Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Sign in using an external account
Register Calendars Flyertalk Wiki Today's Posts

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 3, 14, 11:15 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Tracking NF [New First]
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: Globaliser
The latest version (2010) of the First cabin (termed 'Prime' internally by British Airways, or 'New First') is available on all 4-class 777s. It is also available on all 24 of the 747s configured with 70 Club World seats, and 14 of the 20 747s configured with 52 Club World seats.

An newer evolution (2013) of the First seat (Prime+) is found on all A380s.

The older version of the First cabin (termed 'Classic' internally by British Airways, or 'Old First') is available on 6 of the 20 747s configured with 52 Club World seats. Some of these aircraft are being retired, with those that are not being retired being refurbished with the Prime cabin as the 747 fleet reduces.

747 figures correct as of 3 November 2014. Last change: Last change: conversion of G-BNLJ to NF.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 10, 10, 1:06 pm   #1

Programs: BA/EK/VS Gold, Coutts Silk, Centurion & all that comes with....
Tracking NF [New First]

AS OF AUGUST 18, 2014:

RETROFITTING IS COMPLETED.

IF FLIGHT IS *NOT* MID-J (52 CW SEATS) 747, THEN IT IS GUARANTEED NEW FIRST. MID-J IS ESSENTIALLY 30% OLD FIRST AND INCREASINGLY NF AS UNCONVERTED 744s RETIRE. OLD FIRST IS CURRENTLY SOLD AS J (WHEN J CABIN FULL) AND, SUBJECT TO EQUIPMENT CHANGES, ON THE FOLLOWING ROUTES: PHX, LAS, YVR. IF YOU GET OF ON A FIRST TICKET, YOU SHOULD PROACTIVELY BE OFFERED AVIOS COMPENSATION.

IF YOU ARE AFTER THE HD THALES IFE SYSTEM STICK TO 388, 773, 17F 772 OR (75%) 14F 772 - THE REST ARE OLD LOWDEF IFE.

----------------------------------------------------------
WHICH PLANES HAVE NF? This only includes jets which actually have an F cabin.
* Denotes the new Thales IFE system (ie HD).

Boeing 777-236/ER (32/32, 100%)
17F (3/3, 100%%): G-ZZZA*, G-ZZZB* and G-ZZZC*.
14F (20/20, 100%): G-VIIA*, G-VIIB*, G-VIIC*, G-VIID*, G-VIIE*, G-VIIJ*, G-VIIF*, G-VIIG*, G-VIIH*, G-VIIK*, G-VIIL*, G-VIIM*, G-VIIN*, G-VIIS*, G-VIIU, G-VIIV, G-VIIW, G-VIIX, G-VIIY, and G-RAES*.
12F (9/9, 100%): G-YMMG, G-YMMH, G-YMMI, G-YMMJ, G-YMMK, G-YMML, G-YMMN, G-YMMO, and G-YMMP.

Boeing 777-336 (6/6 100%)
G-STBA*, G-STBB*, G-STBC*, G-STBD*, G-STBE* and G-STBF*.

Boeing 747-436 (38/52, 73%)
Hi-J (26/26, 100%): G-BNLE, G-BNLK, G-BNLN, G-BNLO, G-BNLP, G-BNLT, G-CIVF, G-CIVG, G-CIVH, G-CIVI, G-CIVM, G-CIVR, G-CIVS, G-CIVO, G-CIVV, G-CIVW, G-CIVX, G-CIVY, G-CIVZ, G-BYGA, G-BYGB, G-BYGC, G-BYGE, G-BYGD, G-BYGF and G-BYGG.
Mid-J (13/25, 52%): G-CIVB**, G-CIVD, G-CIVE, G-CIVJ, G-CIVL, G-CIVN, G-CIVK, G-CIVP, G-CIVT, G-CIVU, G-BNLG, G-BNLU and G-BNLV.

** Being used for WiFi system testing.

NOTE: 14 Mid-J 747 jets were not converted as they are older and are to be replaced by A380s. The older Mid-J 744s will be retired one/month starting in November 2013 (see below) with the NF cabins cabins transferred to OF jets if applicable.

