Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do I need a passport for an internal flight?

Do I need a passport for an internal flight?

Old May 1, 2010, 8:42 pm

As Bealine says you do not need to present any photo ID, however your picture will be taken by BAA as you go through to airside. This will then be matched up at the gate as you board.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
The above replies don't seem to reflect the realities of modern Britain. The police are now empowered to stop you and demand "Ihre Papiere, mein Herr!!" at any moment. Just one example:
"Five Tory front bench MPs, including Chris Grayling, the shadow home secretary, were among travellers ordered to show their passports when they arrived at Prestwick Airport on Wednesday" - but then as the "domestic," flight was actually to Scotland, perhaps it was treated as international?
See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...passports.html
Och aye, the bobby had every right to see their passports.........if they were English they were certainly foreigners.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:53 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Och aye, the bobby had every right to see their passports.........if they were English they were certainly foreigners.
Precisely. Maybe the Mods can modify the thread title to say "internal English flights....."
Old May 2, 2010, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The above replies don't seem to reflect the realities of modern Britain. The police are now empowered to stop you and demand "Ihre Papiere, mein Herr!!" at any moment. Just one example:
"Five Tory front bench MPs, including Chris Grayling, the shadow home secretary, were among travellers ordered to show their passports when they arrived at Prestwick Airport on Wednesday" - but then as the "domestic," flight was actually to Scotland, perhaps it was treated as international?
See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...passports.html
Where did you get that from? They can stop and search you but you are under no obligation to show any form of id and there is no requirement to carry id.
Old May 2, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Flew from ABZ-LCY a few weeks ago. Upon request of photo ID, I produced my British Library readership card (it's all I had). I was expecting at least a smile from the agent but alas, none.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Where did you get that from? They can stop and search you but you are under no obligation to show any form of id and there is no requirement to carry id.
Indeed. And you are not required to give your name nor your address.
Old May 2, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: BD-G(RIP); BA-bronze
What I find interesting is the "Common Travel Area" - i.e. UK & ROI.

As a British Citizen I am entitled to travel to the ROI without a passport, but how do I prove I am a British Citizen without my passport? I had this discussion with the Gardai at Dublin who said "but you've arrived on FR - you need a passport for their terms of carriage" - fair enough. At Gatwick they were happy to see my boarding pass ex DUB to let me into the domestic arrivals channel - when I could have been a citizen of any country!
Old May 2, 2010, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Quite rightly I've never been asked for ID on a domestic flight if I had only hand luggage. I am often asked for some sort of ID if I'm checking luggage in for domestic, but anything seems to do: even a BAEC card (of any colour) Occasionally I am asked for ID at the gate though, as well as my BP, but I don't know why.
Old May 2, 2010, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by bealine
Absolutely, categorically, 100% no identification at all is required by British Airways for a UK Domestic flight if you booked and paid for the ticket yourself. You may, however, need to have the credit/debit card used to make the booking unless the prson paying for the ticked declared it as a "Third Party Booking."

I must admit, when accepting baggage, I do feel a bit safer when someone offers me a photo ID - it's a sort of comfort blanket - but I wouldn't pursue the point if a traveller didn't have one. In any event, the passenger's photo is taken at security and the image reconciled at the boarding gate so there is a safety net in place.

From the Conditions of Carriage on ba.com

We do not require to see a passport or photo identification if you are travelling on purely UK domestic flights* (i.e. with no onwards international flights).
If you are travelling on an e-ticket, you will need to have the credit/debit card originally used to pay for the booking. This is for identification purposes only and you will not be charged again.

*If your credit card has expired since payment was made, you have a new credit card or you do not have your original credit card you used for payment with you, you will not be able to use the Self-Service kiosks or check-in desks. Please go to the ticket desk at the airport. The ticket desk will be able to check your booking and enable it for check in.
You will be required to present an acceptable form of ID, as per the list below, if you do not have your original form of payment credit card with you at the airport.

*If the credit card holder is not travelling and you have an e-ticket bought by someone else, you will need to obtain the email itinerary receipt from the credit card holder, as it is required at check-in. You will need this document AND an acceptable form of identification at the airport.

Acceptable forms of identification are:

A valid Driving Licence.
Executive Club membership card.
Passport / National ID card.
Company works card / ID.

Please note: Children under the age of 16 years old do not require identification to travel within the UK.
Passports are not required for journeys to/from UK to Eire.
IMHO, this is not strictly true. My understanding - maybe others can clarify - is that the CTA provisions apply only to UK/ROI citizens - as per rareair's post above.

