Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA or AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

BA or AA?

I will be travelling from Buenos Aires to Hong Kong in Business Class.
First with TAM to London and then to Hong Kong with British Airways.

I do not have any miles on BAEC and neither in TAM program but I do have miles on United and American Airlines programs.

what is the best thing to do?
which way my trip would earn more miles?

Thanks a lot,
Nico.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Welcome nicoklad. If you aren't going to fly either TAM or BA that much, I'd bank the TAM miles in your UA account and the BA miles in your AA account.

I don't know about the TAM flight miles and your UA account, but you'll earn the same number of miles for your BA flight whether you put them in your AA account or a BA account. Will you be flying BA regularly (more than 2-3 times a year)? If so, you may want to consider opening a BA Executive Club account. If not, I would just use your AA account for your BA flight.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by AGSF
Welcome nicoklad. I don't know about the TAM flight miles and your UA account, but you'll earn the same number of miles for your BA flight whether you put them in your AA account or a BA account. Will you be flying BA regularly (more than 2-3 times a year)? If so, you may want to consider opening a BA Executive Club account. If not, I would just use your AA account for your BA flight.
In my experience, TAM flights in business earn at a 1.25 rate into UA Mileage Plus. If you expect to do much more flying with TAM, it may be better to open a Fidelidade account and earn with TAM. The earnings rates are a little hard to decipher, but generally speaking, you can get free tickets within South America very rapidly with business flights on TAM. It takes a bit longer for the same flights credited to UA.

BA in business earns at a 1.5 rate in the BAEC, but only a 1.25 rate on AA.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Schultzois

You may earn a few fewer miles with AA, but redemption on AA is better than on BA because BA charges you taxes and surcharges -- which can run into the hundreds of $$.

Crediting the miles to your AA account may also get you reasonably close to Gold status that it might be worthwhile to take a few flights on AA to reach Gold. With AA Gold status would get you free checked luggage, access to preferred seats, and a slight chance of an upgrade.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Schultzois

My apologies. BA is 1.5. (I've been earning more miles than I thought!).

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...?link=main_nav
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
You may earn a few fewer miles with AA, but redemption on AA is better than on BA because BA charges you taxes and surcharges -- which can run into the hundreds of $$.
That's an excellent point.

Another thing I discovered within the last year is that awards in F on BA are slightly less using AA miles than using BA miles... of course you can't use them for itineraries between US and Europe , but redeeming one-way from Europe to YVR, for instance, turned out to be 62,500 using AA miles, and would have been 75,000 (plus much higher fuel surcharge) using BA miles.

So perhaps the OP should stick to earning with AA, with the slight reduction compared to BA.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Thank You

Thank you very much to all of you for the quick and reliable answers.
I found Flyertalk through google and seems a good place to know travel tips.
Now I know its a great place.

I will put my miles on UA and AA and stick with'em.

Thanks again from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Anything you need to know from our peculiar country, IŽll be glad to tell you.

Last edited by nicoklad; Jan 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.