BA First Suite Inaugural Review

Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: United 1K
Very nice review - can't wait to see it for myself.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
So a new cabin but no improvements noted to ground handling. A missed opportunity v. the competition, IMO.
In view of a) the physical restrictions of LHR and b) the sheer numbers of F PAX there isn't very much that BA can do.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:42 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by OPebble
b) the sheer numbers of F PAX there isn't very much that BA can do.
Do LH or SQ carry less F pax from FRA or SIN than BA do from LHR?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AJLondon
While SIN and FRA apparently had more space for customized F check-in solutions, I do think the F check-in/security experience at T5, and bussing to remote stands could be better. For whatever reason there wasn't direct security access to CCR from check-in, it was a lost opportunity. From a long-range planning perspective of a new terminal that will have a 25+ year life I think it would have been a reasonable assumption that the security process is only going to get more intensive. That alone would be a reason to make sure F pax had a dedicated way through security. It would also be nice if there was a dedicated F bus gate below CCR.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
I'd like to say that I have better things to do with my time on a Saturday evening, but since that's clearly not the case, I think the answer is yes.

A quick bit of summery says that across SQ's F-carrying fleet of 744, 773 and 380, the absolute maximum number of seats they could have is 548, but I'm over-erring there because I'm not sure what the split between their three types of 773 is. They have some with 18 seats and some with 8. They have 19 in total on the fleet, so if you say it's 18 with 18 seats and 1 with 8, then you get the 548. JetQuay will, of course, bleed off some of those seats from the main terminal throughput.

Lufthansa operates F on 330, 343, 346 and 744. Again, I'm not sure of the splits - only one of two 346 versions carries F; two of three 343s. Again, erring on the side of caution and assuming that they only have one non-F 346 and one non-F 343, that gives a maximum possible number of seats of 952. Remember though that they're split between FRA and MUC.

British Airways, meanwhile, has 700 F seats on its 744s alone, all of which operate from Heathrow. The 777 fleet adds, I believe, 303 F seats, which gives a gross total of 1003. Some are indeed at Gatwick, or downroute on their way to and from SYD, but I don't think it's as great a proportion of the total than LH have at Munich of their combined fleet.

Now, of course, different airlines have different sector lengths and therefore the number of flights per day will vary but, broadly, it would seem sensible to suggest that BA's LHR F passenger count, or at least passenger-mile count, is probably double SQ's total and significantly higher than LH's at FRA.

However, I am one passenger and I can choose where all of my money goes, so whilst the above figures may suggest that BA has a bigger logistical task on its hands to process F passengers, that doesn't necessarily matter to me.

If I'm London-based (or terminating) then I may value direct service over a FRA connection, and SQ only have service to one BA directly-served destination, plus SYD if you consider a stop as tawdry as a connection. Taken together, and if there's little enough SIN/SYD traffic and enough London-direct demand traffic, then they BA don't need to worry too greatly about what LH and SQ are up to.

If, however, they have one eye on business that originates or terminates in the UK regions and which necessitates a stop which might just as (if not more) easily be at AMS, FRA, ZRH etc., or an eye on what Star may do at Heathrow, what open skies (the treaty, not the airline) may develop into and how many VS passengers they'd like to attract, then all of a sudden the prospect of a *A FCT at LHR could jolt BA from any complacency which might currently permeate the product departments (ground services division).

Personally, I can live with not having the direct route from F check-in to the CCR, but only if the wretched South Security is ripped out and replaced with tried-and-tested technology. And I can cope without a direct link from the CCR to the aircraft; I can even cope with being bussed to the outbound aircraft, but if I must be bussed inbound then it must be on a premium bus which leaves the aircraft the moment the last F passenger disembarks.

Neither of those two things would seem to me to be overly expensive; the persistence of the security trays smacks to me of BAA pig-headedness (or, more likely, a senior bod trying to cover his/her backside for a clearly farcical decision) - the buses, well, I just can't explain why anyone at British Airways thinks that the current set-up is in any way acceptable, even on an exceptional basis.

Heretical as it might seem, what I'd also like (if it's the only way to make it pay) is a JetQuay at T5 with absolutely anything any passenger would like, subject to nothing more than their own credit limit.

PS: I still love the new seat
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Originally Posted by continentalclub
Super to read a first-hand report of the new product AndyFlyer and thanks for taking the time to write it.

