Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Extending Membership Year for New Status Level

Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

I know there's a thread for this somewhere, but the only one I can find is 3 years old, so thought I'd ask again as I'm not sure my scenario's been covered.

I find myself in the position where I *may* be able to reach Gold (real, not Eurocheat) this year, but its looking tight on the dates. In particular, the flight that could take me to Gold may not land until the day after my membership year ends. A few of questions on this:

1) I know that people have managed to get their membership year extended by a week or so so that they could renew at their current status level, but has anyone managed to get BA to extend it when moving up a tier?

2) If I take a flight that leaves on the last day of my membership year, but lands the first day of my new year, which year should the points be allocated to? Is it date of departure or date of arrival that counts?

3) Related to 2), do timezones affect this? eg, My flight may well leave on the last day of my membership year in my country of departure (eg, 8PM PST), but that might actually be the first day of my new membership year in GMT. Does BA take timezones into account when determining membership years or is it simply the date at the time of departure/arrival?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: ABBA
No idea on official rules, but my recent experience may help while you wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along:

My last overnight flight (that's posted) took off on Nov 21st LHR, landed on Nov 22nd PEK. The transaction date on my statement was the 21st, but they didn't post until the 23rd.

My last overnight flight (EWR-ORY) took off Jan 6th, landed Jan 7th, and still hasn't posted (I'm expecting it March 8th). The ORY->EWR flight on Dec 23rd had a transaction date of Dec 23rd, a posting date of Feb 8th (after my membership year reset on Jan 26th). I got 120tp, but then had an adjustment of -120tp immediately after.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk
My last overnight flight (that's posted) took off on Nov 21st LHR, landed on Nov 22nd PEK. The transaction date on my statement was the 21st, but they didn't post until the 23rd.
Of course, why didn't i look at my most recent SFO-LHR flight. I departed 7:50pm PST 16 Feb, which was 17th Feb in the UK. It posted with a transaction date of 16th Feb and a post date of 18th.

I believe its the transaction date that's used to determine which year it'll post into, but if the year end falls between that and the post date, the TPs are "lost" and you have to claim them back, due to how BA's systems work.

Originally Posted by paulwuk
The ORY->EWR flight on Dec 23rd had a transaction date of Dec 23rd, a posting date of Feb 8th (after my membership year reset on Jan 26th). I got 120tp, but then had an adjustment of -120tp immediately after.
Yes, I'd expect that, since the flights were in the previous membership year.

So, all I need to know now is whether anyone's gotten BA to extend their membership year when moving up a status, rather than renewing. I don't want to phone yet, as its actually two return flights away and I don't expect they'll be able to confirm anything at present.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:23 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
I'm in exactly the same situation for my Gold renewal and PM'd BA Executive Club last night - my super fast response was that should the year end process run before the flights post then contact Nicci who will fix it.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TMC
I'm in exactly the same situation for my Gold renewal and PM'd BA Executive Club last night - my super fast response was that should the year end process run before the flights post then contact Nicci who will fix it.
But is that for flights within the membership year, but don't post till after it? I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get their year extended when moving to the next tier level.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:22 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Paralytic
But is that for flights within the membership year, but don't post till after it? I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get their year extended when moving to the next tier level.
Yes it is - so is only really relevant to your original question 2, in that as mentioned the flights fall in the current year, but as they post 2 days later the renewal/promotion may not happen automatically.

Can't help with Q1.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
I don't know this for sure, but I'd imagine that if your flight that takes you to Gold departs on the last day of your membership year, you should hit Gold OK.

I'd also imagine that if you had a problem and needed an extension by a few days, a PM to Nicci would probably yield the results you want. BA are there to look after their Golds - a loyalty programme works both ways and if you're Gold, you're more likely to fly with BA to enjoy the privileges. BA aren't stupid and they know this.

all IMHO of course and YMMV.

Does anything think I'll get comped a GUF2 as my year resets next week and I'm only 165 TPs short?? (Sad day next week when all those TPs get reset to zero )
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I know there's a thread for this somewhere, but the only one I can find is 3 years old, so thought I'd ask again as I'm not sure my scenario's been covered.

I find myself in the position where I *may* be able to reach Gold (real, not Eurocheat) this year, but its looking tight on the dates. In particular, the flight that could take me to Gold may not land until the day after my membership year ends. A few of questions on this:

1) I know that people have managed to get their membership year extended by a week or so so that they could renew at their current status level, but has anyone managed to get BA to extend it when moving up a tier?2) If I take a flight that leaves on the last day of my membership year, but lands the first day of my new year, which year should the points be allocated to? Is it date of departure or date of arrival that counts?

3) Related to 2), do timezones affect this? eg, My flight may well leave on the last day of my membership year in my country of departure (eg, 8PM PST), but that might actually be the first day of my new membership year in GMT. Does BA take timezones into account when determining membership years or is it simply the date at the time of departure/arrival?
Maclover reported a 1 (or possibly 2) week extension to achieve gold in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...each-gold.html
Old May 17, 2014, 9:57 am
mtt

Just wanted to offer some more recent information on this.

I have a Silver card but was going to be very close to qualifying for Gold, missing the membership year cutoff by just a few days.

I called up BA who, without any sort of negotiation required, said I could have a two week extension to my membership year. They put a note on my file and asked me to call back once I'd completed my travels to process the extension.

The only caveat was that the two week extension did have to be for two weeks - so any travel I did before the new end of the year would count to the previous year. As it happens I'll "lose" 280 TP on this given I'm flying next week as well, taking me to the entirely pointless threshold of 1805 just before the year expires, but given how flexible they've been this feels entirely reasonable and I'm not complaining.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.