Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 12, 10, 1:54 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 40
Price of upgrade to [Club] World

Has anyone checked the cost of round trip to BCN lately? I have been watching the availability of upgrades to World, and as of two weeks ago the prices have jumped sky high. On 9/25 the cost from PHX, DFW, IAH to BCN was approx. $4448 + miles. On 9/26 until today the cost is $11,079 from the same places. That is more than buying a Club World ticket outright. I have spoken with BA two times and they assure me that the pricing is in the $4448 and that they will correct the "public" computers. So far, nothing.
bassmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 10, 11:28 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: Lord Mucci des Contes de Voyages, Diamond Hairbrush
Posts: 11,097
When you say upgrades, do you mean the cash upgrades offered in MMB? This varies depending on the lowest available Club World class.
__________________
Genius1 Trip Report Index
Genius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 10, 10:40 am   #3
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 40
I am simply referring to the fact that we want to purchase Traveller's Plus tickets (with money) and upgrade to Club World with miles. The price has escalated dramatically to the point that it is more expensive to do this than to purchase CW tickets outright. I have seen other threads stating this also. However, yesterday, I discovered that to purchase CW tickets outright has gone up approx. $5000 in two weeks. Surely, this cannot be right.
bassmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 10, 10:56 am   #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perpetual Traveller
Programs: SPG Plt
Posts: 220
I think it may be something to do with the computer system as I was looking for flights the other day, SFO to CDG purchasing WT+ and upgrading to Biz using points and on some days it would be $2k + 25k points, on others the flight itself was coming up as being over $11k in WT plus points.
Toula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 10, 11:15 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Freeload Univ. Where are you sitting?
Posts: 11,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toula View Post
I think it may be something to do with the computer system ...
I hope so.

I was looking the other day at an MFU (something like YYZ-LHR) and it priced out as 25K + $6600 +. Inasmuch as that's a lot more than the cash price of the ticket, I assumed it was a computer glitch.

Or maybe not ....
__________________
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

-- The Wizard of Oz
BigLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 10, 12:40 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TLV/LHR
Programs: BA Gold ,LH Sen, LY SIL, FB Pla, HH Gold, IC Amb, SPG Gold, Avis President club etc...
Posts: 11,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmomma View Post
Has anyone checked the cost of round trip to BCN lately? I have been watching the availability of upgrades to World.
World..?
clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 10, 1:45 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club, Delta Skymiles, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
World..?
Stop being pedantic. You know too well the OP means CW
__________________
gaz - Remaining loyal to BA
gaz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 10, 4:13 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 22,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmomma View Post
I am simply referring to the fact that we want to purchase Traveller's Plus tickets (with money) and upgrade to Club World with miles. The price has escalated dramatically to the point that it is more expensive to do this than to purchase CW tickets outright. I have seen other threads stating this also. However, yesterday, I discovered that to purchase CW tickets outright has gone up approx. $5000 in two weeks. Surely, this cannot be right.
I think that it could in theory be entirely right.

You have to buy a World Traveller Plus ticket and then upgrade to Club. But the most expensive WT+ tickets can be more expensive than the cheapest Club tickets. So if you are upgrading from WT+ to Club with miles and the cash element is being priced on the basis of the most expensive WT+ ticket, in theory you could well be paying more cash than you would pay for a Club ticket.

So, for an illustration, PHX-LHR-BCN and return in February is about $2,100 on the cheapest WT+ ticket, $5,500 on the most expensive WT+ ticket, and $3,300 on the cheapest Club ticket.

So if you were to upgrade with miles from the $5,500 WT+ ticket, you would be paying much more than you'd pay for the cheapest Club ticket. But you would be getting a much more flexible ticket than the cheapest Club ticket.

I can't reconcile these numbers to the ones you give, because you should be able to upgrade with BA Miles from the $2,100 ticket. You'll pay fractionally more than that, plus the miles. So I don't know where your $4,448 figure comes from, nor your $11,079 figure. No WT+ should cost as much as $11,079, even if you are upgrading it with miles. Something is wrong there.

As others say, if the BA website is returning a ticket price is based on the most expensive WT+ fare when you know that there is availability for the lowest WT+ fare, then it's a ba.com bug. Simple solution: just book your ticket on the phone if the agents can see the availability at the lower price.
Globaliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 10, 2:06 am   #9
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I can't reconcile these numbers to the ones you give, because you should be able to upgrade with BA Miles from the $2,100 ticket. You'll pay fractionally more than that, plus the miles. So I don't know where your $4,448 figure comes from, nor your $11,079 figure. No WT+ should cost as much as $11,079, even if you are upgrading it with miles. Something is wrong there.
I think the OP is looking at the price of two tickets. If you double your figures of $2100 and $5500 you get approx what the OP is quoting.
ung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 10, 6:16 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 22,124
Ah, I see.

We are supposed to read minds as well as help with air travel?
Globaliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 10, 12:33 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
Posts: 351
Come now Globaliser, it's called multi-tasking!!
Seshman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:37 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.