Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First seat: First Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Looks terrific - very British in design.

But just like QF A380 F, they've gone for angled seats with the head close to the aisle and the feet near the wall/windows. And since they're slightly herringbone it means you sit a long way from the window. You can still look out, but you can't look down at all, and you can't get close to the glass without sitting on the footstool. You get a better view in business class.

Granted I don't have the cash or miles to fly F, so this is a purely hypothetical: but given how much I like to look out the window, and the fact that CW is also flat-bed, I'd rather save the difference and fly in J.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by estate
And since they're slightly herringbone it means you sit a long way from the window. You can still look out, but you can't look down at all, and you can't get close to the glass without sitting on the footstool. You get a better view in business class..
Yes that's my only concern....the new window set up must make it even more difficult to look out and down to see what you're passing below.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:23 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes that's my only concern....the new window set up must make it even more difficult to look out and down to see what you're passing below.
indeed, not only is one window seemingly blocked but it looks like you're not going to be able to get within 4-5 inches of where you were able to look from previously. Looks like the biggest compromise of the new design
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:42 am

Looks like we should have had a look at the patent filing.... Though that might have taken the fun out of the details being revealed!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:53 am

[QUOTE=jaguarpig;13369300]The new LX F is very nice but I thought the old BA F was more private, plus the LX seat is horrendously hard.

Even with the privacy panels extended?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by Skimo

Even with the privacy panels extended?
Its a much more open cabin than BA because of the seats regimented layout, the privacy screen does screen you from your neighbour.With 8 seats its not really an issue especially if like wife and I you get the whole cabin to yourself
One other thing all seats are identical no addition storage for the window seats.

Last edited by jaguarpig; Feb 11, 2010 at 5:44 am Reason: Picture added
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:29 am
Original Poster

And here's what's inside that little cupboard. And what a little monster that TV remote control is (looks like it's the sat phone too) ...

Loads more pictures here, which are much better than anything seen so far.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:34 am
Original Poster

And more importantly, the first pic I've seen of the bed with the arms lowered:

Thanks to Nick @ BA
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Motors
And here's what's inside that little cupboard. And what a little monster that TV remote control is (looks like it's the sat phone too)
The remote looks identical to the current device in F and Club.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why wouldn't it be?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: confidential
I wonder if the new seats will mean less space, ie less space for hand baggage you can place in front of u or leg room. The windows look like they are electronically controlled. I hate to think what happens when they break down.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Space for hand baggage is a problem; from the 6th February no hand baggage/duvets/mattress covers can be stowed under the buddy seat. All of these items must be kept in the overhead lockers or in the seat wardrobe. This is the same for the old and the new cabin.
CIHY
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One
I wonder if the new seats will mean less space, ie less space for hand baggage you can place in front of u or leg room. The windows look like they are electronically controlled. I hate to think what happens when they break down.
There is a manual switch for the blinds if they fail.
CIHY
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The remote looks identical to the current device in F and Club.
It's probably a little perspective, but it looks quite big when compared to the "iDrive" panel and the rest of the seat - it doesn't really need to be that big was my point!

I thought they could have improved the IFE control - maybe having it as a smaller touch screen/iPod-type device that was stored in one of the arm rests. Maybe that's too bling for BA. It would have be a lot easier to get at as well in the arm instead of reaching up for it - I'm lazy I know!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Motors
It's probably a little perspective, but it looks quite big when compared to the "iDrive" panel and the rest of the seat - it doesn't really need to be that big was my point!

I thought they could have improved the IFE control - maybe having it as a smaller touch screen/iPod-type device that was stored in one of the arm rests. Maybe that's too bling for BA. It would have be a lot easier to get at as well in the arm instead of reaching up for it - I'm lazy I know!
Well I can see your point but this way you can operate the IFE when lying down, just have the handset out of the cupboard.

Does anyone know if the entire fleet is moving to the Thales system or just selected planes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.