Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Lounge Refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
JFK Lounge Refurbishment

Looks like the long awaited refurbishment of the BA lounge at JFK is starting kicking off with the Concorde Room. The CCR is in the middle of its refurbishment today (Jan 4, 2011) but still operating. Looks like it will be the full LHR T5 CCR look. The layout (bar, dining area, toilets, seating area, computer area) remains the same.

All the tables in the dining area have been replaced by the booth style seating at the T5 CCR. Personally, I am not sure if that is a good thing in terms of attracting wating staff attention. Half the carpeting has been laid down (the dark brown carpet that gives the CCR its dark feel) but should would better at JFK as there is a lot of light coming through the floor to ceiling to windows around most of the room. The walls is also has the black/dark brown wood style cladding.

Overheard that the rest of the carpeting will be laid down tomorrow. I think they are working on the CCR in the morning in sections when it is closed. Still the old seats today but I expect the CCR style sofas and arm-chairs should be in when the rest of the carpets are laid.

The new computer screens are also up – same style as the BA Galleries lounge but has been extended slight further along towards the dining room. The are now on bar with bar style seats like the one located along the walls of the business centre in the LHR T5 flounge.

There is a slight smell of refurbishment in the air at the moment. I would be surprised if the CCR is not completed by the end of this or next week.

One major error that someone needs to look into. When you log into the free BA internet service, the window title (the grey area at the top of the frame) that comes up while the system connects up with the WiFi says "British Air". URGH! Looks like they hired a US computer programmer. There is also a new look BA screen when you successfully log into the BA.

Edited to add:
Today must be the the first day of the partial refurbished look. All the BA included the rather portly chef has been walking around the CCR to have a look at the changes. Amusing the watch.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jan 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:16 pm

Am there Sunday, so will report on how progress is!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
AT LAST ^^

Could somebody please post pictures as soon as possible (no matter whether the quality is DSLR or some old Nokia phone camera) ^
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:30 pm

Both First lounge and Terraces have gone through a initial round of refurbishment to fit with the galleries concept. Terraces has had quite extensive work done to the area after the entrance opposite the wardrobes and up towards the Spa reception with more open space, bigger work area and Galleries style furniture. The TV room has had the glass wall removed. Makes it more open however I preferred when it was more of a dedicated TV room to chill-out in or catch some late night sports before boarding the 182.

First Lounge:

Terraces (will upload more photos tomorrow):
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Am I missing something or is my memory deceiving me? The photo of the JFK F lounge looks much as I remember it on my last visit in December 09. What's changed?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:58 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Am I missing something or is my memory deceiving me? The photo of the JFK F lounge looks much as I remember it on my last visit in December 09. What's changed?
Must admit that was my first reaction too! I can't see any difference to what it has been like for years!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:16 am
Suspended

Was there in December 10 and it looked similar. I didn't think anything had changed.

However the CCR project hopefully means no imminent move to AAize operations over at T8.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:28 am

First lounge has not seen any real work, but I believe the furniture has been updated to Galleries concept standard.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:52 am

Would an AA emerald member flying coach be admitted to the lounge?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by mishugana
No, CCR is F passengers only. Not even BA Golds can get in it.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Anybody have any pics of the CCR and more of the refurbished First/Terraces lounges?

Originally Posted by mishugana
No. The Concorde Room is for BA First passengers, Premier members and Concorde Room card holders only (the latter two of which are invitation only).

You can use the First lounge (other airline's F passengers and oneworld Emerald), located adjacent to the Terraces lounge (J passengers and oneworld Sapphire).
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
The only thing I noticed when I was there (for hours...) just after Christmas was that there seemed to be less furniture, there was more open space, particularly in the area on the left behind the screen opposite the bar. Have to say, I didn't think it counted as a refurb... Didn't notice the new furniture but I haven't been in it for several months so couldn't really say.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold,HHilton Diamond VIP,Intercontinental Ambass,Amex
Concorde Room refurb at JFK

Quite a shock to arrive in the Concorde Room to find the refurb. The staff are very proud of the refurb and it is indeed very nice and homely. The final items are still to be done like having the ceiling light fittings and ornaments on the display cabinets. The computers are now located bottom right of the lounge behind the dining area and are set up as high desks and breakfast bar stools. Not designed for staying very long.

Today was the beginning of the new menu. Beef barley soup and chicken was fab and the banana brioche was divine.

I have taken some quick pic's and I will post them tomorrow.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babunny
I have taken some quick pic's and I will post them tomorrow.
Fantastic - looking forward to them! ^
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I don't know what the lounge looked like before but I was there last Thursday and it looked absolutely fantastic. The staff are very proud of it. Tables are now more private (same set-up as LHR). Well done^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.