Search

Seat unshifting...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Seat unshifting...

Checked in seq 003 for my HKG-LHR flight today. The flight is very full and I was hoping that the upgrade fairy would finally smile my way. When I went to collect my boarding pass at the Airport Express Station in Kowloon the agent looked at me and said "sir, there is a problem, we are very full tonight...". The corners of my mouth started to curl slightly upwards "and we have a family who wants to sit together" - well, that is fine with me as long as that means an upgrade - and we would ask you to move to (seat on lower deck somewhere; did not compute) to allow them to sit together."

"Say what now?"

"Yes, you have already checked in so I cannot move you but you don't mind sir, do you?"
(Let this be a lesson, apparently they can move you if you have not checked in yet!)
"I don't mind if my new seat number starts with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. Alternatively 62AK or 64AK are acceptable but nothing else..."
"But sir, we have a family...."

I did not budge. He did smile at my "there are no families on the UD!" joke and he wrote down my phone number just in case.

Probably lady luck will now have me sitting next to a screaming toddler. I found the way in which he tried to persuade me to change seats rather forceful...

Ah well, maybe the fairy will still meet me at the gate later.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thanks for the tip about checking in as early as possible Henk!

Hope you get your upgrade!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:09 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Checked in seq 003 for my HKG-LHR flight today. The flight is very full and I was hoping that the upgrade fairy would finally smile my way. When I went to collect my boarding pass at the Airport Express Station in Kowloon the agent looked at me and said "sir, there is a problem, we are very full tonight...". The corners of my mouth started to curl slightly upwards "and we have a family who wants to sit together" - well, that is fine with me as long as that means an upgrade - and we would ask you to move to (seat on lower deck somewhere; did not compute) to allow them to sit together."

"Say what now?"

"Yes, you have already checked in so I cannot move you but you don't mind sir, do you?"
(Let this be a lesson, apparently they can move you if you have not checked in yet!)
"I don't mind if my new seat number starts with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. Alternatively 62AK or 64AK are acceptable but nothing else..."

I did not budge. He did smile at my "there are no families on the UD!" joke and he wrote down my phone number just in case.

Probably lady luck will now have me sitting next to a screaming toddler. I found the way in which he tried to persuade me to change seats rather forceful...

Next thing you'll be in 17E...that starts with a "1" right?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andset1191
Next thing you'll be in 17E...that starts with a "1" right?
Oh blimey...

Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm with you. The couple of times I have been asked if I would mind moving in economy I've ended up in middle seats with one of those times being sat next to a screaming baby. Never again.

Unless there really is a good reason for moving (passenger with limited mobility needs to sit with their companion etc), or if the change does not result in a worse seat, then I'd rather stay put. I was once asked to give up 64A so that a DYKWIA couple (both he and she boarded in sunglasses and were draped in bling) could sit together, no chance.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the sooner they put back the other flight on the LHR - HKG routes the better. They are always full and I fail to understand why the airline cant. It must be clear they need more capacity again.

I wouldnt have moved. A family is a family, but still it isnt a lifetime only a matter of hours.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This route, in that direction, is notorious for this. It is always worth printing your own boarding pass and keeping a low profile until you get to the gate, so they can find some other volunteer for this treatment. At Kowloon it would have been a Cathay agent saying this to you - which is really rich since their own coffin business class makes family travel an undiluted experience in separation. I've never understood why the once-a-year families on cheap tickets should be seen to trump regular flyers for whom it is a matter of employment rather than enjoyment.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've never understood why the once-a-year families on cheap tickets should be seen to trump regular flyers for whom it is a matter of employment rather than enjoyment.
Pulls up chair, grabs some nibbles and cool white wine .... OK, let's go
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby

"Say what now?"

OK Henky, what was it?
Seat 1-5 or seat companion aged 1-5???
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still in the cabana at the Wing (which is what a cabana should be like by the way) so no idea if I will upgraded or not. Not holding my breath but I also don't care that much since I like the UD.

By the way, at Kowloon BA has its own desk so it wasn't CX trying to persuade me to change seats.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM
Keep us posted Henky.

BTW, can you take a pic of the cabana as I always thought that the cabanas at the wing were just large shower suites. If they have more, then I'll book one next time I am there.

Hope you get the UG ^
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hope you get the upgrade henkybaby! We always OLCI as early as possible, it is made a lot easier when you live out of London and have to get a connecting flight, as we can check in online earlier than 24 hours before the main flight! OLCI has a bit of a habit of not working when the flight is very full!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll be fine. The BA team at HKG are normally very good and there is no way they'd involuntarily seat shift unless for a very good operational reason. Families HAVING to sit together isn't one of those.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by CarolynUK

Thanks for the tip about checking in as early as possible Henk!
Seq No. 003 - henkybaby is a disgrace to the FT BAEC forum regulars!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just moved to the BA/QF FLounge near gate 15. Always a tense moment when she scanned my boarding pass but still it blinked a nice green. No change so far.

The cabanas at the Wing can't be 'reserved in advance' I believe but I never had a problem getting one. They are about twice as big as the CCR ones with a proper toilet cubicle, shower cubicle, bath, lounger and something that could be considered a day bed. Very comfy actually. The atmosphere is more that of a good Spa whereas in the CCR I always find it cheap and not worth it. They also don't make noise like the ones in the CCR.

There is sort of an open space at the end of each so you can hear people in other cabanas. I have enjoyed the sound of sex (couples and solo performances) and really loud farting from time to time.

I must have some pictures somewhere. Let me check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.