Search

Duty free shopping. Transfer terminals?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Duty free shopping. Transfer terminals?

Did a quick search but couldn't find the answer so thought to ask in this forum. I am transferring in T5 and was wondering is there a way to go to T3 for some duty free shopping?

The shops that I want are only in T3.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
yes ... enter UK through Immigration at T5, reclaim baggage, get to T3 with your baggage, do the shopping, return to T5, check in baggage, pass through Security, wait for flight ...

I suspect it's possibly even more complicated than that.

Is it really that important/cheap/unobtainable?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Is it really that important/cheap/unobtainable?
Not really that big a deal. But I have a 4hr lay over in T5 and if possible that would waste some time and save me some money.

I will be checking in at NCL and then flying internationally from T5.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I suspect it's possibly even more complicated than that.
Well, actually yes it is - without a T3 boarding pass, your 'helpful' suggestion won't allow OP access to T3 duty free shops.

I don't know the answer, but do recall an old episode of Airline where the personal shoppers heped someone do just this (different terminals obviously). Maybe drop BAA en e-mail if you're really keen on something specific.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, you arrive from NCL at [T5?], presumably with bags checked through for the LH flight?

You then make your way to T3 ... and you're looking to shop airside at T3? And you get through Security how? And you get back land-side how?

Forget it!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Well, actually yes it is - without a T3 boarding pass, your 'helpful' suggestion won't allow OP access to T3 duty free shops.

I don't know the answer, but do recall an old episode of Airline where the personal shoppers heped someone do just this (different terminals obviously). Maybe drop BAA en e-mail if you're really keen on something specific.
Ok. Will see what they have to say. Was hoping someone on here knew.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I'm sure I remember a woman in Airport taking a passenger on a bus tour of Heathrow to do some shopping in another terminal, nearly missing her flight because of it.

Edit: Oh, someone already said this!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chistery
I'm sure I remember a woman in Airport taking a passenger on a bus tour of Heathrow to do some shopping in another terminal, nearly missing her flight because of it.

I can't seem to get their contact email address for the shopping section.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by chistery
It's amazing what shite sticks in the mind, isn't it?!?!?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Yup, I was gently working my way towards that barrier!
A 'personal shopper' might be able to assist, I suppose.
I do hope this is an extremely expensive and select item, and not a multi-pack of Yorkie Bars

Why did someone have to turn bludgy airports into a "retail experience"
I know it's economics, but it just gets on my moobs.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I do hope this is an extremely expensive and select item, and not a multi-pack of Yorkie Bars

It is. Just googled their email address so will drop them a email see what they have to say.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lallyr
It is. Just googled their email address so will drop them a email see what they have to say.
Good luck!

I can't see any way you can do it personally, but it sounds as though its clearly worth the effort.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci

Don't forget that was all filmed way before 9/11. AFAIK it is definitely a no-no to get airside in a Terminal that you don't have a BP for.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by OPebble
Don't forget that was all filmed way before 9/11. AFAIK it is definitely a no-no to get airside in a Terminal that you don't have a BP for.
Well I don't think this is quite correct. If the OP was arriving from anywhere other than domestic then yes she could go to T3 since there are no BP checks from Flight Connections at the other terminals. There is a check going into T5 airside, though you can still exit via T5 without a T5 boarding pass (useful for the denizens of M25 land).

So if the OP was coming from AMS, she could go airside via flight connections to T3, be searched at T3, do her shopping (I won't bother being gender neutral) then return back to T5, having another security search and the BP scan there. One hour travelling to and fro would cover it.

HOWEVER: if you arrive at T5 from domestic there is an informal eye glance of your boarding pass as you pass through the glass door from domestic arrivals into the Flight Connections corridor. This is where the OP would be stopped, at least in theory (it doesn't seem that thorough to me).

There is no security check (but there is an electronic BP check) from domestic arrivals T5 into main concourse T5.

So I cannot see how the OP can do it, unless she changes her routing.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well I don't think this is quite correct. If the OP was arriving from anywhere other than domestic then yes she could go to T3 since there are no BP checks from Flight Connections at the other terminals. There is a check going into T5 airside, though you can still exit via T5 without a T5 boarding pass (useful for the denizens of M25 land).

So if the OP was coming from AMS, she could go airside via flight connections to T3, be searched at T3, do her shopping (I won't bother being gender neutral) then return back to T5, having another security search and the BP scan there. One hour travelling to and fro would cover it.

HOWEVER: if you arrive at T5 from domestic there is an informal eye glance of your boarding pass as you pass through the glass door from domestic arrivals into the Flight Connections corridor. This is where the OP would be stopped, at least in theory (it doesn't seem that thorough to me).

There is no security check (but there is an electronic BP check) from domestic arrivals T5 into main concourse T5.

So I cannot see how the OP can do it, unless she changes her routing.
Thanks for the detailed answer. Will see what the personal shopper has to say.

p.s He

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.