Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account

Old May 28, 10, 4:38 am   #1

Programs: Ba Bronze, AMEX Plat, CX Gold, HH Gold
OT - Dixons Tax Free Price for iPad

Hi, I just called Dixons tax free at T5 to find the price for an Ipad, travelling in a couple of weeks and thought would see how price compares to US with the current FX not so great. I was quoted a price of 678 as compare to high street of 699, surly there must be more tax than 21. Is this Dixons hiking the profit at the tax free or is there that little tax on computer equipment.

I know it is still cheaper than high street, but still cheaper to buy in US so I will do that.

Mick
wombat185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 4:41 am   #2

Programs: LH FTL (*S), FB Silver, BA, bmi, Priority Pass, PC Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Amex Plat, Ryanair Plat
There's a discussion going on over in the DC forum.

iPad at Dixons Travel (BAA Worldpoints opportunity)

It seems they've jacked up the prices, which is a bit of a departure for Dixons. Usually Apple stuff is priced based on the genuine RRP.
mad_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 4:50 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens, BA G, *A G, FB G, ICH PA, Hertz PC, etc, etc
Don't forget US sales tax... Although my iPad was priced at $699 in CA you need to add about $77 in tax ($8 recycling & $68,15 sales tax). But hey, still a 150 pound difference!

I would advice to buy the Incase convertible book jacket (if you can find it, since they are almost always sold out) or the regular Apple iPad Case. Remember that accessories have an even higher price difference between US and EUR. Also buy the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit which will basically adds an USB port to your iPad.

The iPad is most useful in the 3G version. I would most certainly have preferred that one to the one without, especially since the WiFi reception of the iPad is horrendous.

Last edited by henkybaby; May 28, 10 at 4:58 am..
henkybaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 5:13 am   #4

Programs: Ba Bronze, AMEX Plat, CX Gold, HH Gold
Yes the camera connection is something I planned on buying. We are travelling around New England and I think Maine is the cheapest sales tax at 5%, should have planned to visit Oregon again no sales tax whatsoever, so is working out at $829 + 41.45 = $870.45, I should get at least 1.40 on my Nationwide card so still nearly 80 cheaper than High Street.

Wonder if Dixons will have to put something to note that they are not offering product at full tax free, sorry will go on other thread.

Mick
wombat185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 5:48 am   #5

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold,Orchid Silver,QF,BMI, Starwood,Hilton,Hyatt
Just a cautionary note; I was playing with one of these in the States recently and enquired whether they would be "region free", (I'd been sold a pup when I bought a Sony e-reader a year or so ago that wouldn't let me register it for on-line purchases as I wasn't a USA resident). The Apple store staff were unable to say one way or the other but an article in the Telegraph seemed to indicate that you would need a USA based account to purchase books.

So for now I've held off buying.

Would be interested to hear of any problems from someone who has bought overseas.
Spitfire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 5:50 am   #6

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, KLM Plat. Marriott Plat Prem, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Not sure if amazon.com are selling them yet, but they do sell stuff with no tax applied in the US.

Alternately a few states (Delaware is one IIRC), have no sales tax.
thegoderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 5:55 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold ,LH Sen, LY SIL, FB Pla, HH Gold, IC Amb, SPG Gold, Avis President club etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire1 View Post
Would be interested to hear of any problems from someone who has bought overseas.
No issue at all using a US bought iPad in the UK.
clubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 5:58 am   #8

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold,Orchid Silver,QF,BMI, Starwood,Hilton,Hyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
No issue at all using a US bought iPad in the UK.
Thanks for that, have you purchase books in the UK?
Spitfire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 6:09 am   #9

Programs: BA Gold
Bought an iPad a week or so ago in Cali, no problem snycing with my UK accounts etc. Not tried buying books though, its a great lil toy!
philm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 6:22 am   #10

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
The iPad is most useful in the 3G version. I would most certainly have preferred that one to the one without, especially since the WiFi reception of the iPad is horrendous.
Haven't found that to be the case (with a wifi only ipad). Is it something reported just by 3G+wifi ipad owners, or wifi only ipad owners as well?
Old May 28, 10, 6:32 am   #11

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Don't forget US sales tax... Although my iPad was priced at $699 in CA you need to add about $77 in tax ($8 recycling & $68,15 sales tax). But hey, still a 150 pound difference!

