Wiki Posts
Search

How to determine actual miles flown?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
How to determine actual miles flown?

Is there a way to tell how many actual flight miles there are for a certain route? I'm trying to calculate partner mileage earning and was wondering if I could get a more exact number than what I get using a generic flight miles calculator found online. Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Is there a way to tell how many actual flight miles there are for a certain route? I'm trying to calculate partner mileage earning and was wondering if I could get a more exact number than what I get using a generic flight miles calculator found online. Thanks!
What route? The only 100% way is from some one who has flown the route and had the avois posted
There are several calculators on line. Some vary by a few miles high or low compared to the airlines. But not consistent. At times even airline-codeshare do not agree even though is it same aircraft on the same route.
Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What route? The only 100% way is from some one who has flown the route and had the avois posted
SEA-LHR, JFK-LHR, LHR-PSA are the routes I'm interested in. I wasn't sure if it was displayed on the BA site, but it sounds like that's a no.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not looked at the BA/avios web site. Have you?
Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I have not looked at the BA/avios web site. Have you?
Great Circle Mapper
I have, but as a first time user. I could not find anything. I appreciate the link to your preferred mileage calculator.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The Avios Flight Calculator on BA.com will tell you the precise earning for these flights
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb
RAD_PDX and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR JFK
3458 https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb
3451 Great Circle Mapper
3451 http://www.milecalc.com/mileage-calc...&city4=&city5=

SEA -LHR
4789 BA
4800 GCM
4800 Milecalc.com
An AA codeshare may give a different number.
Crediting to AS ffp may be a different number (as your profile)
On one of my common routes there is difference between the native flight & the codeshare

Edit
RAD_PDX question on AS sub forum
BA ticket - how many partner qualifying miles

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 26, 2020 at 3:04 pm Reason: Added mile calc
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:09 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Various tools posted are useful. If you want to do the math yourself (or if have a personal status tracking spreadsheet), look up the Haversine formula.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:44 pm

Use Flightradar24 and look up the actual distance the plane flew.
Unfortunately you don’t get extra frequent flier miles if your plane flies 200 miles out of the way to avoid a storm.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
https://www.owenrudge.net/utils/bacalc/
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by nd2010
Use Flightradar24 and look up the actual distance the plane flew.
FR24 doesn't show the actual distance flown - as an example you only have to look at any aircraft departing LHR that's heading east when taking off towards the west (or vice versa) to see the distance flown get lower as it gets closer, in a straight line, to the take off point.
I haven't looked at it closely enough to check whether it's accurate or not but I believe FlightAware shows the true distance flown. They certainly showed a planned distance, an actual distance and a direct distance which are all different.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Schind
FR24 doesn't show the actual distance flown - as an example you only have to look at any aircraft departing LHR that's heading east when taking off towards the west (or vice versa) to see the distance flown get lower as it gets closer, in a straight line, to the take off point.
I haven't looked at it closely enough to check whether it's accurate or not but I believe FlightAware shows the true distance flown. They certainly showed a planned distance, an actual distance and a direct distance which are all different.
Either way, this is irrelevant to the OPs requirement; literal flown miles by an individual aircraft on a given day isn't what the airlines use to work out points earning. Also, what if the aircraft is in a hold for half an hour?!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:19 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I've found this handy to compliment the many other online resources: MileCalc :: The Ultimate Mileage Calculator for Frequent Flyers
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: OW Gold, *A Gold, ST Gold
Sorry to resuscitate an old thread: It shows what I am NOT looking for.

Some routes are much longer nowadays. I am for instance trying to find the actual distance flown by a place I was on. And this is NOT an airline miles or points issue, but a mere wish to compare a longer southern route between LHR and SIN, compared to the regular one, that crisis forbid.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by swissdiver
Sorry to resuscitate an old thread: It shows what I am NOT looking for.

Some routes are much longer nowadays. I am for instance trying to find the actual distance flown by a place I was on. And this is NOT an airline miles or points issue, but a mere wish to compare a longer southern route between LHR and SIN, compared to the regular one, that crisis forbid.
Old circa 5955nm
New circa 6275nm

Continuous variation on the theme that tends to appear in NH winter 6400 ish nm as it hugs the ME more to provide alternates that are not fogged or snowed out.
swissdiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.