Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: iPad etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:09 am
Original Poster

OT: iPad etiquette

I had a night flight last night from the US to LHR and I saw the future... and it's not going to be the fairytale Mr Jobs would have us believe!

If it hadn't been for the number of spare seats available and some very understanding cabin crew, I think we could have had some air rage on our hands!

Imagine someone watching a television in their living room with the lights off - The contantly changing, flashing light that's emitted from the screen. It's the sort of effect you see when passing someone's house at night and you can tell that they're watching TV, even though their curtains are closed.

Now imagine that same situation in a dim aircraft cabin! It really makes you appreciate the VOD screens and the lack of non line of sight light they give off. I'm sure these iPad users could dim their screens, but as far as I could tell the 3 people watching movies that I could see on theirs seemed to like to have it as bright and vivid as possible.

So for most of the flight, all the overhead storage lockers around these passengers were illuminated by their iPads. They have them resting on their laps pointing at almost a 45 degree angle too, so all the light is going upwards. It's really annoying and if I were ever forced to sit next to someone doing that on a night flight, it would drive me nuts, regardless of whether I was trying to sleep or not.

Hats off to the BA cabin crew though for relocating those passengers who were finding it distracting. I guess people will just have to get used to wearing the eye masks if they want to sleep and will learn to put up with it when they're watching VOD or reading. I don't hold out much hope that these iPad users will 'get' it.

On a separate, flight-related note. Who thought serving a hot meal after 11pm but only a cupcake for breakfast was a good idea? I was totally baffled by the in-flight meals last night.

Last edited by Bloomsbury; Jun 13, 2010 at 7:24 am
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well the eye masks are there for a reason.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Well the eye masks are there for a reason.
As are eyelids.

iPads are different to laptops how?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Greg66
As are eyelids.

iPads are different to laptops how?
They are iPadier.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

No different really, although the iPad's HD screen does emit more light than your bog standard laptop plus the angle of shine will vary purely because it is a hand held device.

I agree, this is just an extension of the old window blinds up or down chestnut. Eye masks or lids () will remove any intrusion.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Of greater interest, will Kevincm be releasing an iPad version of his world renowned GhettoIFE™?

Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
Of greater interest, will Kevincm be releasing an iPad version of his world renowned GhettoIFE™?
Kev's Ghetto IFE is heading for the bin....he's gone and booked a F ticket.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Which seat is best for avoiding the glare from the iPads?

I predict 62AK and any bulkhead seat because there is no-one immediately in front of you and so the glare will either be far ahead or behind you.

Unless of course the chap next to you has the iPad on but that risk is the same in any seat.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Thought this was going to be a 767 rant when I quickly scanned the post!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Wait till they roll out wifi on these planes.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Staying with my iTouch, thank you! At least that fits in a pocket!!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
When travelling on public transport, however comfortable ones seat is, there's always the possibility of some form of "pollution" from other passengers. Fortunately, eye masks can solve the iPad issue.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I'd be fully prepared to wear an eye mask to sleep and it's not an issue when the cabin lights are up, but it has the effect of a flickering light when they're watching a video and the cabin lights are dimmed.

I wish I'd snapped a photo for you. I had imagined the iPad would be just like a laptop, but it was very noticeable. One woman that asked to move was just reading a paperback, but found it too distracting flickering away near to her.

I'm sure you'll all experience it at some point in the near future! They seem to be selling like paperbacks!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Adds weight to the argument that on short overnights there should be a proper sleep zone. No food, no IFE, no overhead lighting. Just a few hours of blissful dark and quiet, away from the tourists eating and drinking everything in sight and making noise all night long. @:-)
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Adds weight to the argument that on short overnights there should be a proper sleep zone. No food, no IFE, no overhead lighting. Just a few hours of blissful dark and quiet, away from the tourists eating and drinking everything in sight and making noise all night long. @:-)
Good idea. Keep me away from the dreaded breakfast service. Why airlines insist that everybody should be woken up on flights from the East Coast of NA to eat breakfast at the equivalent of midnight has always puzzled me. I just want to sleep to the start of the descent. BA is actually pretty good in this regard, AC turns on all the cabin lights and wants to feed you 2 hours out from LHR.(Which is a shame because I find I sleep the best in their J seats)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.