As of Nov 2013, the withdrawal rates of 744s has been announced and is expected to proceed as follows (brackets show % OF in Mid-J fleet)

Dec-13: 13/25 (52%)
Feb-14: 12/24 (50%)
Mar-14: 11/24 (46%)
May-14: 10/24 (42%)
Jun-14: 09/23 (39%)
Sep-14: 08/22 (36%)
Oct-14: 07/21 (33%)
Nov-14: 06/20 (30%)
Aug-14: 05/19 (26%)
Nov-14: 04/18 (22%)
Dec-14: 02/16 (13%)
Feb-15: 01/15 (7%)

Airbus A380-800 (2/2, 100%)
Lower (mid) deck 14F PRIME+ ie enhanced NF [read: more space, slightly rejigged seat, no flashy window blinds]. Otherwise NWT+/NWT and NGCW (new colour scheme and screen).

HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF MY FLIGHT HAS NF?

YouFirst can tell you 24h before your flight if your bird is with NF or not (not 100% reliable).
or
If you have a cot by 5K (small grey box says "COT") and the wardrobe by 1A/K disappears from the seat map (usually after T-72) then it is likely NF.
or
Check Flight Radar 24 for the incoming flight (for outstations) as it gives the plane reg number and the check that against the list.

WHAT IS THE LIKELINESS OF MY FLIGHT HAVING NF?

Ftdashboard.net highlights all flights with NF (and % thereof) throughout the site. http://ftdashboard.net/overview/baflights.htm

388 = 100% (all Thales)
773 = 100% (all Thales)
17F 772 = 100% (all Thales)
14F 772 = 100% (75% Thales)
12F 772 = 100% (no Thales)
High-J 744 = 100% (no Thales)
Mid-J 744 = 46% (no Thales)

HOW CAN I IDENTIFY A PLANE WITH NF?

How to identify jets with NF (note the blocked windows):

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/2/4...1276837774.jpg
http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/6...1275641936.jpg

SO WHAT DOES NF LOOK LIKE?

There are various picture of the new cabin floating around (747 and 777) courtesy of various FT members some of which I have linked below, and if you dig around then some trip reports can be found too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60827138@N08/

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/...8dd743c4_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...d438655f_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/...2a660530_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/...72e71b15_b.jpg

Last edited by YClass; Aug 18, 14 at 6:06 am. Reason: Relatively regularly updating.... let me know if I've done something wrong as I use both FTDash, BASource and whats posted...
YClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 10, 1:15 pm   #2

Programs: BA Gold, United 1K, bmi Silver, AA Platinum
www.lhr-lgw.com allows you to follow previous movements.

Edit: Looks like it might be down at the moment though.
Seated in First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 10, 5:41 pm   #3

Is it possible to turn this in to a sticky like we had for NGCW?
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 10, 6:01 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord Mucci des Contes de Voyages, Diamond Hairbrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seated in First View Post
www.lhr-lgw.com allows you to follow previous movements.

Edit: Looks like it might be down at the moment though.
The web address is http://www.lhr-lgw.co.uk/
Old Feb 11, 10, 4:23 am   #5

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, ICHG Platinum
I might be the voice of dissent here and come across all miserable but I can't really see the value of tracking NF just yet, certainly not until 3-4 aircraft have been refitted, and here's why:

- I might be wrong, but I suspect that it's going to be 4-6 weeks at least before we see another aircraft refitted, seeing as no-one has said that an aircraft is going in to be refitted now, and I guess BA will want to iron out any kinks with the one aircraft before rolling out across the fleet. That aircraft could be going to any destination on the BA network, and not even BA know where that aircraft is going to be in a months time.

- It's near impossible to accurately predict which aircraft will fly a particular route on a particular day.

- The thread will just get filled up early on with lots of speculation and repeated "Will NF be on my flight in 1/2/3/4/5/6 weeks/months/years time" - "I'll be annoyed if it's not on my flight" etc etc.

The first aircraft with NGCW did runs to HKG, LAX, NRT, JNB, JFK within 2 weeks of being introduced, but there was no way to predict accurately which of the many flights to those destinations it was actually on.

