Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mauritius moves down to Gatwick from Winter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mauritius moves down to Gatwick from Winter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Is that how it works? I am not very familiar with oneworld's rules, but on Star Allliance LHR and LGW (and LCY for that matter) would be considered as co-terminals for LON, rather than as completely separate destinations. The same thing applies for JFK/EWR/LGA or NRT/HND, for example. It would indeed be a massive restriction of the RTW ticket if LGW-LHR v.v. counted as a sector!
Yes it is unfortunately, unless something's changed in the past 12 months that I'm not aware of. I'm sure someone will come along soon enough to correct me if I'm wrong. It's a particular pain in New York with most domestic flights arriving into LGA!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Yes, the LHR-LGW transit does use a coupon - the reason for this is an IATA mandated limit on e-tickets having 16 coupons - including 'blanks' that in paper ticket days would have been torn out and voided before the booklet was handed to you. For example:
. . JFK
1 . LHR BA
2 . LGW -- VOID --
3 . MRU BA
4 . --- -- VOID --

The surface sector 'requires' a coupon, because theoretically there could be a means of transportation between the two points (a la BA Helicopters, high speed rail, limo..) that might be possible to include on the ticket but isn't ticketed. And although some airports are co-terminals for a city, there may be different fares/TFCs to depart from one airport viz the other. For example, LHR has a higher Passenger Service Extortion Charge than LGW. Similarly, LHR fares to Europe are higher than those ex-LGW, even possibly on higher flexible fares. LCY is different again. To prevent unscruplous types paying the lower fare/TFC for a connection out of one terminal and then 'innocently' turning up/staying at the higher priced one, the ticket needed to be issued with the airport code clearly marked, not just the city code of LON or NYC. This still applies to an e-tkt, although it's mostly a hangover from paper tickets.

But to correct cyba, it's only one additional coupon, as on a oneworld RTW having transitted LHR-LGW and flown to MRU, you wouldn't be going back through LON again having left Europe. Your onward would have to be, as before, either MRU-JNB or an open jaw to another African city. Same in reverse, if you leave MRU going to LON, you have to come back through Africa anyway.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by JAXBA
[COLOR="Navy"]Yes, the LHR-LGW transit does use a coupon - the reason for this is an IATA mandated limit on e-tickets having 16 coupons - including 'blanks' that in paper ticket days would have been torn out and voided before the booklet was handed to you. For example:
. . JFK
1 . LHR BA
2 . LGW -- VOID --
3 . MRU BA
4 . --- -- VOID --

The surface sector 'requires' a coupon, because theoretically there could be a means of transportation between the two points
Thanks, great explanation ^

I remember those tickets, orange coupons with red text I wonder who was the mastermind behind that solution.

Are they in use at all, anywhere?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:21 am

Are the flight numbers staying the same?

Kinda liked the novality of BA0123
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by melted
Are the flight numbers staying the same?

Kinda liked the novality of BA0123
Convention would have suggested BA2123. However, it's actually been given BA2063.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
im guessing here, but i think we could see some more routes announced fairly soon, as unless something is binned or re-scheduled, do we not need an additional airframe at LGW just to operate MRU ?
Isn't MRU one of the routes that's moved over to MF?

If so, how will that work ex-LGW?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Routes can move between MF and WW at LHR depending on commercial need, so they will simply crew the flight with SFLGW.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Although there will have to be some negotiation with LGW crew before they will be operating it.

I by no means claim to be any sort of mind on the LGW operation, however, I believe that the duty length required to operate the MRU sectors is outside the MOA that the crew work within. So, it will have to be agreed with the crew, presumably via some form of representing body, for a change or exception to be made to the normal operating limits for LGW crew.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I know a couple of the VCC/MF crew wbo work at LGW are most disappointed this is coming our way as they were looking forward to a few days on the beach in MRU (which as MF operating ex-LHR they would have got)

But I think it's great news for LGW. Very exciting.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Feb 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.