As a British citizen I have entered the ROI on my driving licence - it went something like this:

Me: <shows driving licence>
Officer: Are you a British Citizen?
Me: Yes
Officer: Were you born in the United Kingdom?
Me: Yes
Officer: Thank you.
Me: <proceeds>

HOWEVER, my understanding that all other non UK/ROI nationals are subject to full immigration controls in ROI - even arriving from the UK. For example, Mrs SCB is a non-EU national and gets the full immigration treatment arriving from the UK into DUB - Irish immigration stamps and the works.

So - wouldn't BA be at risk of carrier fines for potentially carrying an non UK/ROI national into Eire without a passport (or National ID card for other EU citizens)?
Old May 2, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
If you read the article I linked to, you will find:
"police forces in Scotland confirmed officers do carry out checks on a regular basis. Officers can ask someone to prove their identity and that can include showing a passport. Strathclyde Police, which covers Prestwick and Glasgow airports, said the power was under the Terrorism Act 2000."
Old May 2, 2010, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If you read the article I linked to, you will find:
"police forces in Scotland confirmed officers do carry out checks on a regular basis. Officers can ask someone to prove their identity and that can include showing a passport. Strathclyde Police, which covers Prestwick and Glasgow airports, said the power was under the Terrorism Act 2000."
They can ask someone to ascertain their identity under the act (as I understand it) - but I am under no obligation to carry any form of id with me to prove who I am to the police - if I happen to have my passport/driving licence with me as a form of id I would show it to them but I am not aware of a law that requires me to carry it on the off chance they think I am a terrorist. Happy to be proved wrong.
Old May 2, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Skywards, Priority Club
They can ask someone to ascertain their identity under the act (as I understand it) - but I am under no obligation to carry any form of id with me to prove who I am to the police - if I happen to have my passport/driving licence with me as a form of id I would show it to them but I am not aware of a law that requires me to carry it on the off chance they think I am a terrorist. Happy to be proved wrong.
The trouble is, the various pieces of legislation effectively throw the onus on to you. Whereas historically you could argue that since you've done nothing that could cause them to take the slightest interest in you, so sod off - now you're likely to be detained at their whim until they can satisfy themselves as to who you are. Therefore people often carry ID for the sake of an easy life. It's creeping mandatory ID system really.

Of course, the current government's ID card scheme is of a different order altogether - the card is not the issue, the database is.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: not a lot
Arriving at bag drop with my PYOBP in hand I put my bag on the belt and was ordered to hand over 'photo id'.

I queried this and said are you sure I need photo ID and apparently all flight to Edinburgh where you put a bag in the hold need photo ID.. Luckily I had my driving license with me and couldn't really be bothered to make a deal of it. The way her face stayed permenantly still during my protestations was a remarkable feat in itself.

Who was right, me or the bag drop bag?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LiviLion

What do you think ?!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:43 am

Arriving at bag drop with my PYOBP in hand I put my bag on the belt and was ordered to hand over 'photo id'.

I queried this and said are you sure I need photo ID and apparently all flight to Edinburgh where you put a bag in the hold need photo ID.. Luckily I had my driving license with me and couldn't really be bothered to make a deal of it. The way her face stayed permenantly still during my protestations was a remarkable feat in itself.

If traveling only domestic then you do not need ID. Minor exceptions if you are not the card holder or your card has expired.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults

Originally Posted by BA website
We do not require to see a passport or photo identification if you are travelling on purely UK domestic flights* (i.e. with no onwards international flights).
If you are travelling on an e-ticket, you will need to have the credit/debit card originally used to pay for the booking. This is for identification purposes only and you will not be charged again.

*If your credit card has expired since payment was made, you have a new credit card or you do not have your original credit card you used for payment with you, you will not be able to use the Self-Service kiosks or check-in desks. Please go to the ticket desk at the airport. The ticket desk will be able to check your booking and enable it for check in.
You will be required to present an acceptable form of ID, as per the list below, if you do not have your original form of payment credit card with you at the airport.

*If the credit card holder is not travelling and you have an e-ticket bought by someone else, you will need to obtain the email itinerary receipt from the credit card holder, as it is required at check-in. You will need this document AND an acceptable form of identification at the airport.

Acceptable forms of identification are:

A valid Driving Licence.
Executive Club membership card.
Passport / National ID card.
Company works card / ID.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
At City airport, I was asked for ID, so I handed over my BA Gold card and there were no further questions. Same with the other half.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.