I would advice to buy the Incase convertible book jacket (if you can find it, since they are almost always sold out) or the regular Apple iPad Case. Remember that accessories have an even higher price difference between US and EUR. Also buy the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit which will basically adds an USB port to your iPad.

Actually the most expensive iPad 3G costs just $100 more in the UK than in the US once US sales taxes etc. are factored in. So not that much more expensive.
London Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 9:46 am   #12

Programs: BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickt View Post
We are travelling around New England and I think Maine is the cheapest sales tax at 5%
No sales tax in New Hampshire.
potfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 9:50 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens, BA G, *A G, FB G, ICH PA, Hertz PC, etc, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg66 View Post
Haven't found that to be the case (with a wifi only ipad). Is it something reported just by 3G+wifi ipad owners, or wifi only ipad owners as well?
WiFi Performance
The internet is plastered with complaints about the WiFi reception of the iPad. It does suck badly. I have the WiFi only. It continuously claimed to find no networks where my laptop found them with 3, 4 or even 5 bars. The iPad also drops its connection quite a lot and it is horribly slow. Not too surprising since the iPad runs on a mobile phone chip and is tuned to minimize power consumption. In your own network at home you can optimize it, but I am talking hotel & other public WiFi. It is almost useless in about 50% of all locations. Obviously it does not work in hotels where you need to set up your WiFi by using a cable. Luckily these are found less and less.

Buying books
You can buy books at Amazon with any credit card and the Kindle App is great. For the iBook store you need a US based credit card or use the work around using gift certificates and a separate US account with no payment method specified. The latter is handy for downloading US specific apps anyways.

Watching movies or TV shows
The iPad only plays Apple format. So it won't play AVI or MKV formats. The best option of the iPad is to download movies or TV shows but that only works in the US. I did not even get that to work with the workaround yet. It is easy to convert existing formats to .m4v using Handbrake (free) albeit very time consuming (takes 150% of the length of the video). Can be quicker or slower depending on your pc though. The quality of the video (and sound) playback is excellent!

Pictures
Pictures look 10x better on Apple and so do they on the iPad. Integration is best with Apple laptops or desktops. You can add more features (like linking a picture to a location) than you can using a PC.

Gadgets
Buy the previously mentioned Incase convertible book jacket or the Apple iPad Case. Also buy the camera connection kit since it will connect a lot more than only cameras.

Do NOT buy the stand. It is useless and does not support the iPad in landscape mode or when the iPad case is used. Also do not buy the video connection kit. It hardly ever works and playback to TV is often severely restricted.

Apps
The Kindle App is almost a reason to buy the iPad. You can use it instead of iBooks.
GoodReader is an excellent PDF reader. I use it for magazines, comics and work related documents.
I love the New York Times App. Free basic news every day.
Muzicc provides you with Internet Radio.
The Weather Channel Max+ is also great.
Bloomberg has a decent app.
FlightTrack Pro is obvious for us air travel nuts.
iBooks is good for reading all your books you might have in ePub format from other readers but you need to use the work around to download it.
Twitterific for Union Leaders.
Do NOT buy the Outlook Web Access App. It does not work and their support department simply does not reply to any form of communication.

When to buy?
Something tells me that the iPad will soon be upgraded with better WiFi so it might be better to wait another 6 months or so. Early adopters are always beta testers at Apple. It is how they roll...

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I have been playing with it for quite a while now....

Last edited by henkybaby; May 28, 10 at 10:14 am..
henkybaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 10:53 am   #14

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by potfish View Post
No sales tax in New Hampshire.

And assuming the OP is traveling into/out of BOS there are handy Apple stores just over the MA state line in Nashua(Rt 3) and Salem(I-93)
IHateLHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 10, 11:36 am   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: London, UK (Lord Mucci des Contes de Voyages, Diamond Hairbrush)
Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, IC Gold Ambassador
Greetings from my new iPad! I have the wifi only model and it is gorgeous. Web browsing is a dream.
Genius1 is offline   Reply With Quote