Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
There is no guarantee that any first class seats will be released for either route at 350 days out. There is only one for 2xCW and 2xWT.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
Gshumway. I realize what the current availability is but my question is if i find availability for the first flight can i put that on hold until the next day when the second flight availability might show up?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by geezersrule
i would like to book SFO-LHR-MAA as soon as possible because FC from SFO-LHR goes quickly and the second leg LHR-MAA is the following day. is is possible to book SFO-LHR and put it on hold until the next day and then add LHR-MAA? or do i have to wait until LHR-MAA is available to book and hope that the SFO-LHR is not gone? thanks for any insight.
The rules for the Chase 2-1 awards say that you must book a roundtrip. But some here have said they book the one way, then call back when the return opens up and book that and utilize the 2-1 then. If you want to try this, then there's no problem calling the next day and adding LHR-MAA; they will just deduct the additional points from your account. The big question is whether they will honor your using the 2-1 certificate after you add the return later. If you do this it would be great if you would post your success of failure here.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:03 pm

thanks JIMCHI. will let you know what i do.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
The rules for the Chase 2-1 awards say that you must book a roundtrip. But some here have said they book the one way, then call back when the return opens up and book that and utilize the 2-1 then. If you want to try this, then there's no problem calling the next day and adding LHR-MAA; they will just deduct the additional points from your account. The big question is whether they will honor your using the 2-1 certificate after you add the return later. If you do this it would be great if you would post your success of failure here.
This works fine in multiple stages. I did it last summer: LAX-LHR as soon as released, then added the connecting leg LHR-BCN the following day then the return BCN-LHR-SFO on later as soon as the return transatlantic leg became available (since there was little urgency about the intra-Europe return leg).

BA Japan office is your best bet to call at the time of release: they dealt smoothly with my ultra-complicated request (family of 5 spread over 3 bookings, one with 2-for-1, one with GUF2, one on a simple reward ticket, all on different flights for the transatlantic return leg to account for the fact there are only 2 CW tickets released per flight and we had to return on a specific day), although it required nearly an hour on the phone.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I have successfully booked one way tickets on the Chase 2-4-1 rewards without an issue.
Twice.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Gshumway
There is no guarantee that any first class seats will be released for either route at 350 days out. There is only one for 2xCW and 2xWT.
I believe that BA guarantees "a minimum of two Club World/Club Europe and four World Traveller/Euro Traveller reward seats on all British Airways operated flights."
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:31 pm

thanks to everyone. i lucked out. i was able to find and book 2 X FC for SFO-LHR and with an overnight at LHR 2 X CW for the LHR-MAA. very happy camper.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:33 am

Was there ever a consensus on whether returns/credits in the current year, for purchases made in the prior year, count towards your net spend requirement for the current year?

For example:
- Make a $5,000 purchase in December 2016, that is refunded in January 2017
- Make $29,000 purchases in January 2017

Is your net spend for 2017 $29,000 or $24,000?

Chase agents say your net spend is $24,000, but from personal experience, the Chase IT system calculates it as $29,000. This leads to problems whereby Chase agents say "you need to spend another $6,000 before the companion voucher is triggered", whereas in reality the amount is $1,000.

This is obviously problematic as the voucher expiry is dictated by the issue date, and the voucher can't be retroactively pulled (easily) even if Chase agents give false information.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
It seems to be net current year spending; last year I had just that situation with refunds at the start of 2016, and a final transaction at the end of 2016 (that didn't post in Dec) to where I missed the 30K target. I had taken the refund into account on my spending, but the late Dec transaction not posting got me. If refunds didn't hurt the current year then my net spend would have been over.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Timing

Can someone confirm that the award is issued approx. 1 month after the $30K threshold has been crossed during the calendar year ?

I never use my Chase card except for the 2:1 voucher last year, when I had an immediate need for it.

I've amassed just short of the $30K by mid June this year (business expense) and don't need the voucher for any travel this year. Should I just plan to cross the $30K spend in October, pay the bill immediately and expect the voucher to be issued Nov/Dec before year end ?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I have been in exactly the same position. I deliberately wait until as late as possible in the year before crossing the $30K threshold. It's not when you settle your account; it's when you have spent $30K.

A big weakness of the program is the disincentive to use your CC for fear of triggering the limit as you only have two years from the date of issue, and, if you take advantage of it annually, it's preferable to stagger the issuance of the tickets as much as possible.

I simply don't understand why they don't make it two years from Dec 31 each year. Also, why limit it to only one Companion ticket? Why not two if you reach $60K?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
Can someone confirm that the award is issued approx. 1 month after the $30K threshold has been crossed during the calendar year ?

I never use my Chase card except for the 2:1 voucher last year, when I had an immediate need for it.

I've amassed just short of the $30K by mid June this year (business expense) and don't need the voucher for any travel this year. Should I just plan to cross the $30K spend in October, pay the bill immediately and expect the voucher to be issued Nov/Dec before year end ?
So we still don't know if the award is posted to the BA account 1 day or 1 month or at the end of the billing period after the $30,000 spend. Can anyone give a recent experience?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
So we still don't know if the award is posted to the BA account 1 day or 1 month or at the end of the billing period after the $30,000 spend. Can anyone give a recent experience?
In my case, in each of the last four years it has posted annually on the 6th of the month following a Visa statement dated the 20th. Therefore around 16 days after the $30K posted.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
And I just did a test booking a few moments ago, and the website was perfect fine with me checking both the "redeem a voucher" box as well as the "one-way" box.
The BA website no longer allows selecting the "one-way" box if the "redeem a voucher" box is checked. Has anyone been able to book a one-way (outbound flight once it becomes available) since this change? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.