Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex & BA Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

Decided to go to HN's today

Spent £50 (Including an extra quid or so extra tip on top of the service charge) on lunch for 2 while we made sure all our 4sq accounts had the offer loaded, then off to the dresses where Mrs P found a really nice one she liked for £215.

I tried to get them to split the payment for the dress into 9 transactions but they said this wasn't possible, so we went via the gift voucher route.

This seemed to raise a lot of eyebrows and involved 6 people including a manager to sort it out for us in the end plus we had to show ID for "security reasons".

The £10 leftover went on a bottle of mini Harvey Nicks pink champers for £11.

Not a bad shop really, £275 of free stuff for £1

Thanks Amex, 4sq and Harvey Nicks!!!!

Last edited by PanGalactic; Dec 14, 2012 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by PanGalactic

Decided to go to HN's today

Spent £50 (Including an extra quid or so extra tip on top of the service charge) on lunch for 2 while we made sure all our 4sq accounts had the offer loaded, then off to the dresses where Mrs P found a really nice one she liked for £215.

I tried to get them to split the payment for the dress into 9 transactions but they said this wasn't possible, so we went via the gift voucher route.

This seemed to raise a lot of eyebrows and involved 6 people including a manager to sort it out for us in the end plus we had to show ID for "security reasons".

The £10 leftover went on a bottle of mini Harvey Nicks pink champers for £11.

Not a bad shop really, £275 of free stuff for £1

Thanks Amex, 4sq and Harvey Nicks!!!!
A couple more and we could have a game of cards Panny

Great result^
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
They split my £75 gift card purchase over 3 cards. Maybe 8 cards is the limit..
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:52 am

Wow, and I thought my £150 haul was good going!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I think they just didn't have a clue!

They had £100 gift cards there, but they wouldn't sell them to me split over 4 cards. They insisted they had to do them all as separate transactions so I ended up with a load of £20s and £5s.

If they actually knew how to process the split transactions in the first place we could have bypassed the whole gift card mullarkey and enjoyed 20 minutes more of my life, instead of being left standing there while he kept running to other tills to steal their gift vouchers.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
[QUOTE=PanGalactic;19855792]

No SPG card(s)?

I presume some of the duplicate cards are you and Mrs Pannys second cards on each other accounts. Do we know that they work for the cashback offer? (hasn't the bmi card got the same number?)

I have spent £25 and will be going back with 4 more cards next week, or 8 if your cashback works.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I bought gift vouchers at the customer services desk - they said that they could only use two cards per transaction. The lady there was happy to do it though - and said they'd had a few people in doing the same. The only concern she had was that the cards were all in the same name.

It's probably been noted here before that they issue paper gift vouchers, and the minimum denomination is £5 - if you need change smaller than that, you get it in cash.

I managed to spend £55 in the food hall, and that was without buying any booze. I was very tempted to buy a bottle of Dan Akroyd's Crystal Head Vodka, though...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
I had no problem in a different selfridges (not london)- I just asked for x lots of £25 gift vouchers and said up front I would be paying for each lot separately. Was upfront with the reason though and the customer services assistant said she had heard of it as other people had been doing it, and she would do the same if she had an amex as it was a good deal.
No issue, no manager, no ID required. Sounds like they were being awkward to you!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hingeless
No SPG card(s)?
I've only just taken the Gold Amex so I'm thinking I should let my credit calm down for a bit before taking any other cards. Also, 20,000 wasn't really appealing enough to tempt me

The nice thing about the SPG card is that you can earn Gold status through it, however I already have SPG gold through Amex Platinum. No real incentive to put £15K a year through.

On the other hand, 31250 Avios does seem like it would be worth getting one for and holding on for another transfer bonus.

It would also good to have another Amex in the arsenal to hit more of these 4sq offers if they continue to happen on a regular basis.

Maybe even a Platinum Cashback Amex and/or a Basic blue card just because they are free and they are Amexes

There's also a few more free Amexes from MBNA and apparently they will let you have multiple cards and split your limit across them.
I'm thinking of calling them next week to say I want all these free cards with minimal limits:

Virgin Atlantic White Credit Card Account
MBNA / AAdvantage® Credit Card Account
Miles & More Credit Card Account
MileagePlus® American Express® Credit Card from MBNA

I presume some of the duplicate cards are you and Mrs Pannys second cards on each other accounts. Do we know that they work for the cashback offer? (hasn't the bmi card got the same number?)
Yes, some of them are supplementary cards, but not the BMIs
I already noticed my wife's supp BMI has the same number as my card on it so I didn't bother initially.

I just tried registering her supp BMI card out of curiosity and I got the "Good News! Your card is already synced" message so I don't think that worked.

I have spent £25 and will be going back with 4 more cards next week, or 8 if your cashback works.
Just an update with how I'm doing on this so far....

10/10 Gap £10 cashbacks posted to all the relevant statements! Yes, even the Lloyds ones!!!

2/2 on Tesco.

I have a tab on my spreadsheet for this now, yay!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
SPG Amex

Just reading the post above, noticing that there was mention of the SPG Amex being non good value. Normally that might be true, but at the moment not only can you get paid to take the card by £40 quid cashback (Cancel before 6 months and the fee is less than the payment from Quidco) but on top of that you get 20,000 SPG, which normally convert to 25k avios, but using the link below converts them to over 30k.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...erCode=BRITISH

30k Avios for less than £0, I think that is a top deal, especially with only a 1k minimum spend!

If you use the 1k to buy 3 Motorola irazr from Tesco with 2k clubcard bonus, you can even get another 15-18,000 avios for around £100 (loss after ebaying the phones) and cancel the card within the month netting 40 quid cashback and no fee....
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:06 am

So all of these offers can be spend on gift cards / vouchers?

Need to spend £19.99 at Argos and don't want to round it up so was thinking I just grab £20 gift voucher then use the voucher to buy the goods. Cash back triggered.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Amex
Originally Posted by COOLIO
So all of these offers can be spend on gift cards / vouchers?

Need to spend £19.99 at Argos and don't want to round it up so was thinking I just grab £20 gift voucher then use the voucher to buy the goods. Cash back triggered.
Yes, Amex have no idea what you have bought, just how much you spent.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:05 am

Perfect. Was all up for grabbing some 3rd party gift cards from Argos but the OH didn't bring their amex

£10 off £50 at testes is good for a gift card to use on petrol

Can I double check this could be redeemed on a supplementary card as well as the primary?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yes, supps OK as long as card number is different
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by COOLIO
Perfect. Was all up for grabbing some 3rd party gift cards from Argos but the OH didn't bring their amex

£10 off £50 at testes is good for a gift card to use on petrol

Can I double check this could be redeemed on a supplementary card as well as the primary?
What an awful name for a shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.