Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend

Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:55 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Why is Nairobi not allowed but JNB is?

Looking to got ATL-LHR-NBO, but BA is saying no...

Error
Sorry, BA Chase Companion Voucher can only be used for flights operated by British Airways. Your options are to either select Avios or select another route.

ATL-LHR-JNB BA is saying ok
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by scootr29
Why is Nairobi not allowed but JNB is?

Looking to got ATL-LHR-NBO, but BA is saying no...

Error
Sorry, BA Chase Companion Voucher can only be used for flights operated by British Airways. Your options are to either select Avios or select another route.

ATL-LHR-JNB BA is saying ok
Can you provide the flight numbers you're looking at?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Not sure scootr29, as both ATL-LHR and LHR-NBO flights are mainline BA. You might have to call that one in, ba.com seems to have got confused.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Not sure scootr29, as both ATL-LHR and LHR-NBO flights are mainline BA. You might have to call that one in, ba.com seems to have got confused.
Yea it is interesting,,,checked IAD and they allow IAD-LHR-NBO

Maybe I will give them a ring...I am not looking to travel until 2016, but getting up to speed on using the BA site so I can have nimble fingers and searching skills to get the dates I want before the seats are gone....
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by scootr29
Yea it is interesting,,,checked IAD and they allow IAD-LHR-NBO

Maybe I will give them a ring...I am not looking to travel until 2016, but getting up to speed on using the BA site so I can have nimble fingers and searching skills to get the dates I want before the seats are gone....
Is it possible you were looking at the ATL-LHR with a BA flight number but operated by AA (which is why I was asking for the flight numbers)?

EDIT: I see what you mean. It doesn't even let you get to the flight choice using ATL. As JAXBA says, looks like a website problem.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Is it possible you were looking at the ATL-LHR with a BA flight number but operated by AA (which is why I was asking for the flight numbers)?

EDIT: I see what you mean. It doesn't even let you get to the flight choice using ATL. As JAXBA says, looks like a website problem.
@golfmad....you are correct..BA did not even give the chance to see flight #s...it just gave me an error message.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
Hi, quick question. I attained the travel together certificate this past year and I know it is valid for two years. Do I need to keep the creditcard open for the certificate to remain valid? The annual fee is up for this year and I don't want to pay it if I don't need to. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:04 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by huynhc
Do I need to keep the creditcard open for the certificate to remain valid?
No. Once it has reached your BAEC account it is yours. You earned it through spend, not by promising to remain a Chase customer.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
No. Once it has reached your BAEC account it is yours. You earned it through spend, not by promising to remain a Chase customer.
No one on FlyerTalk has presented a situation where BA or Chase has actually enforced this requirement, but folks need to be aware of what the Travel Together Ticket Terms and Conditions actually say about this issue:

"Members must remain eligible for this promotion at the time of travel. BA and Chase reserve the right to withdraw any vouchers in the event that the Member is in breach of the terms of the BA/Chase Credit Card or the BA Executive Club Terms and Conditions."

Since the Terms and Conditions require you to "remain eligible for this promotion," it is significant to note that "eligibility" requires you to be a current cardholder:

"You are only eligible to receive a Travel Together Ticket (Voucher) for a companion if you are a member of the BA Executive Club and are the main account holder within a BA/Chase Credit Card account (a Member)."

You will need to judge for yourself whether there is a risk here.....
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:51 am

I have a BA companion ticket I am trying to use before november of this year.

My first time using this companion ticket thus i am doing research.

I currently have 175k miles
From what I gather, it is best bangs for bucks to fly business / first to europe to effectively use the companion ticket?

Will anybody be able to shed light on this?

starting flight must start from NYC - JFK
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by barbai

From what I gather, it is best bangs for bucks to fly business / first to europe to effectively use the companion ticket?

That's very true, especially since you have more than enough miles for an F ticket. Go for F class and enjoy some real comfort and service.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:28 am

Yes. In my opinion using Avios for economy class award is a waste because the fuel surcharge fee that BA levies is so high... might as well pay for the whole fare (and consider using Avios to upgrade?)

JFK (or EWR) to LHR in business or first is actually a reasonably good deal on BA because the distance-based award pricing makes this route fairly cheap in terms of Avios miles. However this route does have very high fuel surcharges and for business/first can amount to about the same as what an paid economy class seat would have cost.

But with the companion ticket it is fairly easy to accept... you are essentially getting two business (or first) class tickets for the price of two paid economy class seats plus Avios miles for one person. All things considered not that bad.

The JFK/LHR route is fairly easy to find two business or first seats on BA as they have so many flights, but if you are connecting beyond LHR then you might have trouble as business awards on the short haul flights seam to be harder to come by. Adding a connection beyond LHR also costs more Avios miles (and taxes/fees). If you are having trouble finding award flights on the connection to/from europe consider a separate purchased ticket for the short haul flight rather than using an award.

If you are planing to visit both the UK and other european countries then consider visiting the UK first. The reason is the extremely high departure tax levied by the UK government on premium class departures from UK airports. You can avoid this tax if you are simply connecting in LHR rather than originating from LHR... but then that would need to be done as a single ticket so purchasing a separate short haul flight into LHR as suggested above doesn't help.

You can also mix business and first class with the award/companion, for example fly business class over from JFK to LHR and fly first class home back to JFK. Flying F gets you access to the Concorde Lounge in LHR, and as the flight home will be during the day you can enjoy the first class service (whereas on a short overnight flight you would likely want to sleep the whole way... which you can do just as well in business class, especially on upper deck).

Good luck and enjoy.

DAK
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:53 am

Hello barbai. This thread should tell you all you need to know. Good luck.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tart-here.html
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: BA, NW, Starwood
Change in companion on 2-4-1 voucher booking

I have a trip planned using my 2-4-1 voucher. They might back out and I would bring someone else. What do I need to do if this happens? Can I just call to change the companion information? Or do it online? I don't need to cancel and rebook do I?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by candacegar
I have a trip planned using my 2-4-1 voucher. They might back out and I would bring someone else. What do I need to do if this happens? Can I just call to change the companion information? Or do it online? I don't need to cancel and rebook do I?
The Terms & Conditions are very clear:

"Once travel using the redemption voucher (s) has been booked, name changes are not allowed."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.