I'm green with envy, naturally, and I look forward to trying the new cabin out for myself enormously.

A question for you though: did you manage to overhear (m)any other passengers' reactions to the new cabin and, if so, were you able to ascertain whether they were they BA F aficionados, or new to BA F altogether? I'd be fascinated to know what they were saying, too!
We were seven passengers on my outbound sector, and ten on the return. Everyone was pleasantly surprised to have the new F cabin...we were advised at the gate before boarding that we were the first to try this product out, so all passengers had a bit of excited anticipation upon boarding.
On my return sector ORD-LHR, the passenger in 1A across the aisle from me was clearly delighted with something new. The gentleman behind me, upon landing at LHR, told the cabin crew it was one of the best night's sleep he'd had on a plane in years (he was rather tall - 6'5, I would say), so clearly the extra room and seat comfort made the journey superb for him. Overall, customers seemed very happy, and of course there was great enthusiasm from the crews in both directions, which helped.
I am sure a few tweaks will be needed to ensure everything works well (it seemed to be just fine on my flights). The crew said there was an engineer on the flight, but I think that is true in many cases when new seating is deployed. He never came into the cabin to tinker with anything.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Thanks. I'm ready for this! I wonder if we'll ever get it out of GIG
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
...the passenger in 1A across the aisle from me was clearly delighted with something new. The gentleman behind me, upon landing at LHR, told the cabin crew it was one of the best night's sleep he'd had on a plane in years (he was rather tall - 6'5, I would say), so clearly the extra room and seat comfort made the journey superb for him. Overall, customers seemed very happy, and of course there was great enthusiasm from the crews in both directions, which helped.
That's good to read!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Thanks. I'm ready for this! I wonder if we'll ever get it out of GIG
At the moment, GIG is operated with a 3 class 777, so I'm afraid not.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
So a new cabin but no improvements noted to ground handling. A missed opportunity v. the competition, IMO.
So as we all know they can't have a separate terminal at LHR for F pax and (it is believed that BAA didn't want) a separate security line at T5, where else could they have done something? Well I've yet to be bussed but that will suck if I am a doing that on my first F. I don't think I ever heard if the Black Cab for F&J pax trial was a success or not but I would have thought that was an area still being looked at. The main problem as has been said is the sheer numbers of pax.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:57 pm

Sorry, AndyFlyer, another question:

As you flew out daytime and back overnight, who controlled the new internal window blinds on each flight?

I assume that you have your own control for your blind, but were you encouraged to raise/lower the blind on crew instruction (as normally happens) at relevant junctures, or was there some kind of centrally-controlled 'curtain call'?

Oh, and please don't tell me to 'pull myself together' .
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Thanks for the review! ^

I've a decent amount of transatlantic BA F travel coming up so hope to try out the new seat soon. Knowing my luck I'll go for months without a sniff of it though!

How did you manage to go out and back on the aircraft with new F? As far as I know all aircraft going to the US come back the same day, it sounds like yours did a nightstop, unless you went to ORD and came back the same night!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Thank you for the comprehensive review.

Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
There is ample room to work, with a table that folds out with a blue leather writing pad (which also nicely secures a laptop and keeps it from sliding whilst typing), and then the table opens up for eating (or working) to double in size. It is very sturdy, and more than ample to work and eat at the same time, plus there is a side table for additional space. Three lights - a small shaded lamp, a focus ceiling light and a wider wash light provide additional personal lighting for working or eating. They did not affect the quality of the video screen at all.
Specifically per your statement "work and eat at the same time", would one be able to have a laptop open (playing DVDs) while the meal service is in progress?

Also, what type of power plug/receptacle is used - US-style, UK mains, or Empower?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by ian001
At the moment, GIG is operated with a 3 class 777, so I'm afraid not.
Indeed it is. Don't go giving BA ideas. As someone who always travels to Brazil in Club with the plebs, I don't want them sticking a nasty 4-class 777 on that route.

Of course, they used to run a lovely 747 down to GIG, but then Hiddy got them all diverted to that dump where he lives.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Of course, they used to run a lovely 747 down to GIG, but then Hiddy got them all diverted to that dump where he lives.
Well I've been told by the crew that they would love a direct EZE flight again so they could spend their layover in EZE rather than GRU.

Of course the tier point collectors wouldn't be so keen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.