Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Upgrade Question - Economy to First or Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, UA, CO, AA, Delta

Hi,
This is probably a simple question for the FF gurus out there but I can't seem to find the answer. I currently have 102,000 BA miles. I want to fly next summer from Boston to either Zurich, Frankfurt, or Vienna (it may be one outbound and another inbound). I would be fine to buy an economy ticket but the question is: how many points would it cost me to upgrade to business outbound and first back to Boston? I don't think I will have enough points to get me an outright reward ticket in those classes from/to those cities. Any suggestions would be great. I'm assuming BA is the only option since that's where my points are.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by divmember
Hi,
This is probably a simple question for the FF gurus out there but I can't seem to find the answer. I currently have 102,000 BA miles. I want to fly next summer from Boston to either Zurich, Frankfurt, or Vienna (it may be one outbound and another inbound). I would be fine to buy an economy ticket but the question is: how many points would it cost me to upgrade to business outbound and first back to Boston? I don't think I will have enough points to get me an outright reward ticket in those classes from/to those cities. Any suggestions would be great. I'm assuming BA is the only option since that's where my points are.
Chase miles?

Suggest you read the sticky, but you can't upgrade from economy to business or first and you can only upgrade from flexible economy tickets anyway, so it's a waste of money.

In any case, 100k miles will get you a business return from BOS to FRA or ZRH.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:11 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I'm assuming BA is the only option since that's where my points are.
I think most people would say it's your best option, but if for some reason you prefer to cross the Atlantic with another OW carrier then you're free to do so (subject, of course, to availability).

As irmster points out, 100,000 miles will get you a TATL return in BA's Club World (business class). You'd need to add a further 25,000 to return in F.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
A don't forget the taxes and surcharges. Estimate them around $700/800 so you won't be disappointed.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:46 pm

I would be fine to buy an economy ticket but the question is: how many points would it cost me to upgrade to business outbound and first back to Boston?
if I have understood you correctly I don't think you can do that. Miles upgrades are 1 class only, so from economy (WT) to premium (WT+) would be the limit. This would be a poor use of miles as it would force you to buy a flexible Y ticket, which would be almost as expensive as a WT+ I suspect. Consider instead the full miles reward ticket as you mention, or buy a WT+ and upgrade that to club. Alternatively have a browse on the BA website for miles+money fares, although I would be surprised if this were good value for miles.
Old May 26, 2011, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
You can only MFU (miles for upgrade) one class, so to upgrade to First you need to pay for Club World. To upgrade to Club World you need to pay for World Traveller Plus.

Please read the 'BA Dashboard' sticky thread at the top of the forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.