I'd advise reading the first few pages of the Club World Guide thread to see what I mean - it's now 103 pages and that started straight after the first aircraft was refitted. Take a look at that thread and count how many "Will NGCW be on my flight?" questions there are.

When the rollout is slightly further along I can see value, but early on you might as well have a crystal ball. If anyone is able to accurately predict this aircrafts movements can you let me know the lottery numbers for Saturday please?
David_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 10, 5:06 am   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Doyle View Post
I might be the voice of dissent here and come across all miserable but I can't really see the value of tracking NF just yet, certainly not until 3-4 aircraft have been refitted, and here's why:
I entirely agree. This is not going to be a precipitously fast process and whether one will or will not, have NF in the next few months should be viewed as "Que Sera, Sera".
quaintass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 10, 5:23 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Doyle View Post
I might be wrong, but I suspect that it's going to be 4-6 weeks at least before we see another aircraft refitted
It's worse, the cabin is undergoing a 90 day evaluation by the CAA - so it won't be until May before the next 777 is rolled-out. Even then, cabins are only being fitted when the aircraft are in for their scheduled maintenance. So, they're sparing very little expense. Of course, it may be that BA is allowed to fit cabins if they have confidence of a CAA sign-off and then may have a few ready to go when given the thumbs up.

I'd certainly love to be that CAA inspector - three months of flying NF!

I've just noticed on the LHR movements website that our friend G-VIIU went to some mystery location at 10.56 today:

Code:
Finals EGLL 09L	11/02	10:56:14	400772	BAW24R	B772	G-VIIU	British Airways	350	89	Approach
Motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 10, 7:18 am   #8

Programs: BA Gold
Predicting movements will - as with NGCW - be a futile endeavour. But I will use the usual spreadsheets to track past flights and provide statistics on the routes. Agreed that will not really be of much use until several aircraft have been refitted. We will of course need refit data from our useful insider(s) at BA!
Irish lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 10, 8:29 am   #9

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold & BAEC Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motors View Post
It's worse, the cabin is undergoing a 90 day evaluation by the CAA - so it won't be until May before the next 777 is rolled-out. Even then, cabins are only being fitted when the aircraft are in for their scheduled maintenance. So, they're sparing very little expense. Of course, it may be that BA is allowed to fit cabins if they have confidence of a CAA sign-off and then may have a few ready to go when given the thumbs up.

I'd certainly love to be that CAA inspector - three months of flying NF!

I've just noticed on the LHR movements website that our friend G-VIIU went to some mystery location at 10.56 today:

Code:
Finals EGLL 09L	11/02	10:56:14	400772	BAW24R	B772	G-VIIU	British Airways	350	89	Approach
Wasn't that just the inbound from Chicago?
odd2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 10, 8:37 am   #10

Programs: BAEC Blue, Etihad Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by odd2005 View Post
Wasn't that just the inbound from Chicago?
On approach to 09L @ LHR (EGLL) is hardly a mystery location.
Speedbird676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 10, 8:38 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver | QR alumni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motors View Post
the cabin is undergoing a 90 day evaluation by the CAA
How come? Surely it must have had to go extensive testing before it was even let on a plane flying a passenger service?
Sixth Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 10, 9:48 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird676 View Post
On approach to 09L @ LHR (EGLL) is hardly a mystery location.
I can't read those darn things! I'm learning tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
How come? Surely it must have had to go extensive testing before it was even let on a plane flying a passenger service?
Who knows! I read it on Business Traveller.
Motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 10, 10:31 am   #13

No more 777s for a while. There is 1 747 due in service in March/April. They will both be flying for a while before any others from either fleet are converted.
Old Feb 11, 10, 11:11 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Just said a small prayer about that 747 and the BOS route in August.
Old Feb 11, 10, 12:06 pm   #15

Programs: BA Executive Club, Delta Skymiles, Hilton HHonors
OK so everyone is hoping to have the NF on their next trip. Does anyone have any ide when the re-fit will be completed.

I have a FIRST trip in Nov, so is that realistic or not??

gaz
gaz68 is offline   Reply With Quote