Membership year extension?

Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Membership year extension?

Hi, i'm 150 points short of retaining my BA Gold status for another year but my next planned longhaul trip won't be until after my current membership year expires. Does anyone know if it's possible to get an extension on the membership year or if BA offer any leeway on this? Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:43 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flying Divot
Hi, i'm 150 points short of retaining my BA Gold status for another year but my next planned longhaul trip won't be until after my current membership year expires. Does anyone know if it's possible to get an extension on the membership year or if BA offer any leeway on this? Thanks!
If you ask nicely you could get a week or two more.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Welcome to FT Flying Divot!! How long after "the end" of the membership year are you taking your flights?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks T5 - i'll be flying just over a month after the current membership year ends.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Starwood Gold
20 years ago I was 5 points short of retaining my silver card but with some sweet talking BA agreed to renew my status only because I was flying 'J' to Cairo the very next day after my card expired. It may be worth a try but with more than a month after your card expires..........I don't know. It may depend on your history with BA, if you have only had status for one year then it may be a problem, if you have long time status then that may make the difference.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
A few years ago I was unable to take my final qualifying flight due to hospitalisation. When I spoke to the EC they were able to extend the period by a couple of weeks but only because I was physically unable to take the trip before the required date, and also as I could provide evidence to prove that.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Lots of BA Gold members have been allowed to retain their Gold status recently even though they have been well short of the required amount of tier points. You'll have no problem getting a extension especially if you have a flight booked.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Lots of BA Gold members have been allowed to retain their Gold status recently even though they have been well short of the required amount of tier points. You'll have no problem getting a extension especially if you have a flight booked.
Is this a policy or does it depend who you talk to?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I've been told that the usual extension is 7 days. I think it very much depends on who you talk to however, and as a Gold member at the moment I have little doubt that they will extend your membership year to cover your retention.

The helpful chap I got through to was brilliant, and gave me the tier points and miles that I would have got on my cancelled volcano ash booking! Now just waiting for those TPs/miles to post... ^
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, i've been Gold for a few years now so fingers-crossed they'll treat my request sympathetically. Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Hi again folks, just a quick follow-up to my earlier post: -

I spoke to BA today and they advised me that they treat each case on it's individual merits depending on past history, spend, etc.

An extension of a couple of weeks would not be unusual, however they may also agree to extend membership by another year (even without sufficient points) if the customer has a good record.

Any decisions are made after the expiration of the current year, therefore the guy advised me to phone back the day after my membership year ends.

Cheers and good flying!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:06 am

Smile Possible good news

According to this thread, BA are being more lenient about status renewals at present due to the knock-on effects of the strikes and the volcano - you may get lucky!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1077967-exec-status-downgrade-may.html

Links through to this BA page:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...lyerprogrammes
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Nice one Stu, fingers-crossed this is accurate! Thanks for the link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.