Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow Vida - overreact much? In my post I clearly mentioned that we were with a guide so it felt safe, but we had hesitations about returning on our own especially at night, so we didn't. Not sure where I communicated any naivete or ignorance about the safety situation in Rio.

Having said that it's really such a beautiful and stunning city with still so much to offer, and still well worth visiting IMO.
Not so much about you. About what some future reader might conclude from the post. Seen many forum comments (from people who were surprised by problems after reading how safe Mr. Magoo felt Rio is) reinforcing my POV on this. YMMV
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:57 am
ADT

transportation with kids..

Does anyone have insight / suggestions for Rio transport with kids? We're traveling soon with our 3 kids, 13 and 10 year olds are easy, but we also have a 15 month old. We were recently in Hong Kong, and the only way we were able to use taxis was for me to have the baby strapped to my lap in a carrier. I'd prefer not to do that.... was looking into a super light foldable carseat that's quick to attach, but it requires a tether above the seat. Not sure how many cars there will have it?? In the US, all cars made after 2003 have it... If everything works out with the tether/carseat, we're looking at having to take two taxis, since there'll be five of us... plus luggage... I looked into arranging a van, and that seems expensive. We're staying right between Ipanema and Copacabana.
Then getting around the city, we're looking at taking two cabs everywhere we go? Any advice is appreciated!!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by boboqui
Rio is a city where you always have be on the alert regarding security. Don't just take any taxi in the middle of the night and disappear into thin air, as has happened to some unlucky few. For about $50 you get a comfortable and reasonably safe ride to the hotel.

http://www.aeroportogaleao.net/en/ta...aneiro-airport

I decided to take Cootramo and, while the ride was fine (clean car, competent driver), getting to the car wasn't particularly easy. I prepaid and printed my voucher, and on arrival I went out to where the taxis are. No obvious blue cars. So I went back inside to look for their booth, which took forever to find. It's not with the other taxi company booths, but sort of hidden around a corner (and you have to enter an cordoned-off area guarded by two guards - which is why I didn't enter it until I explored the whole terminal and figured the ONLY place the booth could be is in this area). Anyway, at the booth, the agent leafs through a stack of papers and pulls out a big sign with my name on it. Uh, why wasn't she standing at the customs exit holding that sign? Isn't that what I paid for? Whatever. Welcome to Brazil!

Anyway, next time I come to Rio, I'll just take Aerotaxi.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:52 am

Rio is a city where you always have be on the alert regarding security. Don't just take any taxi in the middle of the night and disappear into thin air, as has happened to some unlucky few.
Yet another tourist dissaperance at GIG. I hope he is found well.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-3...search/7458156
Old May 30, 2016, 9:39 am

Yet another tourist dissaperance at GIG. I hope he is found well.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-3...search/7458156
Yet another? I don't have a google news alert set for GIG kidnappings but in my 4 years here this is the first one I have heard of. Is this a thing or are you overreacting?
Old May 30, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Esmjb
Is this a thing or are you overreacting?
Total overreaction (and I think it's a bit irresponsible to post this). The guy went missing only a couple of days ago, and latest I heard on the news today, he was seen going into an apartment building in Copa with a girl, and coming out alone 3h later. Hardly a kidnapping, and especially not connected to GIG. Plenty of police around at GIG, never feels unsafe (same can't be said for the airport's vicinity, but then you wouldn't have any reason to be in that area, although the occasional carjacking does occur on the way into town).
Old May 30, 2016, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
It can happen in any city, hence the reason why at airports across the USA there is a familiar announcement not to accept a ride from anyone except the official taxi, airport van services.

But current news is that he left the airport and checked into an apartment in Copacabana, 3 hours after check in he went out.

Yet another? I don't have a google news alert set for GIG kidnappings but in my 4 years here this is the first one I have heard of. Is this a thing or are you overreacting?

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; May 30, 2016 at 9:38 pm
Old May 31, 2016, 10:47 am
Suspended

I agree, I'm on my 5th trip to Brazil this year, in Rio right now. It has to be one of the beautiful, vibrant, colorful cities I have ever been to. I really don't find the negative press and comments just. In SF we have tourist robbed and killed, a recent one was caught on camera, an Asian Tourist was robbed and fatally stabbed in the head. Last year a tourists was killed in Golden Gate Park. Additionally, if you go out at night pick pockets in clubs is common, I've been a victim several times in clubs in SOMA.

