End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
Why not let all former IRIS registered users enrol on to this scheme?

Isn't it slightly short-sighted to not allow UK residents regardless of nationality to use this?

Really strange
All it does is get you in the EU/EEA queue - so there is no benefit to UK members. No special handling for this scheme.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by Markie
All it does is get you in the EU/EEA queue - so there is no benefit to UK members. No special handling for this scheme.
To UK citizens, maybe not. To UK residents of non-EU/EEA citizenship, it would help!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by techie
I am for one glad that Iris at T5 has been given its marching orders. It annoyed me to no end when I tried to apply for it last year -- around the time when Border Agency was given a kicking by politicians for wait times reaching 1hr+ in EU section in the run-up to Olympics -- but was told that it is no longer possible to do so. Apparently it was only supposed to remain until the end of Olympics but, like many things, decommissioning took ages.

I am not opposed to it, if they re-open registration, but this is no longer a possibility. If they shunt human-staffed desks to where Iris was and bring more e-gates, I wouldn't complain.
So just because you couldn't get it, you want it canned?

There will be more e-gates at some point but the delay in that happening isn't fully assignable to IRIS.

E-gates (when functioning) will tend to back up/slow down more than IRIS (when functioning) if the experience with US APC vs US GE is anything to go by -- as the former has more open participation than the latter.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by adl73x
To UK citizens, maybe not. To UK residents of non-EU/EEA citizenship, it would help!
The latter group of people are explicitly excluded. And I have seen no timetable that says that this will definitely change to include all such persons in the spring of 2014 .... although there is some hope that it will then as the plan is to open enrollment to a broader pool of people then.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So just because you couldn't get it, you want it canned?
No, I wanted them to be canned if the IRIS scheme no longer accepted registration, which was the case for more than a year before last week. If they allowed me to register and use it, I wouldn't want it canned. One problem with that is because of issues with understaffed desks and e-gates throwing a fit, more people would have been inclined to register and, once closed, Border Agency would have made even more people cheesed off to put it mildly.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:22 am

Thank you IRIS for more than six wonderful, stress free, non queuing years!
I'll miss your commands to move to the left a little and your flickering red light in your sensor as my prelude to your monotone "thank you" prior to your sliding glass gates to freedom. Gone but never forgotten
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

I'll miss the entertainment provided by unregistered numpties who try to wave their passport at the screen, hold their hand on it for "fingerprinting", swear and curse when it doesn't let them through.... And a special place in my heart for the American lady who followed me into the booth one morning, didn't want to leave when I explained she couldn't come through with me, and then ( the cherry on the cake as I am not from the UK) made a point of telling me "how rude you English are!"
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
By the way, no Brits or Germans or Australians here remember use of INSPASS.
This one does.

I also remember getting somebody else's details on the printout issued at EWR and the entertaining few minutes on the other side of the mirrored wall helping the authorities sort out their problem, sitting with other suspects awaiting interrogation.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:45 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
I went through T5 immigration on 3 evenings last week and on 2 occasions had horrible queues, not helped by numpties struggling to use the EU passport chip machines. Does anyone know if there are any plans for frequent flyers eg. BA GGLs to have any kind of preferential treatment going forward?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I arrived T5 late last Friday evening on one of a number of aircraft delayed by the knock-on effects of the normal LHR day. The e-gates were closed and both the EU and non-EU border lines were more than 100m long. On complaining, the border official told me the e-gates have to close at 23:00 since it needs a BAA person to monitor the machines. Piss-poor.

On top of that, LHR was at its worst last Friday night:
- 30 minutes holding on approach
- guidance system deactivated at gate (20 mins delay on aircraft)
- jet bridghe not attended (another 15 mins on aircraft)
- passport control (30 mins delay for EU)
- baggage delay (a further 15 mins even after all other delays)

We picked up our rental car 2 hours and 15 minutes after landing !!

What I suppose I should say is that if Iris were still there, my wait at the baggage carousel would simply have been extended. So maybe the whole thing is just the UK border authority bringing their performance into line with the rest of LHR.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I arrived T5 late last Friday evening on one of a number of aircraft delayed by the knock-on effects of the normal LHR day. The e-gates were closed and both the EU and non-EU border lines were more than 100m long. On complaining, the border official told me the e-gates have to close at 23:00 since it needs a BAA person to monitor the machines. Piss-poor.

On top of that, LHR was at its worst last Friday night:
- 30 minutes holding on approach
- guidance system deactivated at gate (20 mins delay on aircraft)
- jet bridghe not attended (another 15 mins on aircraft)
- passport control (30 mins delay for EU)
- baggage delay (a further 15 mins even after all other delays)

We picked up our rental car 2 hours and 15 minutes after landing !!

What I suppose I should say is that if Iris were still there, my wait at the baggage carousel would simply have been extended. So maybe the whole thing is just the UK border authority bringing their performance into line with the rest of LHR.
I also came in on Friday night with all of the above delays, except that I made a big effort to get from a seat towards the front of the plane to border control expeditiously and managed to get a shorter queue at that stage. To their credit, UK Border Force was processing people faster than I've ever seen them do at LHR.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stifle
I also came in on Friday night with all of the above delays, except that I made a big effort to get from a seat towards the front of the plane to border control expeditiously and managed to get a shorter queue at that stage. To their credit, UK Border Force was processing people faster than I've ever seen them do at LHR.
Were they still scanning EU passports?

Over the weekend I've went through passport control in HEL, BUD, FCO and LHR [and other non-EU places] and UK was the only EU country where they scanned the passports - the rest just looked at it and compared you with a photo...
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Were they still scanning EU passports?

Over the weekend I've went through passport control in HEL, BUD, FCO and LHR [and other non-EU places] and UK was the only EU country where they scanned the passports - the rest just looked at it and compared you with a photo...
Yes they were. Can't see that going away. Only other places my passport has been scanned within the EU are PRG and FRA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.