Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Very early morning security at EDI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
OT: Very early morning security at EDI

I have a stupidly early flight tomorrow out of EDI. While I'm very aware of security at 0730, anyone know what it's like at 0530? I need to be at the gate for 0550, but really don't want to lost a moments more sleep than I have to...

So - what time would you get to the airport to be able to clear security? I've checked in and have boarding passes... but I've never flown this early on a weekday (or if I have, I've snoozed through the security).
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Weekdays at 05:30am, anticipate and plan for the worst the airport can throw at you
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

It can't be worse than at 0730?

That's usually somewhere down past the first food place.

Oh well, 0515 arrival.. and 4 am alarm... where's my sobbing softly smilie?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It is much worse - okay security queues may be similar but involves two additional hours stolen from a good night's sleep
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Yeah... I should have asked this question earlier, as I really, really need to go to bed now!

(Just shown weakness and pre-booked car parking to get fast track security )
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The only thing that I looked forward to at 0520 was getting through security and into the lounge!

It has generally been around 10mins for me ( maybe up to 15mins once) but have not been since the express security lane started.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Took a Monday morning flight from EDI in August during the summer holiday season. Still a security queue of 6am - shocking.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants

Although the security queues are always rather long when I get to Edi - always on the early morning flight to LHR for a West Coast flight. I never seem to be waiting too long. In fact I rate EDN as one of my favourite places fro just that reason - everyone seems to be doing something and all the lanes are open - unlike some airports I can name

AKS120
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Took a Monday morning flight from EDI in August during the summer holiday season. Still a security queue of 6am - shocking.
Well Scottish schools go back around the 12th of August, so in Scotland, August isn't z holiday month, it's a working month, and the early flight are most likely to be used by Scots rather than people flying back. July is our equivalent to the English August.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Well Scottish schools go back around the 12th of August, so in Scotland, August isn't z holiday month, it's a working month, and the early flight are most likely to be used by Scots rather than people flying back. July is our equivalent to the English August.
You lot are a bunch of scare-mongers - 0730 much, much much worse. Absolutely no queue at the BP check, such that the express security was patchy and being reserved for last calls of airlines (how does that work if I've paid for it?!). Anyway, have 20 mins in lounge to stuff myself on addictive rolls...
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:10 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Jenbel
You lot are a bunch of scare-mongers - 0730 much, much much worse. Absolutely no queue at the BP check, such that the express security was patchy and being reserved for last calls of airlines (how does that work if I've paid for it?!). Anyway, have 20 mins in lounge to stuff myself on addictive rolls...
Is the EDI lounge open again (I'be been away for three weeks so may have missed its reopening)?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:25 am

The EDI Terraces reopens on Monday 23 November - Jenbel will have had access to another lounge and is being naughty rubbing salt in our wounds
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I got to EDI for a 06.30 flight last week at about 05.40 and the security queue was right back past the top of the stairs and into the food hall. I almost cried in dispair and thought about going home. However it still only took about 15 minutes to get all the way through.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
What is the deal with Express Security at EDI? Unlike every other UK airport this does not seem to give priority to BA Silvers and Golds. The "helpful" guy policing the queues said (details are on our website), well if they are I can't find them.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex P+
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
What is the deal with Express Security at EDI? Unlike every other UK airport this does not seem to give priority to BA Silvers and Golds. The "helpful" guy policing the queues said (details are on our website), well if they are I can't find them.
The Express Security at Edinburgh strikes me as a rather curious trial. It's available only to those paying for premium parking. Not much use therefore to those busy people en taxi!

I have been through a few times. It has been open a couple of times and on both occasions it took people who had paid the extra longer to clear security than us mere mortals. Not convinced this one will last....

Some discussion here -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...press-edi.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.