[redacted]

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 1, 2016 at 12:28 am Reason: removed deleted quote
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Update on missing Aussie, per Globo News

It turns out the missing Australian ingested MDMA (ecstasy) or NBOMe (hallucinogen) with his friend in Lapa and suffered a psychotic episode. They were so paranoid that they left the hostel for the airport without tickets (fearing the other guests were after them). At the airport they argued then the missing person took a cab to Copacabana and rented an apartment for 3 days. He left his belongings in the apartment and the next day was seen (injured and disoriented) by a fisherman on an uninhabited island 900 meters off of Leme. This was on the 22nd of May. A subsequent search of the island revealed nothing.

This had nothing to do with criminals or cabs. Self-destructive behavior resulting in a sad ending for all.

*Update* 8th of June, a body has been found on a beach on the Niteroi side of the bay with similar clothing to the missing person. A DNA test is pending.

Last edited by too2early; Jun 8, 2016 at 5:41 pm Reason: updated info
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I agree, I'm on my 5th trip to Brazil this year, in Rio right now. It has to be one of the beautiful, vibrant, colorful cities I have ever been to. I really don't find the negative press and comments just. In SF we have tourist robbed and killed, a recent one was caught on camera, an Asian Tourist was robbed and fatally stabbed in the head. Last year a tourists was killed in Golden Gate Park. Additionally, if you go out at night pick pockets in clubs is common, I've been a victim several times in clubs in SOMA.
I love Rio too but please be realistic. An Argentinian tourist was stabbed to death on Copacabana beach earlier this year. Last week a woman was found murdered with her undergarments missing at posto 3. (Copacabana Beach) The night following the murder, a man was arrested for attempted rape and strangulation of a woman that was lucky to survive. (In the same area) The man arrested is suspected in the murder and has multiple previous arrests for rape.

Links available if anyone is in doubt. (Portuguese)
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:32 am
Suspended

Give me a BREAK!!!

Where I work which is one of the most wealthiest cities in the USA just recently someone was raped by a 20 year old white male and she could have been killed. Also when I went to school in Palo Alto, CA nightly the sound of GUN FIRE could be heard from E. Palo Alto. Last weekend in Chicago 7 were killed and 32 wounded... One person was killed in the South Loop! AND, July 4th 2013 there were 74 shootings in the Windy City 12 killed.

Yes I am realistic, crime can happen anywhere, in some places there is more crime. It can even happens in wealthy suburbs in America.

Originally Posted by too2early
I love Rio too but please be realistic. An Argentinian tourist was stabbed to death on Copacabana beach earlier this year. Last week a woman was found murdered with her undergarments missing at posto 3. (Copacabana Beach) The night following the murder, a man was arrested for attempted rape and strangulation of a woman that was lucky to survive. (In the same area) The man arrested is suspected in the murder and has multiple previous arrests for rape.

Links available if anyone is in doubt. (Portuguese)
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Give me a BREAK!!!.
Yes we all know anything can happen anywhere. What matters is the probabilities. Brazil has 32 of the 50 most violent cities in the world. Link.
The homicide rate is 10 times higher than the US. Link.

That being said it is still very unlikely anyone who comes here will be murdered or even robbed. Be smart and use common sense. Don't pretend it is paradise.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:14 am
Suspended

Y\. Don't pretend it is paradise.
It's a city of 6 million and and metro area of 16 Million.... This is what make RIO interesting, it's vibrant, cultured, a unique huge city set in a stunning location. FYI: To me NYC is paradise from harlem, the bronx to lower manhattan ... I love big, vibrant, CRAZY, a city with an edge. So your definition of paradise maybe much different than mine. So don't tell me not to pretend it's not paradise, to me Kauai would be torture... BORING.

My point is I find it ridiculous for anyone to complain about the crime if you are from America... there are cities in the US who have a higher homicide rate than Rio or Sao Paulo. Detroit, St Louis, Chicago and our Nations Capital for example. Have you hung out in the U-Street Corridor in DC, lots of crime. I rent out a place not far from the convention center and often you will hear gun fire at night, it's an up and coming neighborhood just a short walk from the US Capital Building.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by too2early
It turns out the missing Australian ingested MDMA (ecstasy) or NBOMe (hallucinogen) with his friend in Lapa and suffered a psychotic episode.
Yet another death from recreational drugs, how sad...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:42 am

Had a 645am flight from GIG yesterday (sat). Grabbed an uber at 445 which took only 3 min to arrive. No traffic at that hour obviously and total bill was 41 reais, the cheapest I've had yet. Note: he dropped us off in the parking structure by the elevator to the terminal to avoid potential violence from taxistas and said when ordering an uber to pick you up at the airport to call the driver once ordered and confirm pick up area also in parking structure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.