Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do I need a passport for an internal flight?

Do I need a passport for an internal flight?

Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You were right - but she played her trump card ! The "because I can" trump card.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by mwalsh
Just out of interest....how many of you still have the old style (non-photo) drivers license?
Me.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by mwalsh
Just out of interest....how many of you still have the old style (non-photo) drivers license?
I have both.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I fly LHR - EDI regularly -

BA & BD = No photo ID
AF & U2 = Photo ID (and no exceptions)

So for max flexibility, its best to take it just in case! (However I never bother!)
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
A long time ago (1980 ish), when Cat III landings were not so common, a colleague took off from LHR one foggy night and as UK airspace closed all around the plane, ended up in Denmark for the night.

I haven't a clue how they dealt with passports and the like.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:13 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Me
Count = 1
+1

A friend of mine was pulled over by a cop for speeding in the US. When asked for his licence he pulled out his 'old' UK parchment. The cop just rolled his eyes and sent him on his way.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Ryanair are the worst (as in many other areas), they insist on a passport for domestic routes even though I can't see any logical or legal reason for doing so.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/...yanair-flights

"Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences, electoral/residence cards, family books, seaman books, military ID cards etc"
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Och aye, the bobby had every right to see their passports.........if they were English they were certainly foreigners.
Aye. Scotland is a different country.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Camflyer
Ryanair are the worst (as in many other areas), they insist on a passport for domestic routes even though I can't see any logical or legal reason for doing so.

"Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences, electoral/residence cards, family books, seaman books, military ID cards etc"
Agree. RYR seem a pain, so I avoid if at all possible. In 4 decades of Domestic air travel, I have never, not once been asked for photo ID in order to board (never used RYR internally though and I never check a bag). I did once get pulled over by a plain clothes guy at the gate when disembarking at LHR when returning from BFS a few years back. He did ask for ID. Went no further than that.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by thegoderic
A long time ago (1980 ish), when Cat III landings were not so common, a colleague took off from LHR one foggy night and as UK airspace closed all around the plane, ended up in Denmark for the night.

I haven't a clue how they dealt with passports and the like.
Where was the destination, do you remember and what about the alternates? Was PIK not an option (if UK internal)? Never heard of that place been closed by fog.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:08 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Camflyer

Originally Posted by Custardthecat
Agree. RYR seem a pain, so I avoid if at all possible. In 4 decades of Domestic air travel, I have never, not once been asked for photo ID in order to board (never used RYR internally though and I never check a bag). I did once get pulled over by a plain clothes guy at the gate when disembarking at LHR when returning from BFS a few years back. He did ask for ID. Went no further than that.
Ryanair's policy is one of pure revenue protection. It ensures that the person booked to travel is the one travelling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.