in MIA and AA offered me an upgrade on the second leg from Economy to Club for $150. Why do I still get 10 TP instead of 40?
This is one of those funnies. BA - and AA - can probably only see your original underlying fare and thus think this is all you are entitled to. Write to EC enclosing all the supporting documents - MCO receipt, boarding pass - and hopefully you will get it corrected. However, this can be hit and miss as I often had problems with similar upgrades on CX not crediting correctly.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This is one of those funnies. BA - and AA - can probably only see your original underlying fare and thus think this is all you are entitled to. Write to EC enclosing all the supporting documents - MCO receipt, boarding pass - and hopefully you will get it corrected. However, this can be hit and miss as I often had problems with similar upgrades on CX not crediting correctly.
I tried this, and got the following reply. If it make sense to you you're a lot brighter than me and perhaps you can elucidate. None of the links helps in the slightest . . . .

Thank you for contacting us again about your American Airlines flight from Miami to Bogota on 24 March 2011.

I am sorry you were disappointed your flight credited with less BA Miles and Tier Points than you were expecting.

If you pay to upgrade on a British Airways operated flight, as long as your original booking was not ticketed in a redemption booking class, we will credit you with the BA Miles and Tier Points for your upgraded cabin.

If you pay to upgrade on a flight operated by one of our partners, BA Miles and Tier Points are awarded in the higher cabin in line the terms and conditions offered by our partner.

On American Airlines flights, when used for upgrade purposes, C or R class only earns 100% of the flown miles. You can see this on ba.com, by clicking on the following link: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_gb

I understand why you feel you should be credited with additional BA Miles and Tier Points, but I am afraid our agreement with American Airlines only allows us to credit your account with the BA Miles and Tier Points for your original class.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for but thank you again for getting in touch and giving me the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

For information on eligible classes and partners of the Executive Club, click on this link: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecmilesearninfo

For full terms and conditions of the Executive Club, click on this link: https://ba.com/travel/ecterms/public/en_gb

If you have a further query, please contact your Executive Club Service Centre. To find the contact details of your Service Centre click here:https://www.britishairways.com/travel/custsp/execclub/

Warm regards,

Stewart Heather
British Airways Executive Club

Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
TPs and miles on Air Berlin codeshares

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...b?p_faqid=4230

Do flights booked under the BA number and operated by Air Berlin gain TPs and miles before AB joins OW next year?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:08 am

Yes, they do. For a blue, the standalone exUK codeshare earnings and what I think from a quick look are cheapest one-way fares, are as follows:

STN-PAD 10TPs 500 BA Miles £108
STN-FMO 10TPs 500 BA Miles £101
LGW-NUE 10TPs 513 BA Miles £68
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Tier points for an IB flight no. on BA UK domestic metal (Business class ticket)

Hi,

Forgive me as this might be a little complicated.

Last year I did

EDI-LHR-MAD-Seville -MAD-LHR-EDI all on IB flight numbers ( BA metal for the EDI-LHR legs). All flights booked into C class and go 40 tier points on each leg ( inc the EDI -LHR legs)

This year I did ( again all booked in business class, showing as business on my itinerary)

EDI-LHR-MAD-Granada-MAD-LHR-EDI ( all on IB flight numbers)

but the EDI-LHR legs only gave me 20 points each leg ( despite booked in C/C outbound and C/R inbound). On BA.com these codes fall into Business class.
I was expecting 40 tier points for the UK domestic legs.

As a result I am now on 1470 tier points ( if the UK dom legs had been 40 I would have 1510 tier points)

As I am that close to renewing my gold card, does anyone know if the IB flight number booked in business on a BA UK domestic flight gets 40 or 20 tier points please ( seems unfair to have changed the policy from last year without notification)

( I did a search for BA tier points on IB flight nos but nothing suitable came up)
Many thanks for your help.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's 40, or it was in my case in March. C/I class.

It's strange because from Newcastle one gets 40 tp but just 300+75 miles. This is flying BA metal with an IB code share; compared to being on the same plane (and in the same seat) with a BA ticket with a cheapo Y ticket one would get 10 tier points but 500+500 miles. Presumably another 150 or so miles for you up in EDI on IB.

Personally I don't like it, since I seem to pile up tons of unusable tier points this way. But it may be good news to you.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
I'm flying to Madrid and then Fortaleza (cross Atlantic), all operated by Iberia and in Y.. I know you never used to get miles for AA cross Atlantic, How does Iberia treat it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.