Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First seat: First Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nicksta
Something not explicitly mentioned - are the overhead bins still there?
Yes, I believe they are.

It looks to me like the nice window ledge has been removed, which is sad. It was great for putting laptop/book/mags/water on.

I also note that you are no longer permitted to stow anything beneath the buddy seat due to some new air vents which have been added there

Aside from that, it all looks lovely, and I can't wait to try.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nicksta
I really like the look of the new First and I agree with not making it too 'bling'. I'll reserve judgement until I can actually try the product, but initially, I am impressed. Its going to feel odd searching out routes with 777 equipment instead of 747s for the next year - I'm used to the opposite game!

Something not explicitly mentioned - are the overhead bins still there? It would seem that they would have to be, but previous posts concerning NGF have discussed their removal.

Mood lighting in the cabin? New carpets? Again, I would guess yes, but who knows for sure. I can just picture that dark cabin with blue window shades and blue mood lighting on a flight - mmm, can't wait to go somewhere far!
Yes, the mood lighting is quite a major 'soft' feature. I believe there are 11 different settings. It's LED, so straight away a major improvement over the current flourescent lighting.

Also the galleys are getting an upgrade to improve f&b quality. New, electronic steam ovens and a coffee machine whose name I can't even pronounce yet!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I still think the TV looks rather small, while the picture of the LX cabin makes its screen seem massive by comparison. The table also looks substantially larger than on BA.

But the design itself looks better on BA, and it probably has more privacy.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I still think the TV looks rather small, while the picture of the LX cabin makes its screen seem massive by comparison. The table also looks substantially larger than on BA.

LX has 22" screens and their tables are about 24" x 30 " or almost "restaurant size."

Privacy-wise, LX has large panels that almost completely enclose each "suite."

I don't mean to bash BA's new F cabin. It was leading-edge 10-12 years ago when first implemented. But the competition has evolved since, and there are now many more options.

I think SQ has the perfect F cabin on a 747 with 12 seats. Lots of room and easy to get around.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by macabus
LX has 22" screens and their tables are about 24" x 30 " or almost "restaurant size."

Privacy-wise, LX has large panels that almost completely enclose each "suite."

I don't mean to bash BA's new F cabin. It was leading-edge 10-12 years ago when first implemented. But the competition has evolved since, and there are now many more options.

I think SQ has the perfect F cabin on a 747 with 12 seats. Lots of room and easy to get around.
Dont forget though that on the new F on LX the screens are at the end of the seat by the ottoman where on BA they are halfway down the seat. Though the screen itself maybe smaller, how you view it from where you sit they could seem to be a similar size if not BA's could even seem bigger
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by macabus

Well as you know TG has only ten seats on the 747...and those lovely girls in the BKK F spa......

Obviously BA cannot compete with the likes of them but they have chosen a sensible option I would say. Try getting a redemption on SQ....
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I completely agree with macabus about the LX F hard product being superior to new BA F! Infact LX F is superior to BA F in every single way (food, ground services, service etc.) Although I must say that the new BA F does look very nice. The details, colours and design look very nice and very ''F''. The new screen in particular looks very nice.
The only problem I find with BA is that there isn't much room around the feet when in the bed mode. When I sleep, I like to spread my legs out so I don't really like the way they feel constricted on BA F.
Anyway respect to BA for bringing out a nice new product and like other people say, hopefully they can improve their ground services as well and they will be on to a winner ^
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:09 pm

CX has a superior product, and at 6'-04" tall CX's flat bed is super wide and long for a great nights sleep. Understand BA has found a way to increase width a bit, hope they found a way to extend the length of their bed a couple of inches.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I am sure the BA F will be nice enough. It still does not seem like a huge 'up' from BA J though. Now that they have upgraded their hard product I hope they up the soft product too.

How about power sockets? Same as in BA J now (finally!) or still that *&#T@ empower?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I am sure the BA F will be nice enough. It still does not seem like a huge 'up' from BA J though. Now that they have upgraded their hard product I hope they up the soft product too.

How about power sockets? Same as in BA J now (finally!) or still that *&#T@ empower?
They're UK/US sockets in NF.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Try getting a redemption on SQ....
Amen to that brother.

In 2008-2009, I redeemed 25 F flights on SQ before they stopped allowing Star alliance redemptions in C & F classes on longhaul flights.

With 100,000 new BA miles from Chase in my hot little hands, I only hope that BA has F or C availability from PHX in the near future.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer

I believe the LX screen is at the end of the seat while the BA screen swings around and is closer to the face, I don't think you would want the screen to be any bigger. The table is hinged in the centre and is twice as big as it is shown in some of the pictures.
CIHY
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I believe the LX screen is at the end of the seat while the BA screen swings around and is closer to the face, I don't think you would want the screen to be any bigger. The table is hinged in the centre and is twice as big as it is shown in some of the pictures.
CIHY
Thanks for the insight!

Do you press the button at the top of the screen to release it? Or can this be done electronically? It also looks like its at the height of the table, so when eating/drinking will cups/glasses get in the way?

Also looking at the picture with the table at its biggest, does the table slide back and forth like the current one? Otherwise it looks like my buddy will be trapped in!

Questions, questions, questions!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Motors
Thanks for the insight!

Do you press the button at the top of the screen to release it? Or can this be done electronically? It also looks like its at the height of the table, so when eating/drinking will cups/glasses get in the way?

Also looking at the picture with the table at its biggest, does the table slide back and forth like the current one? Otherwise it looks like my buddy will be trapped in!

Questions, questions, questions!
From memory you slide the button to release the screen and it cannot be done electronically. The screen is higher than the table but I am not sure how much. Can't remember if the table slides (think so) but as it folds in half the person in the buddy seat would be able to get out.
One thing that has not been mentioned in the basinet seat will be 5F on the 747 and 17 seat 777 and 4F on all the other 777.
CIHY
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
CIHY
The new LX F is very nice but I thought the old BA F was more private, plus the LX seat is horrendously hard.

Screen is the biggest I've seen it has very good resolution.

View from the seat.

I can't wait to try the new BA F it looks fantastic, only wish the food could be up to the LX standard,minus the doily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.