Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B747 Crew Sleeping Quarters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by redsox1918
This is a interesting post.

Last year I decided to shadow Mrs Sox during a back to back trip.

Why did you shadow here? Did she know that you were there? Were you in disguise? Am I old enough to know the truth?

Now - my hairbrush and i are coming into the argument.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that if there were not bunks - the crew would have to have seats set aside instead. Therefore, as we cannot put passengers up in the tail - we put crew as they are out of the way. Our friends at AA have strict rest times - all reputable airlines do this on Long Haul.

So - the bunks may sound like a "perk" - and in a way they are to be honest as they are far better than trying to doze in a seat.

We have for years taught at Lesson 1 at recruitment - this not not a difficult job but it is hard on you. Altitude, jet lag (chronic sometimes believe me), cabin air, change of temperatures at destination - they do take a toll.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by sweeper20
Thank you. I've been somewhat doing this to make a point as well - mostly that a lot of people have tough jobs with long hours. It sometimes irks me to have to read post after post about 'how we work harder than you and you just don't understand' (I work with a lot of crabby, angry people too! )Yes, I fully agree with people being well rested to perform whatever job they are employed to do - it only makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is that sense of 'we have it harder than other working folks.' I appreciate your post, and will take a look at your suggested reading.
Having read through this whole thread, I do not see, in any post, by any crew member or someone speaking on behalf of crew stating that "we work harder than any other working folks". Unless you can draw my attention to a post I may have missed.

No one, at any point has denied that people in other jobs and industries work hard and long hours too. It just happens that in this highly regulated and controlled industry, in terms of procedural working, they specify that crew must have X rest on X duties.

All of this from someone who is keen on aviation asking for some information about something behind the scenes that the regular traveller does not know of, are aware of or would ever get to see. Makes me wonder why some people bother contributing to a forum like this.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by John Kline
btw did you know that the B747 got its 'Jumbo' nickname from an elephant called Mumbo Jumbo? The description 'Jumbo' was only termed after this large creature and wasn't in useage beforehand, as a description of size.
Err... yes. The word jumbo has been used to describe large items since the 19th century.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I got shown the quarters once on a flight to LAX by a rather friendly crew member. I don't think it's strictly allowed. It was quite rough up there actually...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
We have for years taught at Lesson 1 at recruitment - this not not a difficult job but it is hard on you. Altitude, jet lag (chronic sometimes believe me), cabin air, change of temperatures at destination - they do take a toll.
PUCCI, I noted that the Formula 1 circus, when going for the night race in Singapore (bear with me) stay on UK/European time, in order to prevent their body clocks getting screwed up. Is that something that LH crew also practice, or do you try to get onto local time, even though you are only down route for a day or three?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
...flight time limitations are quite different when there are 'heavy crewed' with in-flight relief...
I could do with a bit of "in-flight relief"...^
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner
I got shown the quarters once on a flight to LAX by a rather friendly crew member. I don't think it's strictly allowed. It was quite rough up there actually...
That post could be read in two VERY different ways...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Having read through this whole thread, I do not see, in any post, by any crew member or someone speaking on behalf of crew stating that "we work harder than any other working folks". Unless you can draw my attention to a post I may have missed.

No one, at any point has denied that people in other jobs and industries work hard and long hours too. It just happens that in this highly regulated and controlled industry, in terms of procedural working, they specify that crew must have X rest on X duties.

All of this from someone who is keen on aviation asking for some information about something behind the scenes that the regular traveller does not know of, are aware of or would ever get to see. Makes me wonder why some people bother contributing to a forum like this.
Thanks for contributing as well
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweeper20
Thanks for contributing as well
You are welcome...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I'm far happier knowing that the crew have a rest area that allows them some 180 degree time, it makes me feel that little bit safer. In my previous job I had early starts of around 5am which meant that by days end at 1pm I was knackered, despite however much sleep I had had the night before. The chair at my desk allowed greater recline than OCW and I could & did easily fall asleep at my desk when my day had officially ended (well it was that or wake up at the end of the line on the tube). So I can entirely see why crew need a decent rest area, mandated or not, whether it is used for rest or not
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Any employee in the EU has the right to rest and time off work - under the Working Time Directives. And, quite rightly, safety-critical jobs have stricter regulations.

I work shifts, and occasionally, a week of night shifts. If I'm tired and groggy at work, and something goes wrong, no-one dies. If a member of a flight crew is tired and groggy at work, and something goes wrong, then someone might. I'm quite happy for them to have somewhere comfy for their rest breaks. (Though my manager still hasn't responded to my request for a hammock...)
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:00 am

I certainly was not trying to suggest that flight crews work harder than anyone else, nor indeed that other people do not work long and hard hours. What I was saying was that just because people in other jobs work long hours without a break does not make it sensible or safe. The rest mandated by CAP 371 is based in much scientific research, some bloke you know that does 18hour days is hardly scientific. Besides as was mentioned, flying (amongst some other industries) is safety critical. Doubtless those safety critical industries also have regulations to ensure safety. Even the UK medical profession is being kicked screaming and kicking into the 20th century - much to the annoyance of senior doctors. They are looking hard at aviation to avoid some of the errors that being human causes. "Is the right leg the right one? No, the left leg is the right one" - which is why we number engines to avoid confusion.

Rather than question why crew get provided with adequate rest facilities, perhaps the question ought to be why many industries do not provide such facilities. The flat beds in J and W are part of those rest facilities that companies provide (through the ticket price) to allow people to go to work straight off the plane.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by globalste
Also, just because the longest BA flight (which I think is longer than 12hours due to the SIN flight and also the one that stops through South America), does not mean that crew are not maxed-out and need some sleep. They may also by doing eg LHR-JFK-LHR in one shift. Also, crew work at ~8000ft pressure altitude with very low humidity, which makes you more tired (and is why you feel tired and dehydrated after a flight).
Is that right? - Do CC work LHR-JFK-LHR in one long shift, on the same plane? Wow. I thought (assumed) there was always a rest period for crew between LH flights.

I have to say, looking at the photos of the crew rest areas, when cc see that area as a nice place to be, it shows what they have to put up with during the rest of their shift. I wouldn't fancy being squashed in a cell that you can't stand up in right in the tail of the plane. Oh okay, maybe I could if I let my mind wander on who I could share it with .
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Yep, lunch breaks at least. Sometimes tea break, cigarette breaks, etc. Numerous cups of coffee, etc whilst working at your desk.

Not sure why people love to knock those who work in aviation.
Cigarette break I thought there was no smoking on planes?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Cigarette break I thought there was no smoking on planes?
I think SRG was referring to people working on the ground...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.