Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do I need a passport for an internal flight?

Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond

Do I actually need to bring my passport if say flying internally on BA from say Man-LHR (as with Easyjet)?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC, HH, PC
Originally Posted by xenole
Do I actually need to bring my passport if say flying internally on BA from say Man-LHR (as with Easyjet)?
You need photo ID, but it doesn't need to be a passport. A drivers licence will do just fine
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
MAN may be quite foreign to some people, but the last time I looked it was in the same country as LHR

However, your passport is the best possible photo ID available, and it doesn't weight a lot; mine lives in my travel wallet anyway, so it's always with me [along with the counter-part of my Drivers Licence].
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by BA_Blade
You need photo ID, but it doesn't need to be a passport. A drivers licence will do just fine
Interesting to know what you would do if you don't have either. For instance, would someone under 17 need to apply for a passport to fly from Manchester to London, or are there other approved photo i.d's?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:34 am

I've flown over 60 domestic sectors over the past 8months and NEVER been asked for ID. In addition, I've also NEVER been asked for ID for my children either.

So in theory the above quote might be correct, but in practice it is not.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC, HH, PC
Originally Posted by allenkeys
Interesting to know what you would do if you don't have either. For instance, would someone under 17 need to apply for a passport to fly from Manchester to London, or are there other approved photo i.d's?
Actually, after looking on the BA website I may be wrong about that....BA will accept non-photo ID if using OLCI or kiosk:

[snip]....a form of identification (e.g. credit/debit card, Executive Club card or passport).....
Last domestic flight I took (NCL - LHR) I checked in at the desk and showed my driving license but I guess I didn't have to...
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: EK Gold, SPG Plat, Radisson Gold, BA Silver HHonors Silver A Club, CSA Gold
Wouldnt it be a good idea in case the aircraft was diverted to a foreign airport in case UK airspace happened to be closed? Actually, has such a domestic flight ever diverted abroad?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I have never been asked for any form of ID when flying BA for a domestic flight. I just hand over the gold card and state my destination.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:48 am

Actually, after looking on the BA website I may be wrong about that....BA will accept non-photo ID if using OLCI or kiosk:
Indeed you are - BA are happy to accept non-photo ID, such as an Executive Club card.

You shouldn't have any trouble without photo ID, but you do get the occasional idiot staff member who doesn't know/follow the rules - but you can always easily escalate the issue if this does happen.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:32 pm

Absolutely, categorically, 100% no identification at all is required by British Airways for a UK Domestic flight if you booked and paid for the ticket yourself. You may, however, need to have the credit/debit card used to make the booking unless the prson paying for the ticked declared it as a "Third Party Booking."

I must admit, when accepting baggage, I do feel a bit safer when someone offers me a photo ID - it's a sort of comfort blanket - but I wouldn't pursue the point if a traveller didn't have one. In any event, the passenger's photo is taken at security and the image reconciled at the boarding gate so there is a safety net in place.

From the Conditions of Carriage on ba.com

We do not require to see a passport or photo identification if you are travelling on purely UK domestic flights* (i.e. with no onwards international flights).
If you are travelling on an e-ticket, you will need to have the credit/debit card originally used to pay for the booking. This is for identification purposes only and you will not be charged again.

*If your credit card has expired since payment was made, you have a new credit card or you do not have your original credit card you used for payment with you, you will not be able to use the Self-Service kiosks or check-in desks. Please go to the ticket desk at the airport. The ticket desk will be able to check your booking and enable it for check in.
You will be required to present an acceptable form of ID, as per the list below, if you do not have your original form of payment credit card with you at the airport.

*If the credit card holder is not travelling and you have an e-ticket bought by someone else, you will need to obtain the email itinerary receipt from the credit card holder, as it is required at check-in. You will need this document AND an acceptable form of identification at the airport.

Acceptable forms of identification are:

A valid Driving Licence.
Executive Club membership card.
Passport / National ID card.
Company works card / ID.

Please note: Children under the age of 16 years old do not require identification to travel within the UK.
Passports are not required for journeys to/from UK to Eire.

Last edited by bealine; Apr 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm
Old May 1, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Just out of interest....how many of you still have the old style (non-photo) drivers license?
Old May 1, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mwalsh
Just out of interest....how many of you still have the old style (non-photo) drivers license?
Me
Count = 1
Old May 1, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Fly to Man every week and have never shown ID, though I always use OLCI. However, having recently needed to get back landside (having left something at home), it's always a good idea to have photo ID on you and a passport is probably the most expected, least questioned document to have.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Or you could always get a new UK ID card (while you can) - much easier to carry than a passport.
Old May 1, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
The above replies don't seem to reflect the realities of modern Britain. The police are now empowered to stop you and demand "Ihre Papiere, mein Herr!!" at any moment. Just one example:
"Five Tory front bench MPs, including Chris Grayling, the shadow home secretary, were among travellers ordered to show their passports when they arrived at Prestwick Airport on Wednesday" - but then as the "domestic," flight was actually to Scotland, perhaps it was treated as international?
See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...passports.html

Last edited by Wexflyer; May 1, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.