BA Executive Club -Stopover Rule

Old May 25, 2010, 2:41 pm

I recently booked LAX-LIM-SCL-IPC-SCL-MDZ-AEP/EZE-GRU-LIM-LAX for 40,000 miles per person and then LIM-AQP-JUL-CUZ-LIM for 20,000 miles per person. I am flying Lan Chile, Lan Peru, and Lan Argentina at various points on the trip.

Different agents when you call have different interpretations of the stopover rule and it took me several calls to get all those stops in there. I noticed that agents at their Jacksonville call center were much more helpful and willing to be creative than the ones based in CT. I also noticed that the availability on the website did not always match what the call center agents said was available (or they were lying because they didn't want to do a routing as complicated as mine.

Bottom line-multiple stopovers with LAN can be done.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
That doesnt sound like a direct routing at all. I think you just got lucky with an agent that had no sense of geography and just typed in the segments, confusing the computer thinking that it was all just a simple South American trip.

Kudos for accomplishing it though.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, UA.
How many miles for BOS-LIM round trip and LAX-LIM round trip with BA?

Thanks!
Lee
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, UA.
I try to find out how many miles cost for BOS-LIM on BA website.
It kept give me this error. I did update my DOB on my account !

Error
Too few adults. There must be at least one adult travelling.

Thanks!
Lee[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by wolfie99
I recently booked LAX-LIM-SCL-IPC-SCL-MDZ-AEP/EZE-GRU-LIM-LAX for 40,000 miles per person and then LIM-AQP-JUL-CUZ-LIM for 20,000 miles per person. I am flying Lan Chile, Lan Peru, and Lan Argentina at various points on the trip.
. . .
Bottom line-multiple stopovers with LAN can be done.
Okay, I'm looking for clarification here. Did you stop in all those cities or just connect? And did you have problems booking one segment ending in AEP and the next one starting in EZE? I'm looking to do MIA-LIM(stop)-IPC(destination)-SCL-MDZ-AEP/EZE(stop)-MIA. I'd love to stop in SCL and/or MDZ too, but I might be pushing my luck there.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
I'm looking to do MIA-LIM(stop)-IPC(destination)-SCL-MDZ-AEP/EZE(stop)-MIA. I'd love to stop in SCL and/or MDZ too, but I might be pushing my luck there.
Strictly speaking you aren't allowed to go SCL-BUE via a stopover in MDZ as the most direct route should apply. Given that the N American agents don't seem to have a clue about the rules or where Chile and Argentina are on this planet then the likelihood of you getting it is pretty good.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is really confusing. I know people are saying you can only use one airline in each direction, but what if that one airline does not fly that routing entirely? Im needing to do LOS-LHR-MIA-GSO or LOS-LHR-DFW-GSO, but either will require both BA and AA. I only need a one-way J class award. Any idea on how much that will be and if it's even possible?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This is really confusing. I know people are saying you can only use one airline in each direction, but what if that one airline does not fly that routing entirely? Im needing to do LOS-LHR-MIA-GSO or LOS-LHR-DFW-GSO, but either will require both BA and AA. I only need a one-way J class award. Any idea on how much that will be and if it's even possible?
The key is not to use more than one partner in addition to BA.

That's because using two partners on the same award forces you onto the much more expensive distance-based chart.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
Okay, I'm looking for clarification here. Did you stop in all those cities or just connect? And did you have problems booking one segment ending in AEP and the next one starting in EZE? I'm looking to do MIA-LIM(stop)-IPC(destination)-SCL-MDZ-AEP/EZE(stop)-MIA. I'd love to stop in SCL and/or MDZ too, but I might be pushing my luck there.
I stopped in all of those cities for 2-4 days. The AEP/EZE problem became moot because LAN changed my EZE-GRU flight to AEP-GRU. If you enter Argentina via MDZ you will also avoid paying the $131 reciprocity fee (and it is a great city as well).

The biggest problem I had was that LAN changed flight times and airports in Buenos Aires without notifying me. If I wasn't checking out a FT forum I would have shown up at the wrong airport.

If you get an agent who won't try it, hang up and try, try again.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:45 am

That kind of routing and trip takes a lot of patience and aggravation fighting with the agents to set up. Wish I had that spunk again to try it but alas I get too mad when the person on the other line shoots you down.

Phenomenal routing, I guess BA doesn't have MPM(maximum permitted mileage) rules like other airlines.

Anyone can confirm that? (other than the proof of this completed itinerary)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Putting a one way award together right now and reading through all 5 pages here I get the impression there are no fix rules regarding stopovers in terms of maximum amounts?

I fly YVR-HKG-SIN and got aware that CX also flies SIN-BKK.

If possible I would like to book YVR-HKG(Stop)-SIN(Stop)-BKK. All on CX, this is a First Class award.

Should I be prepared for any issues or is this a pretty smooth process?

Thanks & Cheers,
S.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:44 pm

can you guys chime in help a fellow FTer.
Reading all the previous posts it looks like as long as one does not go back then the itin should be valid.
I am trying to do the following:
yyc-ord-stl-dca(stopover)
dca-jfk-bda(final)
all in should be 12.5 but i am told that it is not the most direct routing and can only stop over in JFK or MIA( where AA has service). I call this BS but the person that I talked to was a Sup. so maybe they really changed rules. I did not care to call back cause I was on the phone for already 2+ hours.
What do you think, do you think that this itin is doable for 12.5k?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:56 pm

Its the supervisors that know the rules and won't let you do something like that. You need to find someone who has no idea about geography or ticket rules to build the legs and issue the ticket blindly.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark
Its the supervisors that know the rules and won't let you do something like that. You need to find someone who has no idea about geography or ticket rules to build the legs and issue the ticket blindly.
I am thinking that the supervisors are clueless, because I have been given different reasons as to why it has not worked.
FOr example last time I booked jfk-dca-dfw-yyc the first time I was told I'd need 60k because it was not the most direct route, the second time I was told that it is not possible because it was not advertised route(it was), third time they insisted on charging me $20, and the 4th time it went by sooo smooth like in 5 mins booked the flight.
I really have no idea why BA does not have its act together...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:07 pm

I just want to thank everyone for their input and advice on this forum. I just booked 2 tickets to go MIA-LIM(stop)-IPC(stop)-SCL-EZE(stop)-LIM-MIA in J on LAN. I did try to go through MDZ or COR to get to EZE or AEP to avoid the recipocal fee, but was told that was not a legal routing. The booking process was pretty quick and painless. It took about 25 min. to book and confirm everything and the agent said it helped him that I had checked all the flights ahead of time.

Again, thanks to everyone who provided info on this- it's the first time I've ever made an award booking on any airline. I'm so excited- I've been dreaming about visiting those places for a couple of years now and now I will in a few weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.