Amex & BA Master Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by britbronco22
You can view your PIN online, no need to get it resent
Not supps. Not sure if that changes if you try to separately register the supp card.

I have a similar issue. Turns out my Mum has never used her Gold supp. Will test a few PINs on the ATM with a 'change my PIN' request, and if that fails will risk gift vouchers online.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:23 am

You can indeed get the pin for supplementary cards if you if you register them. I have a supp card from my partner registered on my own log in for this very purpose!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Markagh
You can indeed get the pin for supplementary cards if you if you register them. I have a supp card from my partner registered on my own log in for this very purpose!
Can confirm this works.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by Raffles
Originally Posted by britbronco22
You can view your PIN online, no need to get it resent
Not supps. Not sure if that changes if you try to separately register the supp card.

I have a similar issue. Turns out my Mum has never used her Gold supp. Will test a few PINs on the ATM with a 'change my PIN' request, and if that fails will risk gift vouchers online.
I got 3 pins for cards supp cards last week, you just call amex and they set up an online supp account for you whilst you are on the phone and then you get your PIN in the normal way
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:20 am

Word of caution for any idiots out there (like me.) Do not make a mistake and try to register 2 cards with the same email address, neither will then work.

At the first stage of syncing to xbox, use a different email for each card, I'm down £20 free credit and that's before any of the discount offers.

All in all worth it though, 1 amex from me (should have been 3, doh!!) 2 amex's from Mrs Dannyrado, and 1 amex for mother Dannyrado. Equates to free £40 credit, and the ability to get the aforementioned discounts.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
HN gift vouchers online do NOT work with foursquare.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tangey
HN gift vouchers online do NOT work with foursquare.
Great, thanks for that. Will register Mum's supp and find out the PIN!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
When does the xbox/amex promo end? Still toying with picking up a cheapy one on ebay- or alternatively buying new would still work out ok depending on how many cards you have.

Argos is £149 for standalone console. Bought with 7x £20 argos vouchers (with £5 back for each, via foursquare), brings it down to £115 - but then £10 free credit on each card for activating (unless i am reading that wrong?)- so for me with 10 cards thats a total cost of £14 for the console.

Multiple free £10 cineworld vouchers (£10 back/£10spend) plus other stuff....and then of course the console to sell on afterwards could just about make this worth the hassle.

Last edited by leaveamessage; Dec 26, 2012 at 3:34 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by leaveamessage
When does the xbox/amex promo end? Still toying with picking up a cheapy one on ebay- or alternatively buying new would still work out ok depending on how many cards you have.

Argos is £149 for standalone console. Bought with 7x £20 argos vouchers (with £5 back for each, via foursquare), brings it down to £115 - but then £10 free credit on each card for activating (unless i am reading that wrong?)- so for me with 10 cards thats a total cost of £14 for the console.

Multiple free £10 cineworld vouchers (£10 back/£10spend) plus other stuff....and then of course the console to sell on afterwards could just about make this worth the hassle.
Offer expires on December 31 (i.e. Monday). Of course there may well be new offers next month and if you don't already have a box with the BBC iPlayer 4oD and the like hooked up to your TV then the Xbox could well be a shrewd investment
Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:07 am

The amount of time I have invested in trying to set up the FourSquare deal equates to about £1 per hour earning rate

I have 3 Amex with supps (but the Virgin one has the same number so can't use it, so it means only 5 cards)

Set up 5 accounts on my BB - took absolutely ages.

Tried my 3 cards in Tesco's a few days ago for vouchers - seem to only have got one amount of £10 back, and no notification on FourSquare of the other 2 either (I did 'load' them in the same way as the successful one).

Do they sometimes take a while to come through - even the notification?

Wish I had paid more attention to this thread earlier - I work in London so could have done a quick tube trip to HN. Now I am off work until the New Year so wondering if I can justify the HN trip (and all the crowds!)

Thanks for all the tips
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Originally Posted by KeithS
Tried my 3 cards in Tesco's a few days ago for vouchers - seem to only have got one amount of £10 back, and no notification on FourSquare of the other 2 either (I did 'load' them in the same way as the successful one).

Do they sometimes take a while to come through - even the notification?
Don't worry if you don't get a foursquare notification as I have had a few cash backs without them. All of them have worked

My total cash back now stands at £395 mainly for HN's, shop small, and the the west end weekend.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hingeless
My total cash back now stands at £395 mainly for HN's, shop small, and the the west end weekend.
I think figures like this can be misleading. For example, I spend £78 in Harvey Nichols to get £75 back, but if I'm honest with myself, its not stuff I would have bought, or if I had, it'd have been elsewhere/a different brand for probably around £20. So, its more like a £15-20 saving for me.

Similarly when I use £150 Currys/PC World gift cards I have (already returned £75 cashback) - I know I'll find something I would have bought anyway (looking for a Powerline home networking system), but accept its not really a £75 saving, but nearer £50 as anything I buy out those shops could most likely be bought quite a bit cheaper elsewhere online.

The only offers I can truthfully say I've had the full "value" from are the £10 off £50 spends at Tesco and the free £10s from the XBox links.

Now if you (not you specifically hingeless, but everyone, generally) would have bought those items (or others at the same or greater price) without the offers, then that's great, but how many of us can really say that?

Last edited by Paralytic; Dec 26, 2012 at 6:38 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could have done grocery shopping in Harvey Nicks upstairs to get full value! However, if you or your partner use (for example) designer brand cosmetics then you can buy those and genuinely say you've got full value.

I am so far on 2 x £27 bottles of wine (which I would never normally spend), 1 x £25 shower gel (which is what we normally use) and £75 of vouchers. The vouchers will probably be used for her usual cosmetics for Ms Raffles so 'full value' on those.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
You could have done grocery shopping in Harvey Nicks upstairs to get full value! However, if you or your partner use (for example) designer brand cosmetics then you can buy those and genuinely say you've got full value.
I'd never do a grocery shop in HN though - I suspect they're more expensive that Tesco/Sainsbury so if I did that, I'd be getting £25 of free HN groceries, but not what I'd consider £25 worth of groceries.

I am so far on 2 x £27 bottles of wine (which I would never normally spend), 1 x £25 shower gel (which is what we normally use) and £75 of vouchers. The vouchers will probably be used for her usual cosmetics for Ms Raffles so 'full value' on those.
That's what I mean - some people will get full value out of the offers - those that would have bought the stuff at the price anyway. But I suspect there's a significant amount of what I'd call "contrived purchases" taking place where people are convincing themselves they've got free money.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I bought gift vouchers to the value of £125.

I then bought a Paul Smith Holdall in the sale for £150, reduced from £300. Whilst I wouldn't spend £300 on designer hand luggage, I would spend £150.

Total cost to me was £25 (paid on an old supp Amex we found, so hoping to get that back).

To me, that's real value as I needed a new holdall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.