Wiki Posts
Search

JAL to move into T5?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze
JAL to move into T5?

BA are exmaining whether it makes sense to allow JAL to move into T5. (Announcement on the BA intranet) Suprising as I would have thought BA would have liked them to move into T3, rather than T5.

Talks at the very early stages.

Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
I would have thought BA would have liked them to move into T3
They're already in T3.

Seems an odd development?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:10 am

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
I guess it wouldn't add too many flights to the daily schedule, and to share the costs on the sparkly new terminal must be attractive. Personally, I was wondering whether the longer term plan (once the C gates come online) might not be to get as much OW traffic through T5 as possible. In terms of synergies & costs, it would make sense (though I don't know whether the full eventual T5 capacity could manage ALL OW flights).
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Makes perfect sense given that BA operate their daily LHR-NRT from T5 plus the plan for greater codesharing between both, particularly JL codes being placed on more BA short-haul European flights.

Whilst I understand the consolidation of the OW carriers at T3, I'm still a little surprised that when QF moved from T4 that they didn't move to T5 with BA.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
They're already in T3.

Seems an odd development?

ah sorry..I meant as being handled by BA..sharing facilities etc
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
I could see it when T5C opens, but not before. There are enough bussed departures as it is...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I would've thought BA would want to keep this terminal to itself. What makes JAL special as opposed to moving all BA/IB Spanish flights to T5 or the already mentioned QF joint ventures?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Would ruin the view having anything other that the Union Flag tail fins lined up outside. Brings a nice symmetry IMHO as is.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Originally Posted by layz
I would've thought BA would want to keep this terminal to itself. What makes JAL special as opposed to moving all BA/IB Spanish flights to T5 or the already mentioned QF joint ventures?
I guess the logic is that JL is only one flight per day. I also got the impression when JL reaffirmed it's allegiance to OW earlier this year that BA had pledged a greater level of co-operation on LHR-NRT flights. If that goes as far as codeshares on both the BA and JL services, then it makes sense to operate both from the one terminal, such as the BA/IB flights to Spain et al.

I had the impression that T5 was intended to stay purely BA, but with the deepening of co-operation between the OW alliance members, it probably makes operational sense to open up T5 to the other carriers where they can be accommodated.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Maybe we can look forward to a Japanese touch in the lounges. Sushi, Sake and the Japanse beer that I can't remember the name of.

Also, those strange automatic tap beer dispenser
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Japanse beer that I can't remember the name of.

Sapporo?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:21 am

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Maybe we can look forward to a Japanese touch in the lounges. Sushi, Sake and the Japanse beer that I can't remember the name of.

Does that also mean we'll have the curious joy of japanese toilets? Personally, those things scare me sh!tless - why would anyone in their right mind choose to combine a lavatory seat, an IBM mainframe and the Bellagio fountains into a public convenience??
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
If JAL joins BA at T5, then it saves JL the lounge facility fees (yay=P) and it helps BA connects with JAL flights. I mean, currently JL lands in LHR late in the afternoon already, if connecting on BA in T5, the pax has to rush his way through the bus, transfer, then security, limiting the number of flights they can connect on. Since JL had been increasing its codeshare network with BA and with airlines in Europe, moving JL to T5 would help BA with the flight connections, and similarly allows BA to put pax on JL flights through JAL network.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by arcticfox
Does that also mean we'll have the curious joy of japanese toilets?
^^^

Masterpiece of (over) engineering
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by HotelSlave
If JAL joins BA at T5, then it saves JL the lounge facility fees (yay=P)
Surely they just swap from paying BA for T3 access, to paying BA for T5 access?

This is interesting, the first hint I've seen that I recall that T5 wouldn't just be BA flights. Wonder what it might mean for swaps and moves in general as AA/IB come in closer too.

Wasn't there a plan mooted at some point to extend the T5 train to T3 too? Or was that some baggage system only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.