BA First Suite Inaugural Review

Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Originally Posted by continentalclub
Sorry, AndyFlyer, another question:

As you flew out daytime and back overnight, who controlled the new internal window blinds on each flight?

I assume that you have your own control for your blind, but were you encouraged to raise/lower the blind on crew instruction (as normally happens) at relevant junctures, or was there some kind of centrally-controlled 'curtain call'?

Oh, and please don't tell me to 'pull myself together' .
You do have control over your blind, but the crew also have a master control for all of them. When boarding at night, the blinds were down (and illuminated with a blue hue) making for a really cool looking cabin.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Thank you for the comprehensive review.

Specifically per your statement "work and eat at the same time", would one be able to have a laptop open (playing DVDs) while the meal service is in progress?

Also, what type of power plug/receptacle is used - US-style, UK mains, or Empower?
Yes, you can easily eat with your laptop open and have space on the side for your drinks so you don't block your screen. The plugs are both US and UK.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seated in First
Thanks for the review! ^

I've a decent amount of transatlantic BA F travel coming up so hope to try out the new seat soon. Knowing my luck I'll go for months without a sniff of it though!

How did you manage to go out and back on the aircraft with new F? As far as I know all aircraft going to the US come back the same day, it sounds like yours did a nightstop, unless you went to ORD and came back the same night!

I flew to/from ORD...the first four segments operated with new First were to ORD, then I've read on here that subsequent flights were to SEA and JFK. The crew only knew an hour before that they were to be on the inaugural First flight...it was luck of the draw on the day, I believe. I have not heard any further where the a/c is heading (according to the captain, it is a long-range 777 capable of Shanghai, for example). The registration number is G-VIIU, perhaps you could track it on-line somehow.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Seated in First
Thanks for the review! ^

I've a decent amount of transatlantic BA F travel coming up so hope to try out the new seat soon. Knowing my luck I'll go for months without a sniff of it though!

How did you manage to go out and back on the aircraft with new F? As far as I know all aircraft going to the US come back the same day, it sounds like yours did a nightstop, unless you went to ORD and came back the same night!
Nah I lmow of at least one flight that overnights, the BOS flight BA239 daily that overnights and becomes BA238 leaving at 8:15am
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
I have to say, im disappointed they havent redone the toilets, theyre too small and a bit grotty IMO. But then, appreciate this would require an entire redesign to accomodate a large toilet.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
You do have control over your blind, but the crew also have a master control for all of them. When boarding at night, the blinds were down (and illuminated with a blue hue) making for a really cool looking cabin.
Sounds awful. I like to see out, especially when on the ground - so I can see what's going on - and most especially when in the nose of a 747 and you really have a good view both left and right. What's the point of having the blinds closed before take-off?

I'm not clear from your description who has ultimate control. If the crew lower all the blinds, can you then open your own? I try to be considerate of other passengers, by for example only having one blind open if other pax are sleeping or watching the gogglebox, but I do like my light and my view.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Great review Andy, but why no geeky pictures!?

What was it like for looking out the windows/ Do these new internal blinds reduce the view from your seat if looking outside? I always loved the feeling of openess in F on the 747 so hope it doesn't lose that feel.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:52 pm

I assume that the blinds would be down during boarding to give the backlighting the maximum effect, no? I also assume that, as normal, they'd have to be raised for taxiing, take-off and landing.

I have to say, though, that I find it quite difficult enough to sleep in a projectile, pressurised metal tube attached to multiple furnaces roaring at 5,000rpm plus, without sudden foot-wide shafts of light bathing me in pools of high-altitude glare.

Frankly, if you intend travelling in a cabin that's clearly designed for sleeping and is valued by others for that purpose, but you still insist on attending to the view, my first thought would be to suggest that you get a cabin of your own.

On a boat.

Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I assume that the blinds would be down during boarding to give the backlighting the maximum effect, no? I also assume that, as normal, they'd have to be raised for taxiing, take-off and landing.

I have to say, though, that I find it quite difficult enough to sleep in a projectile, pressurised metal tube attached to multiple furnaces roaring at 5,000rpm plus, without sudden foot-wide shafts of light bathing me in pools of high-altitude glare.

Frankly, if you intend travelling in a cabin that's clearly designed for sleeping and is valued by others for that purpose, but you still insist on attending to the view, my first thought would be to suggest that you get a cabin of your own.

On a boat.

You're a bit narky tonight cc?

Now you're not going to get away with those comments much as I respect your opinions.
No...during daylight hours aircraft windows are for looking out of and not to be masked for sleeping. If you wish to sleep your life away wear the flippin' eyeshades.....that's what they're there for.
I have to say I'm a tad worried about these blinds you know. I wonder how much space they use up on what is already a congested F cabin. They may look okay in a 777 but in a 747 cabin I have my doubts. They might make it a bit claustrophobic I feel.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aerotec
Great review Andy, but why no geeky pictures!?

What was it like for looking out the windows/ Do these new internal blinds reduce the view from your seat if looking outside? I always loved the feeling of openess in F on the 747 so hope it doesn't lose that feel.
I do have pictures, but can't seem to post them here...let me work on that for you.

No, the blinds do not reduce the view. You have total control over them, but as CC says, for boarding, the blinds were down to maximize the effect of the new lighting, which was impressive. You can certainly open the blinds should you wish at any time. The crew do have a master switch should they need to use it (they probably did before boarding to set the tone). On my outbound flight to ORD, I kept my blinds open half-way, as I love looking out and enjoying the daylight (it does help re-set the body clock a bit, not to mention after weeks of dull, grey London skies it was a joy to see blue skies and sunshine!). In the past, I've had issues with glare from lights or windows on the video screen. I'm happy to report that this seems to be resolved with the new lighting and the window blinds, along with the positioning of the screen. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.

On a boat.

Ah excellent. The annual "shades up or shades down" debate.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
NF on the Concorde Room terrace

New First cabin Mockup

... but wasn't on my flight today... just good old OF

It's a fully-working model by the way, and the seat controls worked. It just didn't go anywhere and stayed on the ground in London for hours. There was no service either. Should I seek compensation?

Last edited by HighLife; Feb 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Ah excellent. The annual "shades up or shades down" debate.

And I'm with Hiddy on this one. If there's direct sunlight coming from my window into someone else's eyes then I'm quite prepared to adjust the shade appropriately. But the views during daylight from a plane can be magnificent - and many like the natural light for reading/working.

I've never had any problem getting as much sleep as I need on a plane - which on a daytime flight is usually just a couple of hours kip - and I've not once asked anyone else to lower their blinds. That's why we all have our own. If I close mine it's enough to make the area around my seat fairly dim (the exception perhaps being row 1 or 2 of a 747) and then I can use eyeshades if necessary - not to mention zopiclone+xanax+valium.

Glad to hear the blinds are under the control of the pax ^.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by HighLife
New First cabin Mockup

... but wasn't on my flight today... just good old OF

It's a fully-working model by the way, and the seat controls worked. It just didn't go anywhere and stayed on the ground in London for hours. There was no service either. Should I seek compensation?
Brilliant, thanks very much for those.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Shades will be up for boarding and left for the passenger to decide the position they prefer, they can be up or down for takeoff and landing. I think the only time the crew would use the master switch would be to bring the shades down if the sun comes up and the passenger is asleep and the light is disturbing other passengers. It is also easy for the crew to reach the blind control at each seat. Each seat has a manual backup control.
CIHY

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.