Search

o/t ish: VAT refunds at Man/T5?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:57 am
Original Poster

o/t ish: VAT refunds at Man/T5?

I will be flying BA Man-[lhr] - Jfk

I will need to get a vat refund form stamped and I'm a bit confused

can I do this at Man, even though I'm going to lhr? I cant see an hmrc office on the Man terminal maps.

on the BAA lhr T5. website, the "official" info there seems to be wrong--

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/

it gives Travelex as the Vat refund office and makes no mention of HMRC! Travelex only serves certain vat refund companies.

moreover, the terminal map seems to show the hmrc vat refund office "landside"/before security so how do I access it-- if I'm arriving from man and connecting?

http://www.baa.com/assets/Internet/H..._Map_11-09.pdf

does anyone have any experience of vat refunds-- where's the HMRC office, etc

any help much appreciated, thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by dr benway
... does anyone have any experience of vat refunds-- where's the HMRC office, etc any help much appreciated, thanks!
I know the process at LGW South Terminal which is to present your vat refund documents and goods to be examined and and your documents to be stamped at the HMRC tax refund office landside near departures security on the ground floor, then check-in your bags, then go to the airside Travelex office to process your refund in cash or by credit to your credit card.

I imagine the process at MAN is similar.

N.B. there are rules about how, where and when you can request your refund which you will find here if you don't know them already.

If the rules require it, you can request your refund at LHR - there are HMRC tax refund offices both landside and airside at T5.

Last edited by heartybob; Jan 26, 2010 at 2:38 am
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
IIRC, the office at T5 airside is left and left again out of security south, past the IRIS registration cubby hole.

Edit: Looking at the T5 map I think landside is behind zone G check in desks, which kind of confirms the location of airside, as it would be directly behind the landside office.

Last edited by FenLandK; Jan 26, 2010 at 3:48 am Reason: More info
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, UA Prem Exec, BA blue
You'll have to get the Customs stamps done at LHR because that's your point of departure from the European Union. Theoretically, this means that you can't check in at MAN anything that you're claiming the VAT for because the Customs officer would be within their rights to ask to see the item(s) at LHR. They don't usually ask to see the item, but it's hit or miss. The only ways around this would be 1) bring the VAT refund items in your hand luggage or 2) only check your bags through to LHR, claim them, show the items and get the Customs stamps at T5, then re-check your bags on to JFK.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:20 am
Original Poster

thanks all, for the replies ^
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by efamous
You'll have to get the Customs stamps done at LHR because that's your point of departure from the European Union. Theoretically, this means that you can't check in at MAN anything that you're claiming the VAT for because the Customs officer would be within their rights to ask to see the item(s) at LHR. They don't usually ask to see the item, but it's hit or miss. The only ways around this would be 1) bring the VAT refund items in your hand luggage or 2) only check your bags through to LHR, claim them, show the items and get the Customs stamps at T5, then re-check your bags on to JFK.
I have no experience connecting within the UK, but can say that at other EU airports, I've been able to get my forms stamped when subsequently connecting at another EU airport upon showing my BPs or itinerary. (The only exception was at one of the Milan airports, though I don't remember which; the other, which I subsequently used, was fine.) From a rather long ago thread on FT, I believe there may be some rules on the length of connection time (though I'm not sure whether they are country-specific or apply to the entire EU); this makes a lot of sense, because even with a comfortable layover, if your first flight is late, and/or you have a terminal change, you may end up without time to see the VATman. In any event, why don't you give it a try at MAN and if they won't let you do it, then do it at LHR?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by rfrost
I have no experience connecting within the UK, but can say that at other EU airports, I've been able to get my forms stamped when subsequently connecting at another EU airport upon showing my BPs or itinerary. (The only exception was at one of the Milan airports, though I don't remember which; the other, which I subsequently used, was fine.) In any event, why don't you give it a try at MAN and if they won't let you do it, then do it at LHR?
At MXP there are 2 customs VAT refund offices, one before security and one after, just as there are at T5.

At MXP if you are carrying the goods you want to claim a VAT refund on in your hand baggage then you go to the customs office after security. If your goods are packed in your checkin baggage then you go to the office before security and before you checkin your bags.

Either way, at MXP, you receive your refund at the refund office after security.

If you are going to pack your goods in your checkin baggage then do as rfrost suggests and claim at MAN, otherwise you will have to retrieve your bags at T5 and claim your refund there, which will be a nightmare!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:52 am
Original Poster

thanks for the replies/info

can you use travelex for all vat refunds? it seems that the store you bought from has to be part of the travelex scheme?

Id thought I have to mail the stamped HMRC form back to the store?

http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/personal/vatrefunds.aspx

"With the form properly validated you have a number of options. You can post it back to the retailer, return it to a VAT company (available if the retailer has outsourced this service), or should there be cash refund office at the departing airport, the refund can be made in cash.

Travelex acts as an agent for a number of Refund Agents, Global Refund and Premier being the major ones. Should their forms be presented at various Travelex locations at either Heathrow or Gatwick Airport in the UK then they can be exchanged for cash instantly. There is no extra charge for this service."

VAT

Q What is the Retail Export Scheme?
A As a non-European visitor to the European Union you will pay VAT on most things you buy. The Retail Export Scheme allows you to claim a VAT Refund on most goods you intend to export from the European Union. You must export them by the last day of the third month following that in which the goods were purchased.

Q What documents do I need in order to receive a VAT Refund?
A In order to receive a VAT refund in the UK you will need the following:

* A VAT refund form from the retailer (The refund companies can vary. Travelex issues refunds on behalf of the following companies: Global Refund/Premier Tax Free/GB Tax Free/UK Tax Free)
* Your Passport (If you are leaving the UK after completing your education for example you will need to produce your expiring Visa/One way flight ticket to prove you are leaving the EU)
* Proof of purchase of goods from the Retailer (To prove that you have purchased these goods. Customs may also wish to see the goods you are exporting)

Failure to show any of these items will result in a VAT refund not being processed.

Please note that not all retailers participate in the VAT refund scheme therefore you may not get a VAT refund on all items purchased during your visit.

Jewellery (Inc. Watches) and Electrical goods worth £250 and over must be declared Airside (After Security). All other goods must be declared Landside (Before Security).

Q Who qualifies for a VAT refund in the UK?
A Residents not living in the following countries are eligible for a Tax Refund:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (inc Balearic Islands), Sweden and UK

Q Can Business Traveller’s claim back their VAT refund with Travelex?
A Travelex do not process any VAT forms for Business Travellers. Those claiming VAT whilst in the EU on business must not have their company registered for VAT in the EU. They must also be visiting for business purposes. Business traveller’s must contact HM Customs and Excise on 0845 010 9000 or by visiting www.hmrc.gov.uk.

Q How can I receive my VAT refund?
A There are a number of ways you can receive your VAT refund:

* Cash - Travelex provides VAT refunds in either Pounds Sterling or a foreign currency at any of our VAT offices in Heathrow Airport and Gatwick Airport
* Credit Card - Customers who possess Global Refund forms can choose to have their refund put onto their card at any of our VAT offices in Heathrow Airport and Gatwick Airport
* By Post - Some refund forms issue refunds via Credit Card only

Q I haven’t received my refund as yet?
A

I can confirm Travelex are agents for HM Customs so when you come to Travelex to claim you VAT Refund we will stamp it with a Travelex stamp then send it to Customs to be stamped with the official Customs stamp then we will send this to the company or shop for them to credit the VAT back onto your account.

You will need to contact the company or shop directly to find out if they have received the forms as they will then need to refund your VAT. Please see below contact details for the relevant companies:

Global Refund [email protected]

Premier Tax Free [email protected]

GB Tax Free 08448 008503 or email them at [email protected]

Q Do all retailers/shops have the VAT Refund forms?
A Should the retailer be part of the Retail Export Scheme they will give you a VAT Refund Document. The VAT scheme is only voluntary and not all shops participate in the scheme. The majority of the shops will have VAT stickers in their shop windows. If the shops do not participate in the VAT scheme you will be unable to claim your VAT back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.