Amex & BA Master Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
OK... Regarding the MR offer to BA. It isn't showing in my account, and I've contacted Amex who told me it's targeted to "certain card members who fulfill the criteria".

This has p**sed me off to the point where I'm now going to cancel my Plat. My main reason for this is that I logged into my father's account, and he has the offer showing.

I should point out that he doesn't even know what a MR is. He has never signed up for offers or transferred any of his points anywhere.

I can understand targeted offers, but surely they should be targeted at people who actually might want them?

I'd made my peace with the 450 new charge, but this has really annoyed me, and I'll be transferring all my MRs to his account and then cancelling the card. /RANT

Now, what's the best way to do this? He doesn't have a BA account, but I'm guessing it's not a good idea to try just putting my BAEC number in and making the transaction? What's the simplest solution; add him to my HHA?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:11 pm

Amex don't want you to spend your MR points...methinks the targeted offers are aimed at people who don't already have a ridiculous avios collection, maybe there is even an upper threshold of MR points in your account for this targeted offer...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by 0hnoes
Amex don't want you to spend your MR points...methinks the targeted offers are aimed at people who don't already have a ridiculous avios collection, maybe there is even an upper threshold of MR points in your account for this targeted offer...
Well they're going to have a shock when his new BA account suddenly receives a rather large transfer.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Well they're going to have a shock when his new BA account suddenly receives a rather large transfer.
Are we talking 6 digits? 7 digits?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Are we talking 6 digits? 7 digits?
I'd like it to be 7 digits, but alas, no.

250k ish.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'd like it to be 7 digits, but alas, no.

250k ish.
My balance is around the same mark but i wasn't targetted Did you do the transfer last year?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
My balance is around the same mark but i wasn't targetted Did you do the transfer last year?
I've only made a couple of small transfers to BA. Mainly to show the system that I have a BAEC and get put onto the mailing list. Looks like that was a mistake.

Anyway, any ideas on how to manage the transfer? I think HHA is the only way unless someone has a better suggestion?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OK... Regarding the MR offer to BA. It isn't showing in my account, and I've contacted Amex who told me it's targeted to "certain card members who fulfill the criteria".

This has p**sed me off to the point where I'm now going to cancel my Plat. My main reason for this is that I logged into my father's account, and he has the offer showing.

I should point out that he doesn't even know what a MR is. He has never signed up for offers or transferred any of his points anywhere.

I can understand targeted offers, but surely they should be targeted at people who actually might want them?

I'd made my peace with the 450 new charge, but this has really annoyed me, and I'll be transferring all my MRs to his account and then cancelling the card. /RANT

Now, what's the best way to do this? He doesn't have a BA account, but I'm guessing it's not a good idea to try just putting my BAEC number in and making the transaction? What's the simplest solution; add him to my HHA?
Chill!

1. Pay your 15 fee and transfer your Amex MR points to Dad
2. Dad converts to BAEC and waits for the bonus to hit
3. Dad moves avios from BAEC to avios.com
4. You and Dad form a family account at avios.com
5. You and Dad dissolve your family account at avios.com. You elect to split the avios 100% to you and 0% to Dad
6. You move the avios from avios.com to BAEC

Not difficult!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Olly-
No sign of it on mine either
nor me
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Chill!

1. Pay your 15 fee and transfer your Amex MR points to Dad
2. Dad converts to BAEC and waits for the bonus to hit
3. Dad moves avios from BAEC to avios.com
4. You and Dad form a family account at avios.com
5. You and Dad dissolve your family account at avios.com. You elect to split the avios 100% to you and 0% to Dad
6. You move the avios from avios.com to BAEC

Not difficult!
Cheers for that, I'll go and set him up a BAEC account. How long do I need to leave between point 4 and 5?

I'm angry more at the way people have been targeted when they've never shown any inclination to be interested in BAEC.

I can't help but feel that when paying 450 a year for a card, any offers should be available to all who pay the fee.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I can't help but feel that when paying 450 a year for a card, any offers should be available to all who pay the fee.
A major factor in my decision to cancel mine.

If I get the card for free then I accept that I haven't given anything in return so it's fair enough to differentiate between customers (or 'members' as Amex tell us we all are). However, when you're paying as much as 450 and everybody else is paying the same amount, for me it's much harder to justify.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
A major factor in my decision to cancel mine.

If I get the card for free then I accept that I haven't given anything in return so it's fair enough to differentiate between customers (or 'members' as Amex tell us we all are). However, when you're paying as much as 450 and everybody else is paying the same amount, for me it's much harder to justify.
Not sure I agree with you on this one. You're paying the annual fee for specific features and benefits (e.g. travel insurance, hotel partner programs, car hire partner programs, lounge access etc). If you don't receive those advertised benefits then you have a reasonable complaint. If it's not advertised as a benefit and you don't receive it, it's hard to justify a grievance regardless of the level of membership fee.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Not sure I agree with you on this one. You're paying the annual fee for specific features and benefits (e.g. travel insurance, hotel partner programs, car hire partner programs, lounge access etc). If you don't receive those advertised benefits then you have a reasonable complaint. If it's not advertised as a benefit and you don't receive it, it's hard to justify a grievance regardless of the level of membership fee.
My concern is that some card members are getting benefits that others are not, and yet we all pay the same fee. There is, therefore, an inequality in the way Amex are treating customers and I will have no further part in it.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
My concern is that some card members are getting benefits that others are not, and yet we all pay the same fee. There is, therefore, an inequality in the way Amex are treating customers and I will have no further part in it.
Fair enough. I can understand your decision. Personally, I justify the membership fees that I pay to Amex based on the benefits I signed up for and not secondary or tertiary issues that rank lower on my list of priorities. As I said earlier, I can understand you taking a different view though.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Fair enough. I can understand your decision. Personally, I justify the membership fees that I pay to Amex based on the benefits I signed up for and not secondary or tertiary issues that rank lower on my list of priorities. As I said earlier, I can understand you taking a different view though.
Ordinarily I'd have agreed with you, but with the removal of benefits and the hike in fees I had a hard time justifying paying my renewal in the first place. This was simply the final straw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.