Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:46 am

My local Cineworld has sold out of Giftcards. If i order a £10 Giftcard online, I wonder if i would still receive £10 back per card, if so it would only cost me £1.95 (delivery) per £10 Giftcard x 5.

Great promo's, will be sorry to see them both finish up at the end of the week.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Raffles
You could have done grocery shopping in Harvey Nicks upstairs to get full value! However, if you or your partner use (for example) designer brand cosmetics then you can buy those and genuinely say you've got full value.

I am so far on 2 x £27 bottles of wine (which I would never normally spend), 1 x £25 shower gel (which is what we normally use) and £75 of vouchers. The vouchers will probably be used for her usual cosmetics for Ms Raffles so 'full value' on those.
We bought brandy etc that we would normally get in for Xmas so full value.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I think figures like this can be misleading. For example, I spend £78 in Harvey Nichols to get £75 back, but if I'm honest with myself, its not stuff I would have bought, or if I had, it'd have been elsewhere/a different brand for probably around £20. So, its more like a £15-20 saving for me.

Similarly when I use £150 Currys/PC World gift cards I have (already returned £75 cashback) - I know I'll find something I would have bought anyway (looking for a Powerline home networking system), but accept its not really a £75 saving, but nearer £50 as anything I buy out those shops could most likely be bought quite a bit cheaper elsewhere online.

The only offers I can truthfully say I've had the full "value" from are the £10 off £50 spends at Tesco and the free £10s from the XBox links.

Now if you (not you specifically hingeless, but everyone, generally) would have bought those items (or others at the same or greater price) without the offers, then that's great, but how many of us can really say that?
Great post
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Whilst I wouldn't necessarily buy the goods from HN (purely because it involves going to Birmingham), that doesn't mean I wouldn't have bought the goods at all. Maybe my £150 bag would have been £125 elsewhere in a different sale, but then I'd have spent £125 rather than £25.

I understand the point, but I certainly have no interest in putting my head anywhere near this gift horse's mouth.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by pazza2000
My local Cineworld has sold out of Giftcards. If i order a £10 Giftcard online, I wonder if i would still receive £10 back per card, if so it would only cost me £1.95 (delivery) per £10 Giftcard x 5.

Great promo's, will be sorry to see them both finish up at the end of the week.
Please do let us know.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Whilst I wouldn't necessarily buy the goods from HN (purely because it involves going to Birmingham), that doesn't mean I wouldn't have bought the goods at all. Maybe my £150 bag would have been £125 elsewhere in a different sale, but then I'd have spent £125 rather than £25.

I understand the point, but I certainly have no interest in putting my head anywhere near this gift horse's mouth.
Oh, I'm not for one second saying people should not make the most of the deals - I certainly have - but I don't think (m)any of us can simply add up all the cashback we've received and truly say we've saved that amount of money. As you say, you really only saved £125, not the £150 your received back.

This offer was the first time I'd set foot in Harvey Nichols; I wonder how many others are in the same position.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:05 am

I quite agree. I've had £40 worth of free diesel from tesco, that's something i would definitely have used. I could have another £30, but we're away from tomorrow. I'll look into the dixons travel thing, likely get vouchers if I have time, but I will wait to spend them on something I really wanted. That's the thing with these deals, they entice you to buy clutter you don't need, same with some of the clubcard deals, a cool head is always required.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by dannyrado
I quite agree. I've had £40 worth of free diesel from tesco, that's something i would definitely have used. I could have another £30, but we're away from tomorrow. I'll look into the dixons travel thing, likely get vouchers if I have time, but I will wait to spend them on something I really wanted. That's the thing with these deals, they entice you to buy clutter you don't need, same with some of the clubcard deals, a cool head is always required.
I only did the Dixons Travel giftcard things because I need both a Powerline networking solution (our wireless doesn't reach parts of our house) and an external storage backup device. I popped along to my local Currys today but they very little stock so I'm heading over to the PC World in Edinburgh tomorrow to chose from their wider ranger.

I'd definitely only do this offer if you plan to purchase something soon - the Currys/PC World group are not in a great place, financially, just now and I'd not want to have to sit on the gift cards for a few months - they're as-good-as-worthless if the group goes into administration.

Last edited by Paralytic; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:35 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:34 am

tesco is still not working for me despite checking in and loading to card on four seperate occasions now, is there any way to contact foursquare by e-mail (I can only find twitter which I don't do) to find out what's going wrong ? thanks. jane
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
OK, I've got the xbox setup and created my first account but when I go to the games section where the Amex tile should be it's not there, just an advertisment for lovefilm

Was I supposed to sign up for a xbox gold account or something?

What am I doing wrong please?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Don't know where to start mate
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
OK, I've got the xbox setup and created my first account but when I go to the games section where the Amex tile should be it's not there, just an advertisment for lovefilm

Was I supposed to sign up for a xbox gold account or something?

What am I doing wrong please?
Nope, you don't need Xbox Live Gold a/c, just the basic one. When you go to the games section you then need to go down two squares to 'Browse Games' - you'll then see (3 across and 2 down) the Amex advert "Play Halo 4 and Unlock Offers Learn More" - click on that, click 'I agree', then enter you access code given when you finished syncing your card. Then remember to load all the offers! (their system is excellent and you'll receive email confirmations within seconds of loading the offer)

HTH
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Nope, you don't need Xbox Live Gold a/c, just the basic one. When you go to the games section you then need to go down two squares to 'Browse Games' - you'll then see (3 across and 2 down) the Amex advert "Play Halo 4 and Unlock Offers Learn More" - click on that, click 'I agree', then enter you access code given when you finished syncing your card. Then remember to load all the offers! (their system is excellent and you'll receive email confirmations within seconds of loading the offer)

HTH
Thanks for that, I signed up and registered/synced my first 4 cards.

On trying to create a 5th Microsoft account it tells me:

"Sign Up Error 450
You've reached the daily limit for creating Microsoft accounts. Please wait a day and try to sign up again or contact support for assistance."

Oh well

I might have to get someone to create some more from another IP or do another 4 via my mobile internet
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:29 pm
Suspended

OK, it took me 1.5 hours to get all the accounts setup including loggin on via mobile and socks proxy to set up all 11 accounts

Off to Cineworld tomorrow
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Apologies: I have no doubt this is covered elsewhere but the most recent time I can find was 2006!

So...are Amex 241 still extendable? Tried a booking tonight for next Dec and was told the first flight needed to be within voucher validity and the voucher expires in October '13. And if they are not extendable, does the old wheeze of starting with a domestic sector a few months earlier still work?!

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.