Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best jobs for travelling the world - To get BAEC Gold -

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best jobs for travelling the world - To get BAEC Gold -

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I suspect a good choice, if you only want to fly a lot, would be something like a gas turbine mechanic.

Gas turbine at some offshore oil/gas facility goes fubar, they need someone to fix it. There are only so many gas turbine manufacturers in the world so travel is always involved and you are expected to fix it as soon as you arrive, so jet lag following a 15 hour flight would not be cost effective for the client.

(obvs this if for the four year old original question, not today's accounting question)
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
My advice, get a job that dosn't entail travelling, enjoy life and travel when it suits you as part of enjoying life.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by dera
No, but I rather cry in CCR than Wetherspoon!
^^^^^^
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: ABBA
Get a job that isn't in accounting, banking, or one of those other valueless fields. Become a doctor for MSF, play the piano in concert halls around the world, learn to dig for oil, become an engineer for a 787. Do a job with an end result, not one that invovles pushing imaginary numbers from one spreadsheet to another.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Elite assassin. Pays well too.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Get a job that isn't in accounting, banking, or one of those other valueless fields. Become a doctor for MSF, play the piano in concert halls around the world, learn to dig for oil, become an engineer for a 787. Do a job with an end result, not one that invovles pushing imaginary numbers from one spreadsheet to another.
It's funny you should say that.....my first degree was in aircraft engineering however when I qualified all the airlines were cutting back.

Wanting to do something which helped others I sent back to uni and did a degree I'm Biomedical engineering. I gained a 1st class honours and got my final dissertation published.....again on qualification In 2010 there was a recession....I was working for free I'm hospitals to keeps experience up but you can survive like that.

In the end I fell into accounting.....which isn't a bad career at all. The value and auditor adds is the comfort for stakeholders in the signed audited accounts.

I can also lay claim to having found several incidences of fraud in my clients....I am pretty sure they saw the value in that too.

So overall whilst probably not considered the most value adding, life saving career I would say still a decent career.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
My advice, get a job that dosn't entail travelling, enjoy life and travel when it suits you as part of enjoying life.
This.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:02 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
+2

Plenty of jobs will offer the chance to attain gold, but it may not be the panacea that it initially appears - mandatory long haul economy, lost sleep, extended and frequent stays away from home. It's not all it's cracked up to be and I'm happy to now be doing my travel on my terms, and my terms alone.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:03 am

Sorry for being late to the RBP party. It is customary on FT to not re-start threads that are over 2 years old. Please feel free to start a new thread on this topic, although it would be great if it could remain fairly on-topic. That would be grand

Thanks for understanding.
Petrus,
Moderator BAEC forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.