Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
I've just successfully applied for the Gold Card.

I already have a BA Amex Prem card.
I presume I can use this new Gold Card to load my Paypal card?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yes, no reason why not
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: BA silver
Thanks for this thread. I know have been approved for the card. Will get OH to apply as well
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks Raffles and Roger. Applied and accepted straightaway via Topcashback. ^

In my application I did not take/ask for another card in my wifes name. If she makes her own separate appplication does this ever have any negative impact on our address or is it likely to affect their decision so we can get another 20,000 miles into our HHA.

She does have a very good/excellent credit rating.

Thanks

Pete
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:23 pm

I'm hoping that there is someone out there who is bored/patient enough to answer what may seem rather ridiculous questions. I'm lucky enough to only pay my my one and only credit card (Visa) by direct debit so I have no desire or need to have another card. However, this seems like too good an offer to pass by. So:

* I pay £95 to get this Amex Gold Card. Yes? Am I then able to arrange to pay the monthly balance by direct debit, therefore avoiding any charges?

* What is Quidco? And how do I arrange the £65 "cashback"?

* If I stop using the card once I have the 20,000 miles, will I continue to get charged even if I don't use the card?

* How do I transfer the 20,000 miles from Amex to BA miles?

I know some (all?) of the above may seem obvious to many, but grateful if someone could humour me.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon

* I pay £95 to get this Amex Gold Card. Yes? Am I then able to arrange to pay the monthly balance by direct debit, therefore avoiding any charges?

* If I stop using the card once I have the 20,000 miles, will I continue to get charged even if I don't use the card?

Yes, you can pay by direct debit. The Gold Card is a charge card, not a credit card, so you must pay off the full balance each month.

Yes, if you stop using the card you will continue to pay an annual fee until you cancel the card.

The card is linked to the Amex Membership Rewards program. The sign up offer is 20,000 Membership Reward points, which you can transfer 1:1 for BA Miles on the Amex web site.

Can't help you with Quidco, sorry. Never used that.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'm hoping that there is someone out there who is bored/patient enough to answer what may seem rather ridiculous questions. I'm lucky enough to only pay my my one and only credit card (Visa) by direct debit so I have no desire or need to have another card. However, this seems like too good an offer to pass by. So:

* What is Quidco? And how do I arrange the £65 "cashback"?

I know some (all?) of the above may seem obvious to many, but grateful if someone could humour me.
i just applied through quidco
you have to go to the quidco site and look for the offer
i got the message saying that they will review my application
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by adl73x
Yes, you can pay by direct debit. The Gold Card is a charge card, not a credit card, so you must pay off the full balance each month.

Yes, if you stop using the card you will continue to pay an annual fee until you cancel the card.

The card is linked to the Amex Membership Rewards program. The sign up offer is 20,000 Membership Reward points, which you can transfer 1:1 for BA Miles on the Amex web site.

Can't help you with Quidco, sorry. Never used that.
Thank you. Hopefully someone else will comment on Quidco.

Am I right in thinking that as a charge card the only fee is the annual fee; unless of course one fails to pay the balance each month?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Here's Quidco: http://www.quidco.com

You need to register there, then apply for the Amex card using the link on the Quidco page, and it should (after a while) credit your Quidco account with £65. Same principle as the BA estore.

There is a membership fee, £5 I think, so if this is your first Quidco transaction you would actually get £60
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Am I right in thinking that as a charge card the only fee is the annual fee; unless of course one fails to pay the balance each month?
Yes, that is the only annual fee for a single card. When you apply you are offered a supplementary card for a family member. Amex charges GBP 35 per year for the supplementary card if you opt for that.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA + BMI
Originally Posted by hingethunder
There is a membership fee, £5 I think, so if this is your first Quidco transaction you would actually get £60
The Quidco cashback on offer is £60, the OP would get £55 after deduction of the £5 Quidco membership fee, if that's their first use of Quidco.

My wife has just applied and been instantly approved for the card. She has a supp. card on my BA PP card, and has a BMI Amex. She answered "No" to the other cards question - correctly I believe, since the supp card is really my account, and the BMI card is issued by MBNA not Amex.

She also had to say she lived at her present address for less than 3 years. She had to give her previous address and confirm how long she lived there (1 year 1 month in this case) but they don't ask how long you have been at your current address! This might interest Raffles.

Hasn't tracked on Quidco yet.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by onionz
The Quidco cashback on offer is £60, the OP would get £55 after deduction of the £5 Quidco membership fee, if that's their first use of Quidco.

My wife has just applied and been instantly approved for the card. She has a supp. card on my BA PP card, and has a BMI Amex. She answered "No" to the other cards question - correctly I believe, since the supp card is really my account, and the BMI card is issued by MBNA not Amex.

She also had to say she lived at her present address for less than 3 years. She had to give her previous address and confirm how long she lived there (1 year 1 month in this case) but they don't ask how long you have been at your current address! This might interest Raffles.

Hasn't tracked on Quidco yet.

I am not sure if i managed this correctly through quidco - you may have to validate your quidco account and clear cookies before applying through the quidco site

Last edited by ruthiepegs; Apr 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm Reason: word missing!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hingethunder
Here's Quidco: http://www.quidco.com

You need to register there, then apply for the Amex card using the link on the Quidco page, and it should (after a while) credit your Quidco account with £65. Same principle as the BA estore.

Topcashback (http://www.topcashback.co.uk) don't charge an annual fee so if you don't already have an account with Quidco, better value applying via Topcashback which also pays £60.

There's always the risk with both sites that the transaction fails to track, so worth bearing in mind that you may end up paying the full £95 fee rather than the net £35 after cashback.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm familiar with charge cards, however I've never had one and was wondering if they are subject to a spend limit like a credit card?

If they do, I wonder if I end up cancelling this Gold card I can transfer the limit onto my existing BA Amex.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by weirdfish
I'm familiar with charge cards, however I've never had one and was wondering if they are subject to a spend limit like a credit card?

If they do, I wonder if I end up cancelling this Gold card I can transfer the limit onto my existing BA Amex.
There is a spend limit, but (at least with Amex Plat) they don't tell you what it is. Seriously. Your card will simply be rejected if you spend more than Amex thinks, on that day, you can afford.

You cannot shift limit from your BA Amex because they are based on 2 different criteria. Your Amex Gold will be based entirely on what they think you can repay from your monthly salary, since it is a charge card. If you earn £20k, which is about £14k after tax, your card will therefore be limited to about £500 (at a guess) since that is what Amex reckons you could clear each month after mortgage